Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does this tripod exist, or is it imaginary?

• 08-11-2010 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I've been looking for a tripod that acts like a like a Gorilla (flexible, bendable, etc...) but is closer in size to a normal tripod, not the usual 'tabletop' size they usually come in.

I just find myself in situations sometimes where I'd like to have the camera held in place in an odd position, if not angle, at waist and (much) higher levels, and there's no convenient branch, pole or other vertical object to wrap any legs around.

Is this a real product, somewhere, or just a vaporous 'tripod-of-the-future' that's still somewhere over the rainbow?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i saw the thread title and was expecting a hardcore philosophical debate.
    i would say i'm disappointed, except that it's probably a relief that i'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

Benbo tripods are probably as close as you will get, have a look at: http://www.patersonphotographic.com/benbo-tripods.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Mjollnir

Benbo tripods are probably as close as you will get, have a look at: http://www.patersonphotographic.com/benbo-tripods.htm

VERY interesting, thanks! I didn't even know those existed, existentially or otherwise, until just now.

Now to search for them in the US......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Carrigman

I don't see the gap in the market for such a device because a conventional tripod with a good head will deliver what is required.

Gorillapods and the like are all very well but they have a limited application. Their advantage is size and portability for travel purposes but even on that count, in my view, a small, lightweight (not a tapletop) tripod is more useful.

I'm back from a trip to Venice and I packed such a tripod in my checked in luggage without breaching Ryanair's baggage allowance. Fully extended it reaches 4 feet and has a ball and socket head. It fitted the bill perfectly for 90% of the shots where a camera support was required. For the other 10% I wish I had my big Manfrotto. Venice, as you can imagine, is a mecca for photographers. I saw many with conventional tripods but not one with a Gorillapod.

Come to think of it, I have NEVER seen anyone using a Gorillapod. Is it all marketing hype or do people actually use them?

Bottom line for me is to stick with the tried and trusted conventional tripod.

And if you want to see some of my Venice shots try here:

http://carrigman.blogspot.com/2010/11/venice.html

Regards,

John

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There was another support that was a similar concept to the Gorillapod that I saw a while ago at Photovision. I cannot search here (blocked) but I did post something about it back then. It was slightly larger and more able to be used as a "tripod" but not as small as the Gorillapod.

If you search back a couple of years with my name and gorillapod it should come up.

I use my gorillapod quite a bit .... maybe you don't see them as they are quick and easy to set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

I have had a benbo trekker for 10 or 15 years, it's my tripod of choice for anything shot outside on uneven ground.

The only thing to be careful of is that it will allow you to set it into a position that is unstable and the moment you take your hand off it will happily topple over taking your camera with it. So you need to be a little more careful setting it up then you would a normal tripod.

Advertisement