Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

energy efficient sensor light

Options
  • 08-11-2010 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭

Can anyone please recommend me a sensor light, currently have a halogen light, just wondering is there any more efficient ones out there.

It is for a drive way and will prob only be on for 3 - 5 minutes at a time, so maybe halogen would be best Im not sure any suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you could jut buy a cfl retro fit lamp for your existing fitting. the most common wattages are 18 and 24 watts. i think they cost in and around 14 euro and i think they are only available for the 300-500 watt size fitting,
    ie....117mm lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Yes but would they require time to get to full brightness?

usually you would turn the timer to max or near max on the fitting to lenghten the life of the bulb. your not really going to get an energy saving fitting that will match the lux levels of a 500 watt halogen. you wll have to make some sort of comprimise.
    robus now do an led type flood light which is instant, but we've powered them up in the warehouse and there not even close to been as bright as a halogen fitting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

you could jut buy a cfl retro fit lamp for your existing fitting. the most common wattages are 18 and 24 watts. i think they cost in and around 14 euro and i think they are only available for the 300-500 watt size fitting,
    ie....117mm lamp.

18W energy saving bulb with inbuilt dusk/dawn sensor is 14 euro in Eurosales.Comes on at dusk and goes off at dawn.
    Available in E27 screw in type and old type slot in fitting too.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    18W energy saving bulb with inbuilt dusk/dawn sensor is 14 euro in Eurosales.Comes on at dusk and goes off at dawn.
    Available in E27 screw in type and old type slot in fitting too.:)

we can do that lamp for 13.80 :D
    the op is lookin for a sensorlight, cfls in general dont like pirs as the constant switching lessons the life of the lamp.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

we can do that lamp for 13.80 :D
    the op is lookin for a sensorlight, cfls in general dont like pirs as the constant switching lessons the life of the lamp.

Ah right,I seem to be a bit asleep today so..........sorry.

Just like my front porch setup,have the 2 porch lights hooked up to an external PIR as a security measure and also as a wellcomming feature when me or the missus drive up into our driveway.Handy to have the lights come on as the car drives in and we are looking for our keys to get in..

Whos we and where too??:)

Feel free to PM me,as Im on the look out for IP rated bathroom down lighter fittings/chrome surrounds at present.

Electrician installed normal fittings into the ensuite and main bathroom,and says that they are fine for a bathroom,when even I know that they are not fine and should not be used in a bathroom.So hense me looking for the IP rated bathroom fittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

I just went ahead and got a normal halogen light with pir, I also got the CFL replacement lamp, it's no where near as bright but I'll see how it goes and only 28W compared with 500W.

Cost 11 for the lamp and 22 for the fitting in Kelihers

cheers for the replies

Advertisement