Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Samsung Galaxy S update..

• 08-11-2010 10:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭

Has anyone got the Froyo update yet? The safe way, it says mine cant be updated from Kies, but I see a few people are talking about just getting it......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

lewis wrote: »
    Has anyone got the Froyo update yet? The safe way, it says mine cant be updated from Kies, but I see a few people are talking about just getting it......

No not yet, I am waiting for the official update, it is due this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Cool, there`s no way I`m chancing anything that`s not legit, I did`nt fork out this much money only for it to be fecked cause I rooted it or some poop...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bigears1

Hi
    Anyone got 2.2 update for SGS yet I'm on 3.ie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭wayne040576

I got it through kies last week. I'm on O2, the phone was sim free and unbranded from Expansys. I just plugged it in and the update notification popped up.

There really isn't much different in 2.2. It's just as laggy if not more.
    Skype works, that's about it. And I installed flash and never used it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 bigears1

thanks Wayne, its really annoying, I have been checking each day with out success, I really want flash, must be 3 holding it up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

...There really isn't much different in 2.2. It's just as laggy if not more...

That's my experience too. The browser is particularly slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

bigears1 wrote: »
    Hi
    Anyone got 2.2 update for SGS yet I'm on 3.ie?

Same deal, no joy yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Skype works, that's about it.

Skype works on 2.1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Scotty # wrote: »
    Skype works on 2.1

On the Galaxy it doesn't.

with 3, it does work on 2.1 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭bandit197

That's my experience too. The browser is particularly slow.

Are you using the stock browser? Have you tried Opera? Its far better than the stock one in my opinion.

On the Galaxy it does work but you must get the '3' version via Planet3. This version won't use your data allowance. The market version will not work on a 3 galaxy.

On the Galaxy it does work but you must get the '3' version via Planet3. This version won't use your data allowance. The market version will not work on a 3 galaxy.

OK the market version (the version most people will download) won't work on a Galaxy S with 2.1. It also says that on the information page for the app on the market.

I didn't realise you were talking about the 3 version as you didn't mention it in your original post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Cool, there`s no way I`m chancing anything that`s not legit, I did`nt fork out this much money only for it to be fecked cause I rooted it or some poop...

its up to you but there really isnt anything to worry about

your phone is so much more powerful rooted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

PeakOutput wrote: »
    its up to you but there really isnt anything to worry about

your phone is so much more powerful rooted

ok im not being smart here just in case you think i am.but for those of us (me) :) who havent the phone rooted and i only have mine about 4 weeks.can you name 5 or 6 things good about rooting the phone.

sell it to us lol

cheers

crazygeryy wrote: »
    ok im not being smart here just in case you think i am.but for those of us (me) :) who havent the phone rooted and i only have mine about 4 weeks.can you name 5 or 6 things good about rooting the phone.

sell it to us lol

cheers

its not so much the actual rooting that does anything its what you can do with a rooted phone that makes the big difference, the big one for me was being able to install cognition(a captivate only rom) which instantly fixed my lag issues and made the phone far more customisable. it didnt fix my gps problems completely but it helped me get some sort of lock at least and others report that it fixed it completely

here are two things you might want to read

you shoudl double check this yourself but i remember reading before i rooted mine that the galaxy s root is totally reversible without anyone knowing it was rooted so if something did go wrong you can just 'turn off' the root and send it back to be sorted under warranty and no1 is any the wiser

here are two articles that will be able to give you the pros and cons better then i can

http://www.androidcentral.com/root

http://www.androidcentral.com/rooting-it-me-some-qa

edit; iv had my phone 3 months and its been rooted most of that time but i only actually customised it last week and iv never used it so much since and i still cant use 3g over yet (just havnt sorted the settings) so once i get that sorted i have a feeling i am going to love the phone even more and then if the genius developers and hackers find a way to fix the gps issue for good ill be able to get it immediately

ok great thanks for the reply i will read that.

just one question.can you fix the lag without rooting the phone?and did you have that "lag" when you first got the phone?

just one question.can you fix the lag without rooting the phone?and did you have that "lag" when you first got the phone?

To run the "one click lag fix" the phone needs to be rooted. Dunno if there are any others.

On my phone when I first got it I thought it was very fast and responsive. It took mine a couple of weeks to get annoyingly slow.

ok great thanks for the reply i will read that.

ye had the lag from the start didnt really notice it until i saw videos of 'lagless' phones it was just that extra half a second for the home screens to move or the apps to open

i still have lag when i go into settings but lag everywhere else is gone

ye had the lag from the start didnt really notice it until i saw videos of 'lagless' phones it was just that extra half a second for the home screens to move or the apps to open

Nah it's not just that. Some apps would take 30 seconds to open on my phone.
    Asphalt5 would take minutes.
    Other times the phone would ring and vibrate as a call was coming in but the screen would take 10 - 20 seconds to display the answer button so the caller would hang up before I could answer :P

Now that the lag fix is on, it's working pretty well (not perfect but good).

