Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marato de Barcelona 2011

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Good run mate. 18, 20 the next 2 weeks and you will be flying.
    As reguards the half id say do your own thing. Id say 1.30 might be a bit hot for you and 1.40 way to slow. Id say do your own thing and see how you feel, you know your body best.

+1 well done d2b. Good luck in the half. Id pace the half at 10-20 sec/mile slower than tempo pace to start with, and see how that feels after 6-7 miles, if youre feeling strong at that point then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭dare2be

Good run mate. 18, 20 the next 2 weeks and you will be flying.
    As reguards the half id say do your own thing. Id say 1.30 might be a bit hot for you and 1.40 way to slow. Id say do your own thing and see how you feel, you know your body best.

Cheers Oisin. Somewhere around 1:35 i would be happy with. Not racing it but not taking it lightly either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Yeah if you can finish 1h35 and feel like you had more in you, you would be in good shape for 3h15m in barca. I did a 1h34 in training before my 3h13m marathon and the last 3 miles were the fastest and i wasnt depleted. You are definatly on the right track with your training. Its time for the pain to begin:D

Monday 10.01.11

Planned rest day after LSR & recovery runs over the weekend.

Tuesday 11.01.11

An unplanned rest day. I've still got this niggle in my left leg that i badly want to shake off before the weekend. Also felt the symptoms of a cold coming on yesterday, you know that tickly dry throat feeling :mad: so decided against going for a light run. Got up this morning, leg much better and no sign of a cold yet *touches wood*.

Last night i was going trying to get a race strategy pulled together for Waterford. Think i will park myself in with the 1hr 40 pacer up until half way point with the backmarkers from the 1hr 30 group in eyeshot and then kick on from there. Weather conditions are to be strong headwinds on the way out with the wind at our backs on the home leg so it may suit my plan alright. Bit of thought still needed but its a start.

I'll go out tonight for a few easy miles with some intervals threw in to get the legs going again.

Wednesday 13.01.11

7.56km/4.7 miles
    38:36 mins
    Avg Pace: 5.06km/8:13min mile
    Avg HR:155bpm

Legs sore and heavy for the first few miles so i stopped and stretched them out. This run was to have a few intervals thrown in but i soon binned that idea. Was a bit of a struggle the whole way to be honest. Heavy legged, no real kick so i headed for home a bit earlier than planned. Not the greatest confidence booster for Waterford.

Anyhow, that will be my last run before Saturday i think as i've something else planned for tonight so not expecting to be able to get out and Friday evening will be spent travelling down to Waterford. Hopefully it will be all worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Good luck down there, I hope you get a nice day for it.

Your going to have days were you feel great and days were you feel ****. You just gotta listen to your body and you did that. Good luck down in waterford.

Saturday 15.01.11 – Waterford AC Half Marathon

I entered this race as part of my Barcelona Race preparation. I had originally intended to do the Dungarvan 10 miler but as this was obviously over a longer distance I went for it instead. This was my first ever half marathon and only my 3rd ever competitive pure road race, the others being the London Marathon and a 10k previously. It is a great distance to run over, a good step up from a 10k, a bit more than the 10miler (which I’ve never done).

Anyway off we set on Friday evening & arrived in Waterford. On the way down I saw the clouds starting to gather and felt the wind starting to pick up pace. I knew Saturday’s forecast was to be for heavy rain and gusts, the forecast it seemed wasn’t far wrong!!

Saturday morning 8am I awoke and headed for breakfast with the wife. She was booked in for a spa day and was loading up on the carbs for her half marathon of treatments, I was loading up for a run against myself and the elements. Started to think that I was a bit early with the breakfast but had read somewhere to have your last meal about 3 hours before the race so I was alright. I always need a bit longer to digest food before a run. I had studied the route and planned my race carefully during the week (when I should have been working) and I was running it once more in my head at the breakfast table

Back to the room and got the gear on, wished the wife good luck and she the same. Arrived at the RSC about 10.45am, collected my race number, few warm up laps on the track coupled with 4 toilet breaks and I was ready. At this stage I was getting impatient and just wanted it started. The call came for all runners to head up to Woodies for the start. A mixture of jogs and walking got me there and I spotted the 1.40 pacer. From here to the half way mark these 2 guys never left my sight! My race strategy was to run with this group until half way and then push on for my target time of 1.35. The conditions eased a small bit before the gun but it looked like my 1.35 was not going to be done today, many people said the same but I was here to get a good result and I was determined to get it.

