Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthcare cover requirements for the 457 sponsorship visa????

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

So I've had a bit of back and forth with the Australian High Commission in London. Here are the relevant bits (my question first, their response after):
    Thank you, I have read the material below previously. Ireland has a RHCA but unlike any other country where a 457 is needed, you do not need to enrol in Medicare to avail of it. You only need to provide your passport at point of contact. I would like you to confirm that health or travel insurance is therefore not needed, as Irish passport holders are already covered by the RHCA. Can you confirm or deny that specific request please?
    As previously advised, all 457 visa holders are required to maintain health insurance for the duration of their stay in Australia. As a citizen of a country with a RHCA with Australia, evidence of travel insurance will still be required for the purpose of the grant of the visa even if you are not required to register with Medicare once in Australia.

So I'm taking it that insurance is required for the visa application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 rahanpob

csm wrote: »
    So I've had a bit of back and forth with the Australian High Commission in London. Here are the relevant bits (my question first, their response after):

So I'm taking it that insurance is required for the visa application.

Hi Folks,

I (my company) applied for my 457 visa some weeks ago. I was not asked or did i give any evidence of having any health insurance. I received confirmation, yesterday, that I have been granted my 457 visa (along with my defacto partner whom is also Irish).

My visa was granted on based upon the following two conditions,

A) Condition - 8501
    The visa holder must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during their stay in Australia.

B)Condition - 8107
    Condition 8107 requires that a primary holder of a subclass 457 visa, sponsored to work in Australia must work only:
    1) in the occupation listed in the most recently approved nomination for the holder; and
    2) for the standard business sponsor, former standard business sponsor, party to a labour agreement or former party to a labour agreement (the sponsor) who nominated the holder in the most recently approved nomination, or the associated entity of the sponsor, for the purpose of fulfilling a requirement under a law relating to industrial relations and relating to the giving of notice; and an associated entity of the sponsor; unless:
    (i) the holder's occupation is specified in an instrument in writing or
    (ii) the holder is continuing to work for the sponsor, or the associated entity of the sponsor, for the purpose of fulfilling a requirement under a law relating to industrial relations and relating to the giving of notice; and
    3) if the holder ceases employment - the period during which the holder ceases employment must not exceed 28 consecutive days.

Make what you will from this.
    Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

I actually ended up discussing this with a manager in admissions at Royal North Shore last week - yes the Irish passport provides adequate insurance, and will cover most eventualities. If you're pregnant before you arrive in Australia, you are also covered fully for any admission. If you get pregnant while there you are not covered for the admission, but are covered for all treatment.

She advised getting health insurance if we were planning on another baby while we're here, otherwise our reciprocal will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 olearyj1

rahanpob wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I (my company) applied for my 457 visa some weeks ago. I was not asked or did i give any evidence of having any health insurance. I received confirmation, yesterday, that I have been granted my 457 visa (along with my defacto partner whom is also Irish).

A) Condition - 8501
    The visa holder must maintain adequate arrangements for health insurance during their stay in Australia.

B)Condition - 8107
    Condition 8107 requires that a primary holder of a subclass 457 visa, sponsored to work in Australia must work only:
    1) in the occupation listed in the most recently approved nomination for the holder; and
    2) for the standard business sponsor, former standard business sponsor, party to a labour agreement or former party to a labour agreement (the sponsor) who nominated the holder in the most recently approved nomination, or the associated entity of the sponsor, for the purpose of fulfilling a requirement under a law relating to industrial relations and relating to the giving of notice; and an associated entity of the sponsor; unless:
    (ii) the holder is continuing to work for the sponsor, or the associated entity of the sponsor, for the purpose of fulfilling a requirement under a law relating to industrial relations and relating to the giving of notice; and
    3) if the holder ceases employment - the period during which the holder ceases employment must not exceed 28 consecutive days.

Regards.

I have experienced the exact same process i.e. obtained 457 Visa without producing evidence of health insurance.....

To be on the safe side, i'm now thinking of paying for one......can someone please advise of the best aussie one to go with? OR would it be better to go with VHI from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I have full Medicare and I still have Private insurance, cant imagine why people don't want to pay it.

It covers me for Hospital, Ambulance and dental.

I cant think of anything as bad as getting a toothache and having to pay $2K to get it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pf85

I've a similar query on this issue and would be grateful if anyone know the answer..

Im going to Australia on Friday for a month's holiday. I live in NI but have an Irish passport- am I covered for any medical care whilst im over there ie. if I need to be taken to hospital say for a broken leg? Am I covered or will I have to pay out for all expenses?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

pf85 wrote: »
    I've a similar query on this issue and would be grateful if anyone know the answer..

Im going to Australia on Friday for a month's holiday. I live in NI but have an Irish passport- am I covered for any medical care whilst im over there ie. if I need to be taken to hospital say for a broken leg? Am I covered or will I have to pay out for all expenses?

Thanks

You are covered for emergency medical treatment in hospitals, not sure about GPs. That's everything from car crashes to needing a few stiches to breaking a bone. Bring your passport to hospital with you should the worst happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

rahanpob wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

A) Condition - 8501

B)Condition - 8107

Regards.

just got my visa and it was the exact same as the above. i rang immi to try clarify and when i told him i had a 'reciprocal health care card' he said i didnt need insurance. just one thing, he told me that when i returned to oz on my 457 i should go to medicare and show them my new visa.........the best explaination i could get for that was it was just for their records.

Advertisement