• Advertisement

OK the market version (the version most people will download) won't work on a Galaxy S with 2.1. It also says that on the information page for the app on the market.

I didn't realise you were talking about the 3 version as you didn't mention it in your original post.

Important to note also that the Market version of Skype will use up your Data Allowance... the '3' Skype App won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭miccy203

I got the 2.2 update today on KIES but it will not let me run my android market.... any ideas how to get round this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did you try restarting your phone?

Or failing that, a factory reset*?

*Note: After the factory reset, you will lose all the information stored on your phone's memory, including any third-party applications installed.
    miccy203 wrote: »
    I got the 2.2 update today on KIES but it will not let me run my android market.... any ideas how to get round this??

miccy203 wrote: »

What network are you with? I'm on Three PAYG - still nothing

though there was a Kies update today, my hopes were raised. Still nothing. Not risking another bricking after the last time I did the reg hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭miccy203

Im on vodafone... when i opened up kies last ngt i had a update on kies and den bout 2 hrs later it came up der was an update for the phone!!!
    can i save the apps onto my memory card??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jini

are there any users out there with Galaxy S from the Carphone Warehouse that have updated via Kies. I'm on bill pay with O2.

I'll give it another week then it rooting time ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm with 3 mobile bill pay. Updated to 2.2 today, phone is running like an absolute gem since.

Kies would not even start on my laptop for the last week so I followed the steps laid out in this thread. Ran into one or two hiccups but nothing major and all answered on thread, read from post #126. Worth a look for anyone still waiting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I'm with 3 mobile bill pay. Updated to 2.2 today, phone is running like an absolute gem since.

Kies would not even start on my laptop for the last week so I followed the steps laid out in this thread. Ran into one or two hiccups but nothing major and all answered on thread, read from post #126. Worth a look for anyone still waiting.

Ah darn, every time time I read 'I'm on three and upgraded' I jump to the pc to upgrade... Only to read the rest and become sad... No update for me.

Maybe tomorrow? ? Lets hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭nicebutdim

jini wrote: »
    are there any users out there with Galaxy S from the Carphone Warehouse that have updated via Kies. I'm on bill pay with O2.

I'll give it another week then it rooting time ..

Yes.....mine is on Meteor Billpay from CPW....got 2.2 last night through Kies

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Ah darn, every time time I read 'I'm on three and upgraded' I jump to the pc to upgrade... Only to read the rest and become sad... No update for me.

Maybe tomorrow? ? Lets hope.

Any luck today yet? I dont want to restart my computer to try. Also Kies is frustrating and sh!t. 'nuf said

I`m just curious, anyone who has the Froyo 2.2, could they do a bench mark test and see how it does, I`d like to compare with mine.
    Quadrant Standard from the market, post up your screen shot results....

FROYO 2.2 (JPM), Rooted and OCLF applied....

screenshot13lw.png

Updated to 2.2 using Odin. Looking at the previous post I may have to apply the OCLF!

attachment.php?attachmentid=136067&stc=1&d=1290521054

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

1,928 :eek: Nice.

Mine is 1,597. Running Froyo JPO - with Voodoo lagfix applied.

1,928 :eek: Nice.

Mine is 1,597. Running Froyo JPO - with Voodoo lagfix applied.

I've just been reading that the OCLF gives a much higher Quadrant score than Voodoo. I got 1955 on first test and 1905 on second. The posted result was my 3rd test.

• Advertisement

Any luck today yet? I dont want to restart my computer to try. Also Kies is frustrating and sh!t. 'nuf said

Nothing today. :(

From what I`ve read at the moment it seems Froyo 2.2 is way slow and its best to root your phone, sometimes the results vary, I dont know why, but I`m happy with it...anyways here`s mine....

Benchmarksresults2192.png

From what I`ve read at the moment it seems Froyo 2.2 is way slow and its best to root your phone, sometimes the results vary, I dont know why, but I`m happy with it...anyways here`s mine....

Jeebus.

Can you link to the guide you used to achieve this?

To be honest I don't fully understand the quadrant results but the maxim seems to be that the bigger the numbers are the better.

I'm pretty happy with how my SGS is running at the minute but if it could be faster I'm all ears.

