Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

blackrock-clinic scam?

Options
  • 08-11-2010 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭

Got this in the email today. Are they scam artists, or is the site legit? I never talked to them, heck I talked to no-one on the phone on Friday, so I'm not happy with this bullsh|t.
    SNIP <SNIP@blackrock-clinic.com>
    to *******************
    date Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 10:56 AM
    subject FW: Installment Terms 480686-1779992

hide details 10:56 AM (8 hours ago)

Hi ********,

As per our telephone conversation on 05.11.10, we will be willing to accept payment of invoice 1779992 for €445.00 by instalments of €10.00 per week. Please see our bank a/c details below which you can use to then set up a standing order with your bank. The first payment must be received within five working days ie. Friday November 12th 2010. Payments must continue until the full amount of outstanding invoice 1779992 has been received.

If these terms are not met, your account will be forwarded on to our debt collection team for recovery, any additional costs incurred in collecting this debt will be added to your account balance.

Please reply to this email to confirm that you agree with and will comply with the above terms and that payments on your account will begin by the date stated above.

Should you have any questions regarding you’re a/c please don’t hesitate to contact us. If you have the opportunity to make any additional payments on the balance of your account you can contact us on 1800 300 500 to pay over the phone, or should you wish you pay online you can visit our website www.blackrock-clinic.com.

If you would like to query your rejected invoice with VHI you can contact their customer service department on 1850 44 44 44.

Bank Details as follows:

Bank Address: AIB Bank, Main Street, Blackrock, Co. Dublin.

Account Details:

Account Name: Blackrock Clinic Limited,

Account Type: Current Account

Bank Account No: 00577000

National Sort Code: 93 36 78

Thank you in advance for your co-operation in this matter. A copy of the outstanding invoice will be posted to your new address provided.

Kind Regards,

SNIP

-Cashier-

Blackrock Clinic

Rock Road

Blackrock

Co. Dublin

ph. 01 206 4347

SNIP@blackrock-clinic.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Why not just contact Blackrock clinic (using a phone book to get the number) and ask have they mixed you up with someone else? It could be a very similar email address.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

looksee wrote: »
    Why not just contact Blackrock clinic (using a phone book to get the number) and ask have they mixed you up with someone else? It could be a very similar email address.
    I'll do it in the morning, but wanted to ensure that the place was legit before I rang them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Have you (or a partner/child etc) been a patient of Blackrock Clinic?

I wouldn't necessarily think it's a scam. The website referred to is legit. Best bet is to call the Blackrock Clinic directly (ie, not the telephone number given in the letter). From their website, their main telephone number is +353 1 283 2222. You can then ask to speak to a SNIP

I would not ignore this. There is a good chance that this is legit, and if so, you need to get the situation resolved asap before it impacts your credit history.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Looked like a phishing scam but it seems not.

Mind you the quacks in there could clean your bank account out just as fast so I dunno who the real scammers are sometimes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Blackrock Clinic use a .ie email afaik.
    It is very convincing though. Ring them in the morning, at the very least just to warn them about the email if it is a scam. I'm sure they'd be interested.

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Whay is teh REPLY to address in that email syco not the FROM address which is trivial to spoof ??
    The reply to address is SNIP@blackrock-clinic.com

blackrock-clinic.com auto-directs me to blackrock-clinic.ie with the former being in existance since 97

Updated Date: 28-jul-2010
    Creation Date: 27-aug-1997
    Expiration Date: 26-aug-2011

...so it looks like maybe it's an honest mistake. Still, I'll ring them tomorrow, and "check my details", to see how wrong they are...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Scam, phishing scam. Good quality from the look of it. God help anyone who sends any information to that email address. Whay is teh REPLY to address in that email syco not the FROM address which is trivial to spoof ??

Mind you the quacks in there could clean your bank account out just as fast so I dunno who the real scammers are sometimes :)

I really don't think so. Looks like a genuine mistake to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

All companies invoice by post. Look at this as a scam. If it's not they will write to you very soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

JOSman wrote: »
    All companies invoice by post. Look at this as a scam. If it's not they will write to you very soon.

What exactly makes you think it's a scam?

It just went to the wrong person, that's all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If Syco never went there it seems very odd, the reply email address does go to the Blackrock Clinic server......which is not located in Ireland but in London as it happens. Very patriotic. :D

If Syco did go there then they possibly have his email address, a data protection issue maybe ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Doesnt look like a scam as such.
    More than likely a mistake.
    I wonder has the OP used an ambulance lately?

It looks like they have gotten the wrong email address........
    A quick phone call should be able to sort it out. Especially given the invoice/reference number.

Got it sorted. If it looks like a scam, it usually is a scam: thus replying wouldn't have been a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,984 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Bizarre question to ask, if the OP was a patient and the invoice Tally's with what the treatment cost then its genuine, if they were not a patient this is clearly Bull****. On another note, companies rarely deal with credit problems, payment schedules via email and certainly would not give details of bank accounts via email, not withstanding libel concerns i doubt very much an organization such as the Blackrock Clinic would deal with such a matter by email.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Advertisement