Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To stay in higher level, or not..

• 08-11-2010 9:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭

Ok so I do all honors subjects (the usual and then French, Business and Physics in school and Applied Maths outside).

I hate Irish, started learning it when I was 10 so have always struggled. I learned a few lines off for my junior cert and got a B in higher.

Since 5th year I have gotten Ds, which I was ok with, not that bothered really. I don't put in much work to be honest because I'm not counting it for points and would need to put in loads of effort to get even a C. I don't mind though, I'm happy enough.

My friend is at my standard but the rest of the class are all High C up to A1 standard and the teacher is fed up of us.

Should I drop down or should I stay as I am?

Ps. As silly as it sounds, I like saying I do all honors..! :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

First of all never leave a class just because you feel some teacher is fed up of you!

Before you just drop back to pass you really have to take a few things into consideration.
    Are you in danger of failing irish? If not I would stay in higher ,because pass will have done different poems & stories that you might actually not find it much easier than higher level!
    Be sure of you're college course as sum higher courses still need honours Irish , even if it's nothing to do with Irish.
    Just remember that most pass teachers don't take sixth year higher students in their class because all the different material you have done & you may end up with the same teacher but just sitting down the back doing past pass papers.

slán agus an t-ádh leat!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    First of all never leave a class just because you feel some teacher is fed up of you!

Before you just drop back to pass you really have to take a few things into consideration.
    Are you in danger of failing irish? If not I would stay in higher ,because pass will have done different poems & stories that you might actually not find it much easier than higher level!
    Be sure of you're college course as sum higher courses still need honours Irish , even if it's nothing to do with Irish.
    Just remember that most pass teachers don't take sixth year higher students in their class because all the different material you have done & you may end up with the same teacher but just sitting down the back doing past pass papers.

slán agus an t-ádh leat!!!!

We have done all the Ordinary level stuff (their stuff clashes with ours) so that wouldn't be a problem. A girl has already dropped down recently, and another in September so it should be no problem.

I don't see myself doing higher after the mocks so I think I should just stop prolonging things..!

Not a bad idea so, you seem to have put a good bit of thought into it & it will inevitabily leave you with more free time for you're other subjects.
    Best make the switch sooner rather than later so!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 workingstudent

Ciaramb92 wrote: »
    I like saying I do all honors..! :P

used be in the same boat..have since dropped down to pass in applied maths (doing it outside school anyway)..frees up some time

my friend had 8 honours..dropped down to pass irish a few weeks ago..says its the best thing she ever did!..makes me consider it too but i tink i'l stay with the honours

if you go back you'l prob have more time for your other subjects so that might be a good way of maximising your potential points?..that was my thinking anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Really practice for your Oral and Aural exams. Do a decent one of them and you will do well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Really practice for your Oral and Aural exams. Do a decent one of them and you will do well.

My oral Irish is dreadful, the aural isn't much better!

A D1 would be pushing it so because of the fine margin between what I can get and a fail, I have decided to definitely drop!

Thanks guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I would really advise against dropping. I was in the same boat as you, I failed my Christmas and summer exams in 5th year, and scraped a pass in the mocks. I got an Irish grind where I would literally just sit and talk in Irish for an hour, about anything, she would read newspaper articles out loud and ask questions then... in no time I was doing well. I got a c2 in the end, was delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 siobhd

An A student of mine dropped down from higher maths to pass last year. I really wanted her to stick with it and she wasn't having too much difficulty.
    She said it was taking up way too much of her time and couldn't afford to devote that much time when it was only as important as any other subject.
    She ended up with 560. It was worth her while. What i'm saying is in the long run it didn't matter that she wasn't doing all higher level, she's now doing OT in Trinity.

Weigh up what's best for you. In a year's time are you really going to be taking about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I'm in the same boat. I'm dreadful at Irish (C3 - C1s and that's with a LOT of work) and most definitely won't be counting it for my points. The problem is that I really like my HL class, we've got a brilliant teacher. All the OL classes are filled to the brim with idiots who spend each and every class messing around and abusing the teacher and i'm afraid i'd worsen my already poor standard of Irish by dropping down. Such a difficult dilemma.

idiots who spend each and every class messing around and abusing the teacher

That's not really just pass irish , plenty of the higher teachers get just as much abuse really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

DaveMur1 wrote: »
    That's not really just pass irish , plenty of the higher teachers get just as much abuse really.
    Higher prevalence of abuse and messing in OL classes in my school anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Snap2010

First off, it's not up to the teacher to decide your level. If you're getting D's stick with it. A higher D is better than a B in Ordinary (A's are hard to get, even at Gnathleibheal) If you stick with higher you'll have the ordinary course covered as well as the higher. This means if you decide to eventually drop your standard will be quite high in comparison.

Advertisement