Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Monday

• 08-11-2010 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

flat no. 1
    .5 kms from home this morning on way to work: front wheel. Changed for 1 of two spare tubes I had with me.

flat no. 2
    10 minutes later: back wheel. changed for second spare tube I had.

flat no. 3
    Half way home: back wheel. again. no foreign objects visible in the tire. fixed tube from one the flats above with old school repair kit I had with me.

got soaked, cold, etc.

Tomorrow: the biggest, toughest, puncture resistant tires the lbs has to offer.

Thanks to the cyclists (and jogger) who stopped to offer help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Reminds me of my beautiful spin around West Cork in the summer.

Just coming down off Mt Gabriel, heading for Barleycove to meet up with the wife and kids, sun shining, all well.

Then flat #1, fixed, confirmed nothing in tyre. 2 km later, flat #2 front again, fixed.

5 km later, flat number three, back wheel this time. It was then I realised I'd no glue left. And then that the spare tube had a split in it. And that there was absolutely no phone coverage.

Long story short, the world's kindest, and worst, driver, picked me up and and dropped me off, a couple of hours late, to a v pissed off wife and 2 cranky kids.

And of course it was a Saturday evening, so my planned Sunday spin was goosed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

justo wrote: »
    Tomorrow: the biggest, toughest, puncture resistant tires the lbs has to offer.
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus. The only tyres I've never had a puncture in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

I had just christened today the same myself but unfortunately it wasn't a puncture for me, instead, I managed to face plant myself when a kid stepped off the footpath directly in front of me onto the cycle lane.
    I don't know who got the biggest fright but I definitely came off worse in terms of bruises and am now sporting a lovely bruise/graze combo on my chin and a banged up knee
    Black Monday indeed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭rothar man

Schwalbe Blizzard sport

been going accross the city on these for the past 6 months, prob 2500-3000km and not a sniff of a puncture, thats over cobbles/glass/pot holes ect....

for the price point...cant say enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

25k into work this morning. Sun shining, perfect!. 25k back home this evening. Cold dry and no punctures! It's not all bad lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

justo wrote: »
    Thanks to the cyclists (and jogger) who stopped to offer help.

Was that you on Kilbarrack road on the third flat? Or was there another triple flat this morning?...

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Was that you on Kilbarrack road on the third flat? Or was there another triple flat this morning?...

I had my second about 9 am up the road from McHugh's OL.

Heading down to the bike shop this evening for those Gator Skins or similar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I don't know what you people are doing to get all these punctures. I have used the following tyres in the past couple of years, and punctured on none of them.

Conti Grand Prix
    Conti Grand Prix 4000S
    Conti Gatorskin
    Schwalbe Ultremo
    Schwalbe Ultremo R
    Schwalbe Marathon Plus
    Michelin Pro Grip

The only tyres I have punctured on were underinflated cyclocross tyres, but pinch flats don't really count.

I probably don't ride my bikes enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

rachel wrote: »
    I had just christened today the same myself but unfortunately it wasn't a puncture for me, instead, I managed to face plant myself when a kid stepped off the footpath directly in front of me onto the cycle lane.
    I don't know who got the biggest fright but I definitely came off worse in terms of bruises and am now sporting a lovely bruise/graze combo on my chin and a banged up knee
    Black Monday indeed :(

Ouch! Puts pesky punctures in perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I left the Bontrager Racelite Hardcase on my Trek and have yet to get a puncture either, touch wood. And that's after doing several races over the summer on them that were over some very rough tracks, most notably Gael Force and a section on the Wicklow WAR.

• Advertisement
Advertisement