Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord changed locks to evict tenants

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

Under no circumstances am I condoning what the landlord did, but could your friends not have tried to do a deal with a hotel for a few days in order to give themselves breathing space. Most hotels will have family rooms and, given that there are so many hotels complaining that there aren't enough customers, many are willing to haggle a price with potential customers (I've done it myself). It's not ideal, but it could give some much needed breathing space.

OP, did you find out if there was a break lease clause in the lease?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

robd wrote: »
    You've no idea what you're talking about. There is an extreme shortage of quality family homes (3/4 beds) to rent in quality inner Dublin suburbs. .

south city 110 4 bed houses in "south city" for rent just 1 example of a quick seach. Give me a break all are poorly maintained ?

if you cant find somewhere to live in 28 days you are too particular. If they have to move a bus journey away from the kids school then tough luck thats one of the downsides to renting.

again i like everybody else isnt condoning what the landlord did but you have to point out the fact this family are at least partially to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

quozl wrote: »
    Moronic. Landlord illegally evicts tenant who don't know their rights, and you're blaming the tenant? Cop on.
    No need to be abusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

quozl wrote: »
    Exactly, Djimi. Your leases had to add a break clause with that as the condition because that is not the legal position.

I've never had a lease with that break condition by the way, it's unusual. I wouldn't accept one.
    pooch90 wrote: »
    Absolutely incorrect.
    A fixed term lease is legally binding and unless there was a landlord coming back clause then the ll cannot kick them out (once they are still covered by the lease).

Asides from that a ll may NEVER change locks. Get legal advice and go for damages.

I stand corrected so. I was of the impression that this was a normal condition of renting but it appears I was wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

They get followed from room to room while packing up
    I found this part odd. The 28 days were up, but they had not packed anything? You'd think that they were not planning on moving :S

What the landlord did wasn't right, but your friend didn't go about this the right way either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the_syco wrote: »
    I found this part odd. The 28 days were up, but they had not packed anything? You'd think that they were not planning on moving :S

What the landlord did wasn't right, but your friend didn't go about this the right way either.

bang on the money

the whole thing smacks of f**k him we will move when were good and ready thinking that they would dictate the terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

quozl - Is there a reason you keep posting stuff, then deleting it so it doesn't appear in the thread? Its very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

The courts take illegal evictions fairly seriously:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055394376

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The system is completely flawed in favour of the tenant. Most people don't realize this. Once more do, they'll be far more cases like that thread.

Advertisement