Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Culture / Rules in Dubai

Options
  • 08-11-2010 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

I am a 28 year old single woman, hoping to go to Dubai (or possible Abu Dhabi etc) to teach next year. There is a possibility that my friend, who is male, my age and unmarried may go too. I know that we would not be allowed to live together over there as it is for an unmarried man & woman to live together. However, I am wondering what the expected/accepted behaviour between men & woman is over there. For instance, would there be an issue with him visiting my home,me visting his, going out together to the cinema etc at night, going shopping together? Have been researching this online - some message boards make out it's very strict, some say it's extremely western. Am very keen to go but would re-consider the location if there are severe restrictions about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Rule of Thumb

No overt Public Displays of Affection is the rule, and do not bring attention to your self.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭blondie82

Thanks for the reply. Was aware of the public affection etc and that isn't a prob, but it's being in his company alone, especially at night? Do you know if that is frowned upon or am I imagining it to be worse than it is? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

blondie82 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Was aware of the public affection etc and that isn't a prob, but it's being in his company alone, especially at night? Do you know if that is frowned upon or am I imagining it to be worse than it is? Thanks

You are imagining it to be worse than it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 squidgy10

Have been to Dubai loads of times. It really isnt as bad as is made out in the press.

They (police) generally turn a blind eye to stuff that foreigners do thats against the rules unless a local complains about it then its taken very seriously (public affection etc).

Overall though Dubai is a very Hypocritical place. They say you cant do x,y and z because its against the religion but then if you go into a nightclub its full of the local UAE nationals drinking and the place will be full of eastern european prostitutes, so it kind of makes a mockery of their "strict" rules.

But overall its a great place and i always enjoy it there.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

squidgy10 wrote: »
    Overall though Dubai is a very Hypocritical place. They say you cant do x,y and z because its against the religion but then if you go into a nightclub its full of the local UAE nationals drinking and the place will be full of eastern european prostitutes, so it kind of makes a mockery of their "strict" rules.

I understand what you're getting at, but given stories like this and this, the best advice is to tread carefully around contentious areas - if you get arrested for having codeine headache tablets on you, your life will be made miserable regardless of whether you point out all the other people who were allowed to get away with naughty behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 squidgy10

Fysh wrote: »
    I understand what you're getting at, but given stories like this and this, the best advice is to tread carefully around contentious areas - if you get arrested for having codeine headache tablets on you, your life will be made miserable regardless of whether you point out all the other people who were allowed to get away with naughty behaviour.

I totally agree with you to thread carefully. I was just demonstrating how weird a place it is when it comes to the law, some are stupidly way over enforced (head ache tablets, holding hands etc) and others are not enforced at all (prostitution, drinking).

If you act like a normal civilised person in Dubai you will be fine bar displaying public affection that is :)

Get to know some of the citizens and any trouble will simply melt away. Its a country of contradictions. I found it a very strange place tbh. But, for the most part, they're quite friendly to foreigners who show a medium of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

just keep ur head down and all is good,dont be drunk or romantic in public,ohh you can live together no worries,live with whoever ya like just dont go bragging about it,the cops dont care about anything you do as long as they dont see you doing it,if all the cohabitating couples had to leave Dubai,there would be nobody there:Dif somebody asks just say he's yer brother or cousin,easy:cool:

Advertisement