Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Country The Academy 19th April 2011

Options
  • 08-11-2010 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

Legendary 80's rockers Big Country announced earlier this year they are to reform and after announcing 4 shows to take place in January 2011, now due to popular demand they have confirmed nine extra dates for April 2011 including a show at London’s O2 Shepherds Bush Empire.

The band exploded onto the scene in 1983 with anthemic songs such as 'Fields of Fire' & 'In A Big Country' which were culled from their classic debut album 'The Crossing' which sold several million worldwide. They followed up with a number one album 'Steeltown'. They released 8 studio albums all of which entered the Top Ten and released 28 singles 5 of which were also Top Ten.

Approaching their 30th anniversary the band are lining up concerts to prepare for a period of celebration that will embrace their past. Tragically, co founder Stuart Adamson passed away in 2001. A traumatic time for all connected in Stuart's life but it is a great way of remembering him by performing songs live that the band played for the 18 year period their existence spanned.

Tony Butler says “To play again as Big Country was something that was only going to happen if we could find someone who could compliment the band and sing the songs in the way they need to be sung; with heart and soul. Mike Peters from The Alarm has stepped in to fill the premise for a few shows. It's about time the songs got another airing, and we think Stuart would be pleased too”.

A new era beckons............................

The new line up consists of -

TONY BUTLER - Bass Guitar and Vocals
    MARK BRZEZICKI - Drums and Vocals
    BRUCE WATSON - Guitar and Vocals
    MIKE PETERS - Vocals and Guitar
    JAMIE WATSON – Guitar.

April 2011 – *New Dates*

Friday 8th * PORTSMOUTH Pyramid 0239 282 4355
    Saturday 9th * MANCHESTER Academy 2 0161 832 1111
    Sunday 10th * OXFORD O2 Academy1 0844 477 2000
    Monday 11th * CAMBRIDGE Junction 01223 511 511
    Tuesday 12th * NORWICH Waterfront 01603 508 050
    Thursday 14th * BRISTOL O2 Academy1 0844 477 2000
    Friday 15th * LONDON O2 Shepherds Bush Empire 0844 477 2000
    Saturday 16th * LEEDS O2 Academy 0844 477 2000
    Sunday 17th * SHEFFIELD O2 Academy2 0844 477 2000
    Tuesday 19th * DUBLIN The Academy
    Wednesday 20th * BELFAST Spring & Airbrake

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

wow!

Now theres a blast from the past,loved them back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Will Deffo be there, Mike Peters does a Great job at singing the BC Songs,

Anyone know if Ticketmaster will have the tickets???

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Luke G wrote: »
    Will Deffo be there, Mike Peters does a Great job at singing the BC Songs,

Anyone know if Ticketmaster will have the tickets???

Tickets should be available from the official Big Country website later today http://www.bigcountry.co.uk/store/items/index.php?.

I think they are going on general sale on fri 12th Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Best news ever,
    But it will be a bit weird without Stuart, I was at the last gig he played here in Dublin, Final Fling tour, quite emotional.

The man was a genius, great musician and a good guy.
    R

Here's a video of Mike Peters and The Alarm doing a great version of In A Big Country.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4S2fHXHpjE

• Advertisement

Best news ever,
    But it will be a bit weird without Stuart, I was at the last gig he played here in Dublin, Final Fling tour, quite emotional.

The man was a genius, great musician and a good guy.
    R

That was a top Gig, Ya always got your moneys worth with BC, and then some more...

Got the tix on friday, Can't wait now, really lookin forward to this, Anyone else get theirs???

Went to see Big Country last weekend in Liverpool and i can honestly say that it was one of the best gigs i've ever been to(and that includes Big Country with Stuart Adamson).
    Mike Peters gave it his all,the band sounded really tight can't wait now for the Dublin gig in april.

Here are some of my video's

Lost Patrol
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wi7xfvPZ9o8

Porrohman
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXBMeDJV9k4

Just A Shadow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVkOfvncuxo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

So, who's going on Tuesday? We're heading over to it, then up to Belfast on Wednesday, really looking forward to it:D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Iluvjazzmasters

Just back form the gig! I have to say absolute quality. What a bloody nice chap and a good frontman Mike Peters is! Really encapsulated the feeling of Big Country! Jamie Watson did a great job i have to say with Stuart Adamsons guitar parts.

I have to say though its sad to see them up there without stuart, was emotional. I really like Mike Peters the way he respects and is a fan of big Country and did a great job too!

Ive never seen such a crowd go absolutely mental and ive been to a lot of gigs and play gigs myself! What struck me as magic was that this music is obviously timeless, is as relevant as it was then as it is now.

God damn you U2 for making it bigger instead of BC!!:-P Mad to see grown men in there 30's 40's and 50's jumping around and going mad like they were 20 again! Great stuff

Where The Rose Is Sown, Lost Patrol,Inwards and Steeltown were highlights for me! Next time more from Buffalo Skinners chaps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Just back form the gig! I have to say absolute quality. What a bloody nice chap and a good frontman Mike Peters is! Really encapsulated the feeling of Big Country! Jamie Watson did a great job i have to say with Stuart Adamsons guitar parts.

I have to say though its sad to see them up there without stuart, was emotional. I really like Mike Peters the way he respects and is a fan of big Country and did a great job too!

Ive never seen such a crowd go absolutely mental and ive been to a lot of gigs and play gigs myself! What struck me as magic was that this music is obviously timeless, is as relevant as it was then as it is now.

God damn you U2 for making it bigger instead of BC!!:-P Mad to see grown men in there 30's 40's and 50's jumping around and going mad like they were 20 again! Great stuff

Where The Rose Is Sown, Lost Patrol,Inwards and Steeltown were highlights for me! Next time more from Buffalo Skinners chaps!

I've got to say I was blown away by them last night, and agree 100% with jazzmasters that Mike Peters is a really good frontman and showed nothing but the upmost respect for Stuart, the guys left nothing on the stage, great atmosphere, I was right on the barrier and loved every minute of their set.....
    hopefully we will get to see these guys keep that music alive for a little longer.......great night.....

pity I had to head home shortly after the gig, the lads I was with headed back over the the Hotel the band were staying in and Jamie got them in, had a couple of pints with the lads and got some pics.......maybe next time....:D

Advertisement