Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Road Bike tyres in Autumn/Winter

• 08-11-2010 9:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Corner slower?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Drop a bit of pressure, I would suggest about 10 to 15psi below the max recommended, or go up a width to 25's or 28's if your frame can take them.

I've just switched from bontrager all weather to continental 4000's, much more grip, the bonty rear would slip on sharp climbs a lot, not inspiring for confidence. Conti's were much more grippy on the same route/conditions yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Lumen wrote: »
    Corner slower?

Corner in the bit the cars drive in. I'm pretty much using the middle of Griffith Ave at the mo...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

got a pair of schwalbe delta city cruiser 28c's from planet-x at a sale price and so far Ive had no problems in the heavy rain or on leaves. they dont feel fast but they are comfortable on city roads

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

cdaly_ wrote: »
    I'm pretty much using the middle of Griffith Ave at the mo...

Wow! I'd heard of people texting while driving or cycling, never of people posting messages to forums while cycling...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Lumen wrote: »
    Corner slower?

But don't brake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

Stay off the white and yellow painted bits and look out for patches of oil and diesel too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I use gatorskins year round.

If you almost came off your bike twice then you're doing it wrong. You should be adjusting your speed AND cornering line in accordance with road conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

If you almost came off your bike twice then you're doing it wrong. You should be adjusting your speed AND cornering line in accordance with road conditions.

Au contraire, if you want to go fast, almost coming off the bike is the best way to figure out the optimal speed for taking the corner under those conditions. Actually coming off the bike teaches you the most valuable lesson that you were cycling too fast while staying completely upright and in control suggests that you could've taken the corner faster. :D

Disclaimer: not that I'm suggesting that commuters or roadies on training spins should take each corner as fast as they possibly can

More helpful answer to OP: MTB tyres would actually be worse. I've recently cycled with cyclocross tyres on the road and they're worse in the wet and leaves. All the rest of the advice above is spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭jimbo28

for what its worth i use rimbos on an aksium wheel year round for training.....a match made in heaven, lots of miles done this year and only 2 punctures on them, 1 my own fault. just switched back to front and hoping to get another few miles out of them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement