Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marato de Barcelona 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Yeah i was going to post yesterday about your 10k time. It surprised me a little to. I would have had you at about 42ish according to your training times. You are doing some great training at the moment and your 10k time will tumble down if you keep it up. Good luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Tuesday 14.12.10 pm run

11.21km (6.97 miles :D) easy(ish)
    53:27 mins
    Avg Pace 4:46/km (7.64 min/miles)
    Avg HR 168bpm

Felt a bit sluggish and tired in the middle of this last night. Usually have my 1st quality session on the Wednesday night of each week but think i will switch to Thursday night and go for an easy run tonight in preparation.

Wednesday 15.12.10 pm run

Nothing really special to report on this one. Still feeling a bit jaded and legs a bit sore around the calves and ankles for some reason.

Easy Run

6.52km (4.05 miles)
    32:39 mins
    Avg Pace 5.00/km (8 min/mile)

The resheduled aware 10k might be a good race for you mate. Id say you would smash 45 mins in a race.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    The resheduled aware 10k might be a good race for you mate. Id say you would smash 45 mins in a race.

Was eyeing that up alright Oisin. Think i will head down and have a punt at low 40's for that. Should be a good indicator of where i'm at for Barca.

• Advertisement

dare2be wrote: »
    Was eyeing that up alright Oisin. Think i will head down and have a punt at low 40's for that. Should be a good indicator of where i'm at for Barca.

Might give it a go myself. Although that course is a bitch. Id say if your rested ect.. with race excitment sub 42 at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

just found this d2b. Good luck with targets and fair play adding the mliles in too ;)

That 10km time is irrelevant IMO. As you said the two week lay off and longish running at the weekend. Have you targets for a 10m or a half before Barca?

Keep it up!

just found this d2b. Good luck with targets and fair play adding the mliles in too ;)

That 10km time is irrelevant IMO. As you said the two week lay off and longish running at the weekend. Have you targets for a 10m or a half before Barca?

Keep it up!

Cheers Misty. I suppose a lot of people can relate to the miles in their logs so it will hopefully generate a bit of interest and i may get some feedback based on mileage instead of kilometerage.

No targets yet regards a 10miler or half marathon. Must have a look at the A/R/T events or run ireland and plan something quickly. As said before, the Aware 10k is a race i will target anyway.

Thursday 16.12.10

Rest Day. Decided to rest up and allow the legs to recover. I don't think i have the stamina built up yet for 7 day consecutive running. The rest days really benefit me i reckon.

Friday 17.12.10 pm run

Quallity session

17.55km (10.95 miles)

Time: 1:30:26

I didn't set this up on the Garmin as a workout as i wasn't too sure if i could get it done due to the snow and my headlamp breaking on the start of the run, about 3k in...

Anyways

17.55km was broken into approx 5k as an easy run
    1x5min Tempo pace 4.20/km (6.97min/miles) with a 2-min rest
    2x10min Tempo pace 4.20/km (6.97min/miles) with 2-min rest

The remaining distance was completed at easy pace

Sorry about the stats being a bit vague but as i said, i wasn't too sure if i would get this session completed on my way out tonight but at least i got it done and i'm not cheating myself out of it.

Felt ok running on the smowy paths but jumped onto the road in more quieter areas.

I usually would have done this session earlier in the week so my LSR (2nd quality session) may have to be on Sunday with an easy run tomorrow.

Hopefully should be on for the 50 miles this week.

I'm seriously considering making the trek down to Dungarvan for the 10 miler in the new year so should see a lot of you there.

Saturday 18.12.10 pm run

11.34km (7.05 miles) easy (very easy)
    56:48 mins
    Avg pace 5:00/km (8:00/mile)

Snow covered footpaths so mostly on the road getting all sorts of looks and stares. Started to snow on the way home with temperature -4. Luckily haven't even had a slip yet never mind a fall (touch wood). Trail run tomorrow for the LSR so hopefully will be able to keep a good pace.

• Advertisement

Sunday 20.12.10 am run

Trail run through a couple of inches of snow. Tough going at times and felt like 2 paces forward, 2 paces back and near double the distance as a result. Had to run a lot slower than my easy pace most of the way but good to get the workout all the same. Really feels like you are using muscles not normally strained on a normal run.

Met 3 other runners on my way out so wasn't the only one getting strange looks from passer by's. It's great when you are doing something a bit different and people look at you shaking their heads :D

16.06km/9.97 miles
    1:27:32
    Avg pace: 5:27/km (8.76min/miles)

Not a bad week all in all. Will post up weekly summary in due course

Week 13 of the plan

Planned Mileage: 50
    Actual Mileage: 44

Missed session/rest day on Thursday meant i missed the planned mileage target but i'd rather be short by 6 miles than miss a quality session like the one i did on Friday.

Next weeks planned mileage is 45 and is more or less a replica of this week apart from the weekends quality run (Christmas day morning?? :D)

So, Christmas and New Year have come and gone and i'm still hanging in there with the Barca plans. I missed a full week though from the 20.12.10 to 26.12.10 due to hectic in work to get finished up for the holidays, my christmas lunch/drinking binge and Christmas Day itself. It was only on the 27.12.10 that i started to get my act back together again, so i will start my round up from there.

Monday 27.12.10

14.58km/9.06 miles
    1:10:19
    Avg Pace 4:49km/ 7.75min miles

Tuesday 28.12.10

Mountain trail run in Kilbroney Pk, Rostrevor, Co. Down

11.07km/6.9 miles
    1:07:48
    Avg Pace 6.07km/9.78min miles

Headed off on my own but was caught by a more experienced hill runner soon into my run. I didn't really want any company at the time probably because i'm used to running on my own but i was actually glad he stuck with me. Very enjoyable run. Legs a bit sore the following day but a great workout and adds a bit of variety to the training.

Wednesday 29.12.10

20.01km/12.43 miles
    1:34:28
    Avg Pace 4:43km/7.13min miles

Longest run to date i have completed. I wasn't sure how i would fare with this to be honest as the previous days exertions up the mountains had my legs in a bit of a mess. Started off slowly then increased the pace gradually. Stuck with it until about the 16km/10 mile pace when i started to fade, with the last 2km/1.5 miles a real killer. Just thought to myself that you have to do this again kid in 10 weeks time!! Didn't take any water or gels on the run. Good feeling to clock up decent mileage in one run.

Thursday 30.12.10

Rest Day. Knackered after yesterdays session.

Friday 31.12.10

Rest Day. Painted the kitchen so didn't get out for a run betweeen that and build up to the new year celebrations.

Saturday 01.01.11

Rest Day. Hangover from hell. Sick as a dog until my mums dinner brought me round a bit.

Sunday 02.01.11

18.47km/11.47 miles
    1:28:42
    Avg Pace 4:48km/7.21 miles

New trainers on for this. Adidas Adizero Adios, great shoe, christmas pressie from the wife. Didn't even break these things in and i completed the mileage without a mark on my feet. If these things are good enough for Haile then they are good enough for me :D. Hopefully they bring me around Barca in under 3:15:00...

Monday 03.01.11

15.41km/9.57 miles
    1:12:49
    Avg Pace 4:43km/7.13 min miles

Waited until nearly dark until i went out. Took too long to decide on my route (anybody else have that problem??) Took the head torch in case i wanted to do something different and that i did. Country roads in the dead of night, very little cars or anything else. Met and passed a few GAA players out for a jog, they probably wanted me to stay with them to light up their way but i had bigger fish to fry. I would have broke 45mins for 10k easily last night but the run took in a major hill at about 8k mark and so i lost the momentum. About 2k from home started to feel very light headed and sort of dizzy. Maybe not a lot of fluids taken on board during the day was the factor there, must make that a new year resolution - drink more water.

So, thats an update of the log over the last while. I will be back on now on a daily basis to update, really hate typing long logs.

Happy new Year to everybody and here's to a great year of training and racing, hopefully :)

Tuesday 04.01.11

11.21km/6.96 miles easy
    54:00 mins
    Avg Pace 4:49km/7.45min mile
    Avg HR 164bpm

Tough run last night. Very sluggish the whole way around the route. Bit of uphill work against heavy wind and rain made it that much harder.

I have a bit of a slight sharp pain down the lhs of my left thigh. Rest day today i reckon just in case it flares up into an injury. First of the weeks quality session planned for Thursday then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

your mile times and training certainly look good for 3:15. Just make sure you are varying things enough, many of your runs are of same duration and distance, you don't want to get stale.

See you on the start line in Barca, I'm looking for a similar time to you...

christeb wrote: »
    your mile times and training certainly look good for 3:15. Just make sure you are varying things enough, many of your runs are of same duration and distance, you don't want to get stale.

See you on the start line in Barca, I'm looking for a similar time to you...

That's very true Christeb. In fact it was running through my mind last night, here i am pushing out another 10/11km during the week when maybe i should/have to be doing more. Although last night was a bit of a struggle round.

Thanks for the advice and it's something i need to work on but one of the problems is that most of the routes i take are the same distance and i don't have that much of a choice on the dark nights only head out into the country roads with the head torch.

The wife reckons i'm gonna kill myself (or get killed some of these evenings) :(

I hate doing laps of the same route but maybe needs must.

Yeah see you on the start line. Booked our hotel yesterday so that's another less thing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

I can be tough if you don't have nice running routes. I'm very lucky in that regard living in Raheny.
    Can I ask where you booked - did you get a good deal? I still need to find a place.

christeb wrote: »
    I can be tough if you don't have nice running routes. I'm very lucky in that regard living in Raheny.
    Can I ask where you booked - did you get a good deal? I still need to find a place.

Yip, i booked the Catatonia Port located in Ciutat Vella district of the city. Its about 1.5 miles or so to the start line from hotel so i thought it to be handy enough from what is still available. Not a great deal i suppose €194 for 2 nights which is about what most of the hotels are charging.

Thursday 06.01.11

The plan called up the following session for last night

2 mile easy
    20mins tempo pace
    10mins easy
    20mins tempo pace
    2 mile easy

After reading TBB's log yesterday it seemed to be a little f*?ker of a session but these have to be done. He had done it the previous night and recorded some impressive times. Could i get anywhere close??

Lap 1: 3.32km/2.06 miles
    15:50 mins
    Avg Pace 4:46km/7.52min mile
    HR 165bpm

Lap 2: 4.63km/2.88 miles
    20:00 mins
    Avg Pace 4:19km/6.95min mile
    HR 169bpm

Lap 3: 2.08km/1.3 miles
    10:00 mins
    Avg Pace 4:49km/7.7min mile
    HR 161bpm

Lap 4: 4.63km/2.88 miles
    20:00 mins
    Avg Pace 4:19km/6.95min mile
    HR 169bpm

Lap 5: 3.32km/2.06 miles
    16:04 mins
    Avg Pace 4:50km/7.8min mile
    HR 162bpm

Session Summary

17.97km/11.16 miles
    Time: 1:21:54
    Avg Pace: 4:33km/7.3min mile
    Avg HR 165bpm

Have to say i enjoyed this session. Knackered after it and had to take myself off to bed once i scoffed my dinner. Really felt like i pushed myself over the 5 laps. Love the way the Garmin tells you to 'speed up' until you reach 'desired pace'; its the 1st time i used the workout function on the Garmin although i have a question on it for Krusty in his Megathread section... :)

I compared my times to that of TBB's and i'm still a way off his times but i always know i would be but it's still a marker as to where i'm at.

I'm going to give this Waterford half a rattle next weekend (pending accommodation!) . Need a few races under my belt and whilst it's a long trip down it may be worth it come early March.

I'm still a bit worried about endurance so plenty more work needed :D

Now were talking. I love the 100 second minutes by the way, had me confused for ages:D

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Now were talking. I love the 100 second minutes by the way, had me confused for ages:D

You like Oisin? Have to say i was happy with it when i was on the 2nd 20minute lap. It felt good and felt right. The new shoes are working a treat but my shins are a bit sore. I'm worried that they are not giving me the support i may need but that was only their 2nd outing so i'm giving them a chance.

I'm booked in for Waterford half next weekend. Anybody offer any sound advice for next weeks sessions? Obviously, the race will replace one quality session planned for that weekend but what about the other one during the week? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

You like Oisin? Have to say i was happy with it when i was on the 2nd 20minute lap. It felt good and felt right. The new shoes are working a treat but my shins are a bit sore. I'm worried that they are not giving me the support i may need but that was only their 2nd outing so i'm giving them a chance.

I'm booked in for Waterford half next weekend. Anybody offer any sound advice for next weeks sessions? Obviously, the race will replace one quality session planned for that weekend but what about the other one during the week? :o

good running dtb - will stand to you.

Just a quick note on your LSRs. Have you been over 14-15 yet? Need to start getting time on your feet IMO, there is time yet but I would concentrate on getting the quality LSRs in - very important. You can be as fast as you like but a marathon is all about being able to prolong the moment when the sugar runs out at a given pace - LSRs (over 17 miles at a minimum, preferably with a few good 20 miles + done before the race) are as important as speed sessions.

Keep it up - looking forward to meeting you in barcelona

good running dtb - will stand to you.

Just a quick note on your LSRs. Have you been over 14-15 yet? Need to start getting time on your feet IMO, there is time yet but I would concentrate on getting the quality LSRs in - very important. You can be as fast as you like but a marathon is all about being able to prolong the moment when the sugar runs out at a given pace - LSRs (over 17 miles at a minimum, preferably with a few good 20 miles + done before the race) are as important as speed sessions.

Keep it up - looking forward to meeting you in barcelona

Haven't been over 14 miles yet TBB and that is my concern and what came into my head last night, i still have another 20+ km's to go here, will i have the stamina to last to the end. I'm not taking any water on gels etc on my runs to date.

Based on what you have said i will shelve a recovery run tonight and increase my LSR distance on Sat/Sun and take it up close or to the 20miles.

As you say, time on the feet is key

Thanks for the advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Haven't been over 14 miles yet TBB and that is my concern and what came into my head last night, i still have another 20+ km's to go here, will i have the stamina to last to the end. I'm not taking any water on gels etc on my runs to date.

Based on what you have said i will shelve a recovery run tonight and increase my LSR distance on Sat/Sun and take it up close or to the 20miles.

As you say, time on the feet is key

Thanks for the advice

Be careful though - if 14 is the max you have done before then 15-16 would be sensible this weekend, then 16-18, then 18+ IMO. A straight jump from 14 to 20 is risking injury IMO.

Be careful though - if 14 is the max you have done before then 15-16 would be sensible this weekend, then 16-18, then 18+ IMO. A straight jump from 14 to 20 is risking injury IMO.

Yeah well this is it. Daniels has me down for doing 25% of my weekly mileage (50miles this week) which obviously equates to 12.5 miles. I'm sticking to the plan but as yet it isn't giving me the mileage. Suppose thats where i need to tweak it. 50 mpw is not huge mileage but its all i can do giving work & life circumstances as you well know. I'll take it to 16 miles and increase from there accordingly.

Cheers :)

Yeah dont forget there is only ~6 weeks taking taper into account. Id chance 17 this week then 20 at the latest in 2 weeks. Id go as far as 24 also, 22 minimum. As tbb says there is no substitute for going long and time on feet. Your on the right track. Maybe join one of the group runs in the park for your 20 if dreading it.

Sound advice Oisin. I'll take it to 16/17 tomorrow, see how it goes. I'm not based in Dublin so making a group session in the park is prob not an option. I've taken it this far on my own and have got used to it. When I done London a few years back I hit the wall at approx mile 17 and it was pure pain grim there. Don't want to feel like that again so from now on I'll push ip the l mileage steadily. That year I think I only had 1 long run and that was about 18 miles. It's a learning process so thanks for the tips so far.

Saturday 08.1.11

On the recommendation of Oisin & TBB i upped the mileage for todays LSR. It was a good test

26.37km/16.4miles
    2:14:10
    Avg Pace 5:05km/8:12min mile
    Avg HR 163bpm

Snow fell last night and i was in 2 minds over whether to go out today or leave it to tomorrow. I like a lie-in of a Sunday so it was an easy decision eventually.

An out and back route for this as i could be sure of the distance. Felt great until km 21/22 when i started to fade. I didn't bring any water with me and i was dying for a drink, even contemplated taking a sip from the side of the canal where i run but i was close to home by this stage, sucked up a bit of HTFU and plodded on. The last 2k or so was uphill and i tired badly but was happy enough that i passed 20k mark in 1:40:xx. Met by a neighbour ''you shouldn't be running in that, bad for the heart'' :rolleyes:

I wasn't too sure where to park myself for next weekends Waterford half. Id love to have a go for 1:30:00 but may get into the 1:40:00 group and maybe push on from there. Any thoughts??

Happy with my pacing for this. Daniels has my easy pace at 5:20/km (8:34min/mile).

Good run mate. 18, 20 the next 2 weeks and you will be flying.
    As reguards the half id say do your own thing. Id say 1.30 might be a bit hot for you and 1.40 way to slow. Id say do your own thing and see how you feel, you know your body best.

• Advertisement

Sunday 09.01.11

10.07km/6.25 miles
    51:45 mins
    Avg Pace 5:08km/8:16min mile
    Avg HR: 166bpm

Reacovery run after Saturdays LSR. Bit of snow and ice still lying about but i was mostly on a flat route so didn't really matter. Passed a couple of LSR looking runners along the way but wasn't pushing the pace.

Legs a bit sore today. I've still got this niggly pain down left side of my left thigh which is causing a bit of concern so i'm resting up tonight.

Waterford half marathon on Saturday so will have to plan this weeks runs carefully, probably decent mileage Tuesday & Wednesday, rest Thursday with Friday evening spent travelling down there.

Weekly Distance 81.03km/50.32 miles

Advertisement