Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anywhere that zero's scopes?

Options
  • 08-11-2010 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭

I took my scope of my air rifle the other day and iam having serious trouble trying to re-zero it.
    Iv tried all the methods i can find and iam still not happy with it.
    Is there any gun shops/ranges that would be able to help with zeroing a scope, or do i keep trying:)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

skipz wrote: »
    I took my scope of my air rifle the other day and iam having serious trouble trying to re-zero it.
    Iv tried all the methods i can find and iam still not happy with it.
    Is there any gun shops/ranges that would be able to help with zeroing a scope, or do i keep trying:)?

Almost every range will have someone who can help you. IE watch what you are doing and see if you are making a subtle error.

What part of the country are you in?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Most gun dealers have in their shop a "shot saver". Its used for zeroing gun before they leave the shop. Ask where you bought it or in your nearest friendly dealer.

Failing that go to a range as advised above and gave someone help you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

What part of the country are you in?

Iam in Louth. I bought the gun in a local dealer, but i dont think theres much room in shop for zeroing.
    Might try Courtlough. Can you use there ranges with your own gun or is it just for them?

............. i dont think theres much room in shop for zeroing

See if he has a Shot Saver (as below). It goes into a barrel. I'm sure they have one to fit an air rifle. No room needed other than the actual length of the rifle.

shotsaver.jpg
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nico13

Hi ezridax,
    just wondering how much does it cost to zero a rifle at the range ?
    thanks

• Advertisement

The cost of the actual zeroing is nothing, however as day memberships are no longer allowed you would need a friend that is already a member of a range that could sign you in as a guest and help zero the rifle with you.

Then you need only pay any range fees that are applicable to that range. Any range officer would gladly help you if you are still having problems.

PS - You need your own insurance for the range.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

in my experience the shot saver is really only worth while if you have zeroed it with it in the past and know where the x hairs should be on the grid
    whereabouts in louth are you

When i bought my .223 i mounted the Burris scope in the shop and used a shotsaver to get my zero. New rifle, new scope, new mounts.

Brought the rifle to the range and it was 1/2 inch high at 100yds. No previous zero on the range, or no previous zero with the shot saver.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nico13

Thank you ezridax might go on friday with a friend

landkeeper wrote: »
    whereabouts in louth are you

Near Drogheda, Clogherhead.

• Advertisement

what is it doing or not doing that you are unhappy with

Was just thinking things over in my head and i just realised something. Now i don't know alot about air rifles, but can the bolt be removed like an ordinary rifle to allow you to see down the bore. If so then any normal way of zeroing would/should work as long as the scope is not broken.

If not then another option other would be to place large white sheets of paper or cardboard (2 foot square would be ideal) up at different distances starting from 5 metres out to 25 metres. Mark a black dot in the centre of each of the sheets of paper. Aim the rifle at the first sheet, black dot, at 5 metres. Fire. See where your shot impacts. Adjust the scope as necessary. Fire at the black dot on the same sheet of paper. At 5 metres you cannot be that much off the target. Once its in the black dot/bull move over to the 10 metre mark. Fire and you may be "low". When i say low its only 5 metres extra so it may not even be off. Then move out to 15, 20, 25 metres firing a shot at each distance. Your windage should have little to no change, but just keep adjusting the elevation at each distance to keep your zero.

Once you have your desired zero at the desired distance zero the turrets if possible. At all stages keep a detailed record of all adjustments you make at all stages.

ezridax wrote: »
    Was just thinking things over in my head and i just realised something. Now i don't know alot about air rifles, but can the bolt be removed like an ordinary rifle to allow you to see down the bore. If so then any normal way of zeroing would/should work as long as the scope is not broken.

Any of the Airrifles I have used either in the DF or at Funfairs as a kid were either Folders, or har a lever that was cranked on the side of the rifle.

I'm Guessing the Zero shift is from something loose as some Airrifles have more felt recoil than some iflecentrefires.

The Air-rifle with the side crank loaded something like a martini action if you get me.

So a boresighter Hawke yokie maybe a better alternative

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make sure that you centre the scope adjustments before anything else.
    Wind the windage all the way to one side and then count the clicks back to the other side. Divide in half and bring the reticle back to the midpoint.
    Then repeat for the vertical adjustment.
    Some scopes don't handle adjustments at the extreme of either end.
    One other thing spring air rifles have a reverse recoil and this can wreck scopes that aren't made for springers pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

See if he has a Shot Saver (as below). It goes into a barrel. I'm sure they have one to fit an air rifle. No room needed other than the actual length of the rifle.

shotsaver.jpg

That will not zero a Firearm:confused:

Why?

Why?
    Because you zero the rifle first then you take a reading from the graph in the shot saver, so that if you drop or bump your rifle or unsure if it is still zeroed you use the graph to bring the scope back on line, it is to check if your weapon/firearm is still zeroed before you go on a hunt/patrol whatever. As stated it is a shot saver not a bore sighter or zeroing item.

Really!

How did the dealer do it for me? All new equipement and no previous zero. I normally always do my own zeroing. He insisted i let him do it using the shot saver. I dd and when i got to the range i was barely off. Now i know the shot saver is not a 100% zero, but more to get you almost zeroed.

