Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Method to pay rent

Options
  • 08-11-2010 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,752 ✭✭✭✭

hey folks
    This may sound a tad stupid but would i be right in saying everyone who rents pays by direct debit from there account on the day they get paid,
    Like for instance would it be best for me to do this and then get the girlfriend to just fix me up with her half of the rent, is that the way most people do it,

Comments

Should be paid on whatever day so that it is in the landlord's account the day it is supposed to be, when folks get paid etc should have nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As already mentioned, rent is usually paid on the day stipulated in the lease - e.g. last/first day of the month. It doesn't normally coincide with pay day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If your rent day would normally fall on payday, you might see if you can move your rent day a coupe of days forward, just in case there is a problem with the direct debit, you don't want an accidental overdraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I think most landlords will use standing order rather than direct debit.

And your rent will usually fall on the day or day after you signed the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

hey sorry for hijacking

Is it normal for a letting agent to want you to py rent by Direct Debit?Thought standing order was more the norm.
    Letting agent said this was because they take payment, deduct fees etc and then pay the landlord.

We've had a few problems with the apt in last couple weeks since we moved in so was wondering how hard is it to cancel the DD if needs be?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

A direct debit is you giving permission to a third party to take any amount of money from your account whenever they please. Generally for fixed amounts I'd prefer a standing order, and I would never set up a direct debit paying into an individuals account, however for a business they are generally more trustworthy. Either way you can cancel them whenever you please, you do however have to keep an eye on them in case you are being overcharged.

If they absolutely insist on a direct debit and you aren't 100% sure you can trust them, you could always set up another account which you pay a fixed sum via standing order into and then set up a direct debit for them off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

jillyb wrote: »
    Is it normal for a letting agent to want you to py rent by Direct Debit?
    No.
    Letting agent said this was because they take payment, deduct fees etc and then pay the landlord.
    I can't see what that has to do with standing order versus direct debit. I wouldn't agree to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No way would I give a landlord free reign of a direct debit to my account. I trust the likes of ESB and UPC (the latter just barely!) with a DD because I know if they take too much they will give it back in a timely fashion, but with a landlord who I probably dont know at all its a lot of trust to place on them.

From their point of view there is no difference between a direct debit and a standing order; the money ends up in their account at the same time anyway. A standing order is more protection to you. If they dont like it then tell them to try find a tenant who will agree to DD; Id be surprised if they dont find it a difficult task.

Advertisement