Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blocking Extractor Fan Vents

• 08-11-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

In our downstairs toilet and in both upstairs bathrooms in our house there are what I'd call "extractor fans" - the type where you flick a switch and an electric fan turns on in the ceiling turns to remove any condensation in the room. Our house suffers from bad drafts, I've done all the usual stuff like sealing windows and doors, but we're still getting bad drafts due to these extractor fans.

We never use the fans in our downstairs toilet or in the main bathroom upstairs; is it safe enough to just block these vents to stop the drafts? They have an override switch on the ceiling which I can turn off in case anyone tries to turn them on while they are blocked. From what I can see this could be only thing causing our bad drafts!

Thanks for your replies!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

You could fit flap vents on the outside, would help drafts coming in, but fans could still be used if needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Davy wrote: »
    You could fit flap vents on the outside, would help drafts coming in, but fans could still be used if needed

Cheers for that! Makes sense I suppose rather than completely blocking them up :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

You can also get extractor fans that close over the vents when they are not in use. Most electrical wholesalers should have them, but I know that CEF do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

4'' gravity grille in white or brown is about 5 euro. easy to fit too.

You can also get extractor fans that close over the vents when they are not in use. Most electrical wholesalers should have them, but I know that CEF do.

They aren't cheap! and the ones I've seen look to big for my personal taste

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

http://www.sycamorelightingltd.co.uk/icon-30-extractor-fan-i601902.html
    available here .great job.not much dearer than ordinary one.easy fit .looks good.available silver
    go on,go on ,go on ,go on

meercat wrote: »
    http://www.sycamorelightingltd.co.uk/icon-30-extractor-fan-i601902.html
    available here .great job.not much dearer than ordinary one.easy fit .looks good.available silver
    go on,go on ,go on ,go on

Try it out, and let us know ;)

Advertisement