Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workshop Electrics

Options
  • 08-11-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hello,

I'm building a workshop in the back garden and have got to the electrics stage.

I want to wire it up myself and then get an electrician to bring mains from house and get a fuse box in workshop.

I want three four socket terminals and 2x 2 flourescent striplights (3ft).

• What kind/spec of wires do I need for these - is standard three core cable o.k?

• In the future I will be getting planer / thicknesser and maybe some other machines. Do I need to get three phase sockets for these, would such machines require different wiring / gauge wires?

Finally, how much will I save by doing wiring/ sockets / lights myself?

Cheers , all info/advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

Maple77 wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm building a workshop in the back garden and have got to the electrics stage.

I want to wire it up myself and then get an electrician to bring mains from house and get a fuse box in workshop.

I want three four socket terminals and 2x 2 flourescent striplights (3ft).

• What kind/spec of wires do I need for these - is standard three core cable o.k?

• In the future I will be getting planer / thicknesser and maybe some other machines. Do I need to get three phase sockets for these, would such machines require different wiring / gauge wires?

Cheers , all info/advice appreciated

id say your best bet is to run 3 core 6mm sq to the workshop this should do you to supply the socket circit the lighting circuit and another circuit for your planer machine but if your going to be getting a few machines you might want to use 3x10mm sq cable when your lookin at the machines you are going to get make sure you specify that they use a single phase supply because in the normal domestic setup the esb only give you a single phase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

My advice would be to find out what the machine requirements are first. And then get a sparks to do the workshop. A decent sparks will make it look like a professional installation because it will be, rather than a DIY job. You might save a few euro doing yourself, but have more hassle later.

You will really want single phase machines if possible, otherwise your looking at a convertor to convert your single phase to 3 phase. Thats a fair few euro alone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

3 core 10 square SWA cable worked a treat from my mains fuseboard in the house out underground and into my garage/workshop to its own IP rated fuseboard.

Powers an industrial roller shutter door,2 garage lights,2 outdoor lights 4 double sockets,arc welder,Karsher industrial power washer and several other machines,like press/bench drill and laith/sanding machines.

Tip here is to use galvanized steel conduit for the cable drops and metal back boxes and plates for the sockets and light switches,that way they are protected from any bits of wood/metal or sharp objects when you are working in your garage.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most electricians will want to do all of the job or nothing. If you are competent enough to connect the sockets and lights into the board then you should be competent enough to install the board?? Either way if a registered contractor does not do 100% of the work then it will be uncertified and probably untested. Ask yourself, is it worth the risk??
    Little or nothing! You will not be as familiar with the materials and you will not get a trade price on them.

Without seeing the job I would suggest the following:

1) use steel conduit as this is often best for a workshop. It provides a high degree of mechanical protection. Edit - I just see Paddy suggested the same!

2) Consider installing An emergency stop or 2 if you have rotating machinery.

3) Also for rotating machinery consider installing an emergency light (they are quite cheap).
    My advice would be to find out what the machine requirements are first

I agree 100%
    Without knowing this you can not size the cable for the sub board. You will also want to know the length of run. The chances are that an SWA type cable will be most suitable. You will also know if your supply has enough capacity.
    In the future I will be getting planer / thicknesser and maybe some other machines. Do I need to get three phase sockets for these
    That depends on the unit.
    would such machines require different wiring / gauge wires?
    Ditto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

and don't rcd the whole board -like paddy did:D

a right hazard in a workshop

seems to be a free for all these days with pricing-trade retail seems to be all the same if i'm not deluded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Maple77

Cheers for the advice lads, I've plenty of research to do yet, any ideas what the whole lot would cost - ballpark- to get done by an electrician

Advertisement