Current specs below.

attachment.php?attachmentid=136113&stc=1&d=1290527895

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

From that article:
    "Here's rooting in a nutshell: Your Android smartphone is based on Linux. A big, bad, scary computer operating system known only by people with neck beards."
    They're watching me?! :eek:
    Ha.

lewis: is that Advanced Task Killer icon in your taskbar? Don't need it anymore with Froyo!
    It's recommended not to use task killers on Android but especially not on Froyo. :)

BopNiblets wrote: »
    From that article:
    "Here's rooting in a nutshell: Your Android smartphone is based on Linux. A big, bad, scary computer operating system known only by people with neck beards."
    They're watching me?! :eek:
    Ha.

lewis: is that Advanced Task Killer icon in your taskbar? Don't need it anymore with Froyo!
    It's recommended not to use task killers on Android but especially not on Froyo. :)

Yes, I need it,why would`nt you use task killers, if I did`nt have it my phone would be dead in no time. I`d rather have to do the hit one button to kill tasks I`m not using than have a slow Froyo 2.2. I think with a phone like this you need as much maintenance apps as you can get, I even got an anti-virus on here, lol

Heres what I did do get that score, my phone is very fast, very little lag...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjBEBvRVRYs

Then this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY1YXrltIRE&feature=channel Corrected link, sorry

Just take it nice and slowly, they say it impossible to brick this phone but there`s always just one wrong move, you know...
    I found this the easiest and quickest way, compared to all the other ways, I messed around with it and messed up, but I was able to do a recovery, make sure to back up as well, good luck!!!

• Advertisement

Yes, I need it,why would`nt you use task killers
    Main source of lag in my opinion. I know my SGS improved a lot on 2.1 once I uninstalled the ATK app.

good article here on app killers... http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/18334-task-killer-apps-truth.html

Lewis you have the same YouTube link twice in the post above.

Main source of lag in my opinion. I know my SGS improved a lot on 2.1 once I uninstalled the ATK app.

good article here on app killers... http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/18334-task-killer-apps-truth.html

How else then do you go about the apps that are going on in the backround?
    With the steps in the video, its still fast!!!
    Lewis you have the same YouTube link twice in the post above.

Sorted it out man, sorry

Interesting read, but not much to back up the fact that ATK is useless.
    If something is running in the backround, does`nt it use system resources?
    I like having as many maintenance apps as I can find, I find Cache Cleaner and History Eraser very good, hard to find them tough....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Been working on developing for Android for nearly two years now, Task killers work by breaking the Android life cycle, this is not good, it causes all sorts of issues and the development team behind Android hate them.

Which is why from Froyo on they will be doing nothing except be a long running background process themselves hogging up your battery.

Android is a multi tasking OS after all.

draffodx wrote: »
    Been working on developing for Android for nearly two years now, Task killers work by breaking the Android life cycle, this is not good, it causes all sorts of issues and the development team behind Android hate them.

Which is why from Froyo on they will be doing nothing except be a long running background process themselves hogging up your battery.

Android is a multi tasking OS after all.

So you'd recommend, even on 2.1 to not use task killers? And there is no loss in speed/etc by having loads of apps running eating up RAM?

there is no loss in speed/etc by having loads of apps running eating up RAM?
    If something is running in the backround, does`nt it use system resources?

Apparently not. But tbh what I know about Linux you could write on the back of a postage stamp.

I just know that uninstalling it on my 2.1 definitely reduced the lag and I haven't tried it on 2.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

So you'd recommend, even on 2.1 to not use task killers? And there is no loss in speed/etc by having loads of apps running eating up RAM?

The development team behind Android themselves recommend not to use task killers on any version of Android, Dianne Hackborn has replied to several threads on them stating the reasons why on many Android forums.

They are however aware of the problems that task killers try to deal with (in a bad way for a multi tasking OS) and those problems are being dealt with from 2.2 on so while a task killer may be doing something (in a bad way) pre 2.2 from 2.2 on they are essentially useless and while simply be a drain on battery themselves as they are a long running background process doing a lot of monitoring.

Still does`nt prove much......I`ve done a benchmark and results do vary, but overall speed on the phone is the same?
    So I think for me it does`nt make much of a difference, I had Mini Task Killer and ATK and before and after install, speed was the same and bench mark also.

Benchmark 2211 background data on no atk...

Benchmark2211backgrounddataonnoatk.png

Benchmark results 2131 background data off no atk

[IMG][/img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/SullenGrrrrrl/Benchmarkresults2131backgrounddataoffnoatk.png

Benchmark results 2264 background data off no task killers

[IMG][/img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/SullenGrrrrrl/Benchmarkresults2264backgrounddataoff-1.png

Still does`nt prove much......I`ve done a benchmark and results do vary, but overall speed on the phone is the same?
    So I think for me it does`nt make much of a difference, I had Mini Task Killer and ATK and before and after install, speed was the same and bench mark also.

Benchmark 2211 background data on no atk...

Benchmark2211backgrounddataonnoatk.png

Benchmark results 2131 background data off no atk

[IMG][/img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/SullenGrrrrrl/Benchmarkresults2131backgrounddataoffnoatk.png

Benchmark results 2264 background data off no task killers

[IMG][/img]http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p212/SullenGrrrrrl/Benchmarkresults2264backgrounddataoff-1.png

ok i have a few questions.what are the 3 logos up the top lhs?one of them is a camera obviously.what do they all do?or mean?sorry for being dumb.but i have a galaxy and need to know lol

by the way i did that test and i just got one up above the samsung device level.i have 2.2 but not rooted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement