Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Username Help?

• 08-11-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭

hi ive just got upc 30mb broadband and on pingtest.net my result is F and im getting around 50% packet loss..im trying to log into my modem or rotuer or whatever it is but i keep getting asked for a password..when i leave it blank it keeps asking me for it...does anyone know the username?..the man never gave me a username.. only my SSID and a password for it:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

The only section that you can access is administration, there is a seperate username and password for the advanced section which I don't know. For the administration section the username is to be left blank and the password is admin, which it will prompt you to change as soon as you log in. The SSID and wireless password are different and I'd imagine that that is what you were given by the installer.

I'd recommend you disable packet flood detection as that is what is messing up your score in pingtest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Knasher wrote: »
    The only section that you can access is administration, there is a seperate username and password for the advanced section which I don't know. For the administration section the username is to be left blank and the password is admin, which it will prompt you to change as soon as you log in. The SSID and wireless password are different and I'd imagine that that is what you were given by the installer.

I'd recommend you disable packet flood detection as that is what is messing up your score in pingtest.

the flood detection worked:)

somehow i made a password earlier and when i go to settings that password works so i can access that but neither admin or my password work for advanced:(do i even need to get into advanced?..if ps3 is fast and my laptop is fast then thats all i need tbh:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You don't need the advanced section, there's nothing you can change in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 Sgro

Dunno about your username or password, but don't be so sure with the pingtest.net thing.
    I was getting 90% packet loss, and it seemed ridiculous because my connection was fine, and I do a lot of online gaming.
    Pingtest.net gives low results because when it does the packet test, it sends out a barrage of packets, your firewall likely detects this as a flood and therefore drastically limits the packets, resulting in the low score.
    I know someone else said that earlier but just to further clear things up, don't trust pingtest.net basically (not because they're malicious or anything - the test just isn't entirely accurate.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Sgro wrote: »
    Dunno about your username or password, but don't be so sure with the pingtest.net thing.
    I was getting 90% packet loss, and it seemed ridiculous because my connection was fine, and I do a lot of online gaming.
    Pingtest.net gives low results because when it does the packet test, it sends out a barrage of packets, your firewall likely detects this as a flood and therefore drastically limits the packets, resulting in the low score.
    I know someone else said that earlier but just to further clear things up, don't trust pingtest.net basically (not because they're malicious or anything - the test just isn't entirely accurate.)

I don't think I'd describe the test as being inaccurate though, there are plenty of situations where the UPC modem will drop packets if flood detection is enabled. Obviously using bit torrent will set it off but I also noticed when gaming on steam and refreshing server lists I would barely get one page because after that the flood detection kicked in. So while internet gaming did work, it also made the internet a much lonelier place. Its probably not affecting you as visibly if you are a console gamer, but it would definitely have an effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

guys i did what another boards user said and now i have 0% packet loss :)...in the next few days i will optimise or try to optimise my modem for ps3 gaming ( ill be too busy playing black ops lol )

Advertisement