Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Treasure to move to Bishop's Palace?

• 08-11-2010 6:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know about this, or is the story garbled? What is going into the Bishop's Palace, is it a second museum or is Waterford Treasures moving? Interested to hear any info, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

2nd Museum id guess. Cant see any possibilty of the Treasure contents fitting in the Bishops palace unless they dig 15 stories down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thanks, just saw item on news about it, looks like an additional display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i heard it was some other type of museum. It would be lunacy to move museum of tresures from granary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Max Powers wrote: »
    i heard it was some other type of museum. It would be lunacy to move museum of tresures from granary.

Agreed, I had got some garbled information :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Bishop's Palace is being converted into a museum, to be opened some time in 2011. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think the new museum will focus on our medieval to late 1800's history.

Some artifacts etc from the Museum of Treasures were just formally handed over to the new Bishop's Palace museum at a civic ceremony in City Hall last night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Bishop's Palace is being converted into a museum, to be opened some time in 2011. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I think the new museum will focus on our medieval to late 1800's history.

Some artifacts etc from the Museum of Treasures were just formally handed over to the new Bishop's Palace museum at a civic ceremony in City Hall last night.

So Viking and Norman stuff in the Granary, later stuff in Bishops palace? Them Vikings sure loved their combs.

How about some stuff they have in Reginalds tower? And wasn't there another museum/heritage centre?

I suppose they will have the Penrose Crystal in the Bishops palace to be near Waterford Crystal Visitor Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

As far as I know the entire Museum will be moving with most objects going to Bishops Palace and others to Reginalds Tower.
    A new tenant will be taking over the granary building.

Eventually another museum will be built in the spot between the motar tax office and the Theatre Royal

dayshah wrote: »
    So Viking and Norman stuff in the Granary, later stuff in Bishops palace?
    Yeah think so.
    I suppose they will have the Penrose Crystal in the Bishops palace to be near Waterford Crystal Visitor Centre.
    I haven't heard anything about Penrose Crystal moving in there?
    jayboi wrote: »
    As far as I know the entire Museum will be moving with most objects going to Bishops Palace and others to Reginalds Tower. A new tenant will be taking over the granary building.
    Are you sure about that? The Museum of Treasures is an award winning museum and just a fantastic facility, be hard to understand that they would get rid of it!
    jayboi wrote: »
    Eventually another museum will be built in the spot between the motar tax office and the Theatre Royal
    I think I remember reading about another museum in that area alright.

I'll see if I can root out the info I have about all the plans....

Found what I was looking for. Looks like the "Undercrofts" is the other new museum you were both referring to.

vikingtriangle.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Found what I was looking for. Looks like the "Undercrofts" is the other new museum you were both referring to.

vikingtriangle.png

why are those buildens in the far back right blue? is there anything planned for those?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Are you sure about that? The Museum of Treasures is an award winning museum and just a fantastic facility, be hard to understand that they would get rid of it!

Yea i think so, its all part of this viking triangle project.
    I imagine its to create a concentrated historical/toursit hub in the city.

I hope they don't put a real building by the motor tax office.

I think that little square would be a great place for a café and outdoor seating in summer. Get tourist customers in summer and corpo workers in winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

I hope they don't put a real building by the motor tax office.

I think that little square would be a great place for a café and outdoor seating in summer. Get tourist customers in summer and corpo workers in winter.

ah here sense dont come into it, they have a LOVELY landscapred area there with a little circular stair case down to the underground for the last 6+ years and they have a big ugly gate in front of it, completely closed off, unused.
    ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 foxylad2

Part of Waterford Treasures moving to Bishops Palace in March/April 2011
    Viking Museum being built behind Theatre Royal 2011/2012
    Gardens in front of Bishops Palace being redone by Diarmud Gavin this winter - being filmed by RTE
    New Glass & Crafts centre being opened behind bishops palace in 4 weeks time
    Hats off to City Manger & Council -- Waterford is moving fast to attract tourists

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Andrew the Dog

Any truth in the rumour that the architecture dept from WIT will be moving into the Granary building?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

foxylad2 wrote: »
    Hats off to City Manger & Council -- Waterford is moving fast to attract tourists

Shame its taken Waterford many many many years to get the act together and actually give a ****e about tourists, puts them far behind many other citys in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

When this is completed, it will really showcase the city's history to its full potential. We have been selling ourselves short for too long. I just hope people will appreciate the history we have.

I worked in the undercrofts for the summer showing people around and telling them the history behind it. 9/10 locals didn't know it existed (me included) and it was actually the locals who were more impressed than the tourists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Any truth in the rumour that the architecture dept from WIT will be moving into the Granary building?
    I have heard this to be the case and that they will share it with the city arts office/gallery.

An article about the Bishops Palace in the Irish Times.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0623/1224299454909.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Dan133269 wrote: »
    When this is completed, it will really showcase the city's history to its full potential. We have been selling ourselves short for too long. I just hope people will appreciate the history we have.

I worked in the undercrofts for the summer showing people around and telling them the history behind it. 9/10 locals didn't know it existed (me included) and it was actually the locals who were more impressed than the tourists.

Is there a website attached to Undercrofts? can you give us a little more info, sounds like it's something to do with horses :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

trishw78 wrote: »
    Is there a website attached to Undercrofts? can you give us a little more info, sounds like it's something to do with horses :(

Sorry for the delay Trish W.

My memory is fairly rusty, but from what I remember.

The undercrofts are divided into 2, and were separate originally.
    The upper undercroft, the one you enter first from Greyfriars, dates from about 1430, and that was the wine cellar of James Rice, who was the Mayor of Waterford numerous times and a businessman. The vault led down a slip to his own private jetty on the quay, and he used to import Spanish wine and keep it in his cellar. The ceiling of this part of the undercroft is one of the best examples of wicker centring. This is similar to wattle and daub and it made by weaving sticks of willow onto a wooden frame and leaving it to set in the mortat (which was then made from lime, horse hair etc). The ceiling is extremely fragile and dry and would crumbe if you were to touch it. The tomb of James Rice is in Christchurch around the corner, very striking visual tomb showing a decomposing body. You'll see it when you walk in to the left.

The lower undercroft is older. It dates from later 1200s. It is also lower down than the upper undercroft in terms of depth. This was the bottom floor of a kind of parochial house. It is also known as the Choristor's Hall as the monks would use that room to sing and chant religious songs, that's where we got the word choir from.

As far as I remember, the main occupant of the house back then, and who commissioned the building, was Stephen de Fulbourne, Bishop of Waterford and Lismore and possibly also Mayor at another point. There is a plaque on the wall outside with his name on it. It was also the site of the 2nd mint in Waterford, the first having been located in Reginald's tower. The mint was put there under the guidance of Stephen de Fulbourne and surprise surprise, he ended up stealing silver from the mint. Back then the punishment for stealing from mints was to have your hand cut off, or even be killed. However, seeing as he was a man of the Church, he was promoted instead and made Archbishop of Galway.

The ceiling of the lower undercroft has been touched up with modern concrete but apart from that, most of it is intact.

Advertisement