Was it pot luck with him? Or previous knowledge of a zero from another rifle of the same caliber?

Could it be used to "guesstimate" the zero in any way?

If not my other advice on paper shooting at different distances may be the wy to go if a bore sighting is not possible.
    As stated it is a shot saver not a bore sighter or zeroing item

They're not going to put that on the box now are they? As for me, and the fact that i never use them, i would have thought it was to save you shooting a crap load of bullets to get your zero. You live and learn.

Really!

How did the dealer do it for me? All new equipement and no previous zero. I normally always do my own zeroing. He insisted i let him do it using the shot saver. I dd and when i got to the range i was barely off. Now i know the shot saver is not a 100% zero, but more to get you almost zeroed.

Was it pot luck with him? Or previous knowledge of a zero from another rifle of the same caliber?

Could it be used to "guesstimate" the zero in any way?

If not my other advice on paper shooting at different distances may be the wy to go if a bore sighting is not possible.

From experience I would say he was just lucky, pure luck,and if he knew what he was talking I would also say a chancer.:rolleyes:

Possibly.

As the saying goes, " in God i trust, everyone else i check out".

I still went through my normal zero process when i got to the range. For no other reason other than safety. Telling the RO that my shot went miles off because someone else zeroed the rifle for me would not cut mustar with them and land me in more trouble than if i made the mistake myself. Saying that everything worked and as said the first shot was only 1/2" out. Thats why i thought they worked.

Lesson learned.

• Advertisement

From experience I would say he was just lucky, pure luck,and if he knew what he was talking I would also say a chancer.:rolleyes:

My experience shot saver gets on paper @ 100. Sometimes closer to the bull than others.

I have seen one used on four different rifles in the one day and all got on paper.
    Failing that bolt out and peer down bore @25 yards.

However for airrifle this may bot be possible.

However, I'd set the air rifle up @10 yards. that way the closer to the target the less tangential (off) will be.

Start short and then work long OP.
    And check all screws are tightened on scope equally. ie 4 revs etc per screw and so on.

Then ensure your pellets are all the samre size and weight and not deformed, some pellets which do not fill the chamber snug will travel slower and hit lower in my experience.

Having said that 2008 since I fired air rifles compliments of DF.

Possibly.

As the saying goes, " in God i trust, everyone else i check out".

I still went through my normal zero process when i got to the range. For no other reason other than safety. Telling the RO that my shot went miles off because someone else zeroed the rifle for me would not cut mustar with them and land me in more trouble than if i made the mistake myself. Saying that everything worked and as said the first shot was only 1/2" out. Thats why i thought they worked.

Lesson learned.
    I remember about 2yrs ago I was in a local sports shop. This chap came in and said that the shot saver was not working or that he was unsure how it worked, the FD went on to explain that what you do is put the arbour of the right caliber into the muzzle, put on the shot saver, look through the scope and align the cross hairs of the scope with the centre cross on the shot saver,and Bob's your uncle:rolleyes: The chap left the shop more confused, I was listening to this with amazement, I asked the FO I have to add a long time acquaintance to repeat what he had said to the man. He repeated it to me and I said he was wrong in his instruction and I said what I said previously to you here, his answer " fu-k I have had a have dozen of these returned to me over the last 18 months as not working and I have refused to stock anymore:eek:. Alway's RTFM ;)

Ezri as i tried to say earlier the shot saver is supposed to be just that ! it's for CHECKING your scope against a previous plotted set of co-ordinates if you like on the reticule of the shot saver
    you can use it to roughly set your scope as it has vertical and horizontal lines that will get you roughly on target your dealer was lucky imho
    if you think about it you could plug that into 10 different 223 rifles fitted with 10 different sets of optics each using a different bullet make and weight would the zero be the same for each no it wouldn't you need a reference point first
    what you are supposed to do is when your rifle is zeroed and your happy with it .plug that yoke in and mark the co-ordinates of your x hairs as it appears on the graph ie take a grid reference from it and write it down
    then if you remove the scope or knock it or similar you have a reference point to work from therefore you' save shots ' they work to a degree,:rolleyes: there was one here years ago b ut we found that a white board with a vertical line worked just as quickly and didn't leave scratches in the barrell ;)
    !
    here one for you if you zero a rifle for your eyesight will it be accurate for your best friend ??

landkeeper wrote: »
    Ezri as i tried to say earlier the shot saver is supposed to be just that

Alright, alright. Calm down, calm down.

I never said you were wrong nor did i say that to deerhunter. If you read back you will see i only made note of the fact that a dealer i bought from used one on brand new, unzeroed equipment and it worked.

Every other thread where i post on how to zero a scope you will see i post the same reply;
    If installing the scope the quick way would be to place the rifle in a gun clamp or very steady front rest and back bag. Place a spirit level on a flat section of the rifle. If none can be got or trusted take the rings apart and screw on the bottom section of the rings leaving the top piece of. Tighten these down. Now place a level across these rings and straighten the rifle. Once your happy, place the scope into the rings and place the top section of the rings on the bootom section over the scope and screw in the screws but DO NOT tighten.

Have a heavy string/line hanging from the ceiling of your hall (at the end of the hall). Weigh it down if necessary. This will give you a dead straight vertical line. Have the rifle pointing towards the string and adjust the position of the scope forward and back in the rings until your eye relief is good (that there is no black when you look into the scope) Twist/turn the scope until the vertical line of the crosshair tallies with the string/line hanging in your hall. Once happy tighten the screws on the rings but do so in an alternating fashion as if you tighten one side fully it will twist the scope in the rings. Problem i find with some lads is even though the crosshairs are perfectly straight everyone holds the rifle at a slight cant and so when they put it to their eye they think the crosshair is leaning. Its not. Resist the temptation to adjust it as canting the crosshair to suit your hold will mean any clicking to zero the scope will result in angled adjustments rather than perfectly up/down or left/right adjustments.

Go to a range or find a fixed spot at home. Somewhere around the 50yd mark is grand. Have the elevation of your scope trned down to zero. Have the windage adjustments centralised. As in if there is 50 minutes (moa) of adjustment have it set for 25moa. Have the bolt removed and with the rifle unclamped adjust the rifle until you can see the target down the barrel. The muzzle of the gun will appear as a circle and must sit perfectly "central" in the circle created by the breach. Once this is done make sure the target is central in the circles created by the muzzle and breach. Have the rifle reclamped making sure the target is still central in the bore/barrel. Now without moving the rifle look through the scope and see where the crosshairs are in relation to the target. Adjust the crosshairs up to and left/right until they meet the target. Now once more check the bore/barrel sight and scope sight. If you are happy both are pointing at the same target time to replace the bolt and fire a shot (this is why i recommen doing this at a range). Find where the shot impacted. Measure the distance from your point of impact to the target bull and adjust your scope as necessary. gain fire another shot. You should be either in or very close to the bull. Make one more adjustment if you are not in the bull and fire one more round. You should be zeroed at this point

You will also note i made a point of saying i know very little about air rifles, having never owned one, so all my comments and posts were best guesses as i was unsure as to whether there was a bolt to remove and use my normal response or whether the "bolt" cannot be removed hence my suggestions of the shot saver and MY OTHER SUGGESTION of actual paper targets at varying distances.

As the OP still has not responded, myself and all others posting replies must work off assumtions as to the make/model and workings of his rifle.
    landkeeper wrote:
    here one for you if you zero a rifle for your eyesight will it be accurate for your best friend

No. Why do you ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Guys,

I have one of the Hawke Shot savers, and i would safely say I have mounted well over 30 scopes on to rifles of various calibres.

I have in every case got the rifle of to within a few inches at most of the Bull with the 1st shot using the shot saver, it wont get you perfect, but will get you on paper to then allow fine tuning.

Regards

DB

Got the scope zeroed today, thank god. Was too windy today so went to a mates farm which has a huge grain storage. Was a perfect place to zero up the air rifle with no wind.
    We think the problem was down to "parallax error". After moving the scope closer to my eye it gave me a much easier view through the scope. We made up a bench rest and started at 15 yards and then onto 40 yards after the scope being moved and it seemed to do the trick.
    Very happy now and even got a little job clearing the rats out around the yard!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Near Drogheda, Clogherhead.

I'm up that way myself, pm if you fancy heading out someday. I have a .22 air-rifle, 12g and .17hrm if you fancy a bit of company some day, I don't know any other shooters in the area.

Got the scope zeroed today, thank god. Was too windy today so went to a mates farm which has a huge grain storage. Was a perfect place to zero up the air rifle with no wind.
    We think the problem was down to "parallax error". After moving the scope closer to my eye it gave me a much easier view through the scope. We made up a bench rest and started at 15 yards and then onto 40 yards after the scope being moved and it seemed to do the trick.
    Very happy now and even got a little job clearing the rats out around the yard!:D

Well done, It's always satisfing when a plan comes together.
    When ever I have a scope issue, I go back to basics and shoot 25yards before going 100,200,300 etc.

Posta pic of your air rife.
    I'd ike to see it anyway ;)

Well done, It's always satisfing when a plan comes together.
    When ever I have a scope issue, I go back to basics and shoot 25yards before going 100,200,300 etc.

Posta pic of your air rife.
    I'd ike to see it anyway ;)

BSA scorpion T10 .22 FAC.
    Might be up for sale soon as iam away to Oz if anyone interested.

Picture117.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Scalachi wrote: »
    Guys,

I have one of the Hawke Shot savers, and i would safely say I have mounted well over 30 scopes on to rifles of various calibres.

I have in every case got the rifle of to within a few inches at most of the Bull with the 1st shot using the shot saver, it wont get you perfect, but will get you on paper to then allow fine tuning.

Regards

DB

I have mounted 3 scopes in the last 12 months and would have killed for one of these or a laser bore sighter.

Every time I mounted a scope I would manually bore sight it which was a pain and I'd run out of windage adjustments on the scope. With one of these you could see very quickly if there was any mounting issue.

Sure they don't perfectly zero a scope and rifle but as you say they get you on paper

That is a sweet looking air rifle skipz

Advertisement