So a bit of a cheer and we were off, couple of hundred metres the pacers balloons head out into the Waterford sky (don’t know why they use these balloons) and I get nestled in behind the 1.40’s. Good encouragement from the start from the 2 boys and from those lined up on the street to cheer us on. Most of the outward journey was non eventful, the pacers called for 3 runners at a time to come up to the front to share the load, I contributed twice, a lot didn’t! Anyway, no big deal. A lot of the group seemed like good seasoned runners but I was holding my own, nice and relaxed, comfortable breathing and as the miles progressed I was feeling good but there was a long way to go. I looked at the Garmin constantly to check the pace, sometimes we were pushing it and had to ease off, sometimes we dropped mainly on the long drags into the wind and had to pick it up. The water stop at mile 4 came and I took a few sips, I didn’t need it but the hunger was starting to come on me and the few sips kept it at bay until the finish. I didn’t take on anymore water over the remainder of the race.

I was through 10k mark in 0:45:xx still with the group and was starting to think about making the move. At this stage we were running through a secondary road, mostly a rolling route and all of a sudden the half way marker appeared. I continued 500m past until a down hill section and I said goodbye to the group and made my way onto the main road again. I’m on my own I said to myself so I upped the pace to 4.06/km (6.35min/mile) and let rip. I started to pass a few and had a group of runners in my sights, passed them and it was all downhill from there. I was in the zone, concentrated on my pace whilst staying relaxed. Got great encouragement from both spectators, marshals and fellow runners. I took a few glances back to the 1.40 group. They were getting further away but I was beginning to doubt I have left it too late. Passed a lone runner at mile 9 ‘good running’ he said, asked me what I was going for, 1.35 I shouted on passing his shoulder, keep pushing he said so I let him go and did just that. Next group contained a lady Waterford AC runner looking strong and towing a group of guys, passed them and I was on the home straight. Mile 10 & 11 arrived and I started to constantly look at the Garmin, doing arithmetic in my head, trying to predict a time for my pace. I still had plenty in the tank to reel a few more runners in. My new Adidas Adios were doing me proud although they started to squeak on the new road surface heading back into Waterford. Here I see a motorcyclist come off his bike, slippy road, said he was alright and got back onto his bike, so did I, increased the pace another small notch. A carrick on suir triathlete was next in my sights and I passed him at mile 12, one more 7 min mile I said to myself and I’m on for this. I could see the stand in the RSC at this stage and I kicked for home again, onto the footpath, another look at the watch and I was in the stadium. The last 100m was the hardest of the whole race, I emptied the tank and crossed the line and with all the emotion for a few seconds forgot to stop the watch. When I did it read 1:33:56. Get f**ckin in there I said myself as I looked at the watch again just to make sure. Delighted and a bit sore I walked to get a banana and my goody bag. I had got what I came to get and it did feel good. I quickly headed for the car to get changed and took advantage of the tea and rocky roads on offer.

The agony of the morning soon turned to ecstasy in the afternoon, if I can reproduce that performance in Barcelona I will happy.

It’s good to be a runner

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/63797728

Summary

21.11Km/13.1 miles
    1:33:56
    Avg Pace 4:27km/ 7.10min mile
    Avg HR 162bpm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

well done d2b - great race on a tough day for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Nice running....the 45 minute 10k in the middle of it must have been a nice feeling as well

• Advertisement

well done d2b - great race on a tough day for it!

Cheers tbb, tough conditions but navigated my way through it ok. Happy enough with my performance on the day, could have pushed a bit more for the 90mins but maybe another day

catweazle wrote: »
    Nice running....the 45 minute 10k in the middle of it must have been a nice feeling as well

Thanks Cat, yes the 45mins i can do in training and i would have broken that time if i hadn't have tagged along with the 1.40 pacers. 42 mins would have been my ideal time

Monday 17.01.11

18.02km/11.2 miles
    1:31:27
    Avg Pace 5:04km/8.10min mile
    No HR Monitor

Easy run last night as i had Sunday off after the HM. Felt great on this throughout although legs started to tire on the last couple of km's but i could have done more should i have wanted to.

These next 5/6 weeks i will really have to step up both the mileage and quality of the sessions if i want to do anywhere near well in Barcelona. The HM really gave me a confidence boost and if i could get a few more races in it would help but i'm not too worried of they don't come off.

Apologies to some readers of the log who detest long race reports like mine above, got a bit carried away with the word count. I was actually going through the whole thing in my head whilst running on Saturday. Suppose it helped blank out the pain on the homeward leg of the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sounds like you had a similiar race plan to mine and we ran in the same group for the first few miles, i was wearing the blue WAR top.

Sounds like you had a similiar race plan to mine and we ran in the same group for the first few miles, i was wearing the blue WAR top.

Hmm, didn't notice the WAR logo but there were at least 2 guys in blue tops running with the group. What i did notice was the guy at the front for the first few miles who was wearing a winter cycling jacket. How he wore that thing i'll never know.

Did you break from the group at halfway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

dare2be wrote: »
    Hmm, didn't notice the WAR logo but there were at least 2 guys in blue tops running with the group. What i did notice was the guy at the front for the first few miles who was wearing a winter cycling jacket. How he wore that thing i'll never know.

Just before halfway coming down the side road before we turned back onto the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Have you revised your Barçelona target up or down after that half?

Just before halfway coming down the side road before we turned back onto the main road.

Ha, that's when i was going to bale but a slight misjudgement :( left it until 500m after halfway. It was great knowing that the wind was going to be behind you for the homeward journey.

Itziger wrote: »
    Have you revised your Barçelona target up or down after that half?

Nope, as i was advised by a fellow boardsie on here that should i finish between 1.30 & 1.35 and still had plenty left in the tank then i should be on for the 3:15 in Barcelona

Ain't that right Oisin ;)

Nope, as i was advised by a fellow boardsie on here that should i finish between 1.30 & 1.35 and still had plenty left in the tank then i should be on for the 3:15 in Barcelona

Yeah when i did 3.13 it was off a couple of comfortable halfs around 1.34. You badly need to get the long runs in matye, would hate to see you falling apart around 20 miles.

• Advertisement

Yeah when i did 3.13 it was off a couple of comfortable halfs around 1.34. You badly need to get the long runs in matye, would hate to see you falling apart around 20 miles.

Yes well i plan to get my weekend LSR's from now to reach 18/20 mile. I'm pushing my mid week mileage up as well as can be seen from last nights run. I'm starting to feel the strain in the legs though so im trying to rest up as much as i can but when i do go out i'm trying to achieve as much quality as i can.

Daniels plan has me down for a 35mile week this week but i'm not playing ball - i'm aiming for 50. I know i should stick to the plan but i'm taking privilege and making a tweak.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Hmmm. My half pb is 1.28 and I'm hoping for 3.10 in Rotterdam. Did my first 30 k run at the weekend . Just back from 16k now.

Good luck with it. Haven't read the whole log but this is your first marathon, yeah?

Itziger wrote: »
    Hmmm. My half pb is 1.28 and I'm hoping for 3.10 in Rotterdam. Did my first 30 k run at the weekend . Just back from 16k now.

Good luck with it. Haven't read the whole log but this is your first marathon, yeah?

Yeah if you have a 1.28 half and endurance you will cruise under 3.10.
    D2B ran a conservative first half and good second half and got 1.33. So full blast in better conditions than the brutal ones in waterford he was worth 2 mins at least. If he gets his long run up above 20 he has every chance of 3.15 in Barca.

Tuesday 18.01.11 & Weds 19.01.11

Took both these days as rest days in order to try and shake this nagging pain in my left thigh. Took some ibuprofen tabs which seemed to help a bit but not completely. Since the Waterford HM the problem has got worse and is constant.

Thursday 20.01.11

Midweek quality session. The plan called for the following

2 miles E pace
    4x10min T pace
    2 miles E pace

Summary as follows

Lap 1
    3.32k/2.05 miles Easy
    16:58mins
    Avg Pace: 5.08km/7.47min mile

Lap 2
    2.26k/1.4 miles T Pace
    10:00mins
    Avg Pace: 4.25km/7.07min mile

Lap 3
    Rest. Plan called for 30 secs but i took 2mins mainly due to stretch & massage left thigh

Lap 4
    2.27k/1.41 miles T pace
    Avg Pace: 4.24km/7.05min mile

Lap 5
    Rest - 2mins 49secs

Lap 6
    2.32k/1.44 miles T Pace
    Avg Pace: 4.18km/6.56min mile

Lap 7
    Rest - 2mins 23secs

Lap 8
    2.21km/1.37miles
    Avg Pace: 4.31km/7.16min mile

Lap 9
    3.55k/1.37 miles E Pace
    18.22mins
    Avg Pace: 5.10km/8.19min mile

Totals
    16.36km/10.16 miles
    1:22:53
    Avg Pace 5.08km/7.47min mile

Good quality session. Trying to get to see a physio tonight. Long run planned for sat/sun. 20 miler :)

Fri 21.01.11

Arranged to see physio for Saturday evening so i decided not to do anything until i seen him

Sat 22.01.11

Physion appointment in the evening. Issue - ITB. Felt like someone had given me a dead leg and was still extremely sore. Bit of manipulation from the physio and automatically felt better. Appiled some ice when i got home also which seemed to help. The good thing was that he didn't tell me that i was to rest up for 1/2 weeks but to go on my planned run on Sunday and see how i felt; if i was in pain i was to abandon ship.

Sun 23.01.11

Daniels plan had me down for doing the following

2 miles E pace
    15 miles M pace
    2 miles E pace

Lap 1
    3.32km/2.06 miles
    16:51 mins
    Avg Pace: 5:04km/8.10min mile
    Avg HR: 159bpm

Lap 2
    25.00km/15.52 miles
    1:59:12
    Avg Pace: 4:46km/7.40min miles
    Avg HR: 162bpm

Lap 3
    3.32km/2.06 miles
    17:54 mins
    Avg Pace: 5:23km/8.40min miles
    Avg HR: 167bpm

The first couple of miles i felt my ITB but it soon disappeared after that. Took 1 gel and 1 small bottle of water on a running belt. Needed both the gel and the water at about the 13mile mark. Was feeling great until the last mile where an uphill drag back to my house totally sapped all the energy i had left.

Tough run but it had to be done.

Think i need to get another one of these in midweek as well as the weekends now to help build the endurance. But i trust oul Jack and i'm sure he will get me through...

Total
    31.64km/19.65miles
    2:33:58
    Avg Pace: 4:51km/7:49min miles
    Avg HR: 162bpm

[[/U]Monday 24.01.11

2.5 painful miles in 20 mins included a few hills.

Quality session in weds/thursday will be my next outing as im resting up until that in order to give the itb a chance

Midweek session didn't happen. Not long home from a sports massage on the ITB. Painful but hopefully worth it. The guy advised me not to do any running until start of next week.

I have foam rolled the area, iced up every night and now the sports massage so can't do much more than rest. I do feel as though im giving it every chance and it is much better, so fingers crossed for a cleaner bill of health next week.

Monday 31.01.11

Back at it again last night. Had to, as i was cracking up sitting about.

Easy run just to test the water

8.08km/5 miles
    41:11 mins
    Avg Pace: 5.06km/8.13min miles
    Didn't bother with HR monitor

Felt a few niggles along the way in parts, nothing too serious but i just knew i wasn't 100% yet. Another longer easy run tonight and see what happens.

Tuesday 01.02.11

Last night, Mrs d2b was out at her parents house doing a bit of visiting so i decided to run out and meet her there then hitch a lift back home. This time i had company, a rucksack filled with a fresh pair of jocks, socks, t-shirt, trackie bottoms and hoodie for changing into when i reached my destination. Wasn't too sure how much it would weigh me down but it was bound to cause a little disruption along the way. The route was along a dark tow path so i brought my head torch and mobile with me just in casey!!

16.75km/10.4 miles
    1:20:57
    Avg Pace: 4.50km/7.46 min mile
    No HR monitor

Pace dropped at about mile 7 but picked it up again the following mile. The extra weight on my back slowed me down a little and caused a little panic in the wife's household as they were ready to send out the search party for me as i was behind schedule. It probably didn't help that i slightly underestimated my time of arrival but got there in the end and felt pretty good. It may become a regular occurence from now until the end of the month.

• Advertisement

Saturday 05.02.11

2 miles Easy
    3 x 5min Tempo (meant to be 4 x 5min but f*?ked up setting on Garmin)
    10 miles Easy
    3 x 5min Tempo (meant to be 4 x 5min but f*?ked up setting on Garmin)
    2 miles Easy
    1 mile cool down

Total mileage 19.6
    Time 2:32:38

Nuff said!!!

Advertisement