Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chalky ceiling. Primer/Sealer?

• 08-11-2010 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

This is a follow up from a previous post.

I stripped flaking paint from a ceiling. What remains is a very thin layer of chalky paint on the ceiling.

I'm thinking of sealing this with Bullseye 123 before using ceiling paint.

Or would a dilute coat of the ceiling paint be as good?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

If you have the 123 then I'd use that, over a watered down emulsion. The watered down emulsion might bubble any other layers of paint, so at least the sealer wont do this....Seal, fill if needed, sand down, coat with emulsion, and if you need to spot fill do it again, then finish with one last coat of emulsion.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭GreySquirrel

There were so many flakey spots that I stripped the whole ceiling. I had sugar soaped it and rinsed it down. Most of the flakey spots were around the perimiter. I don't know if the rest were there or whether they appeared after the sugar soaping. Most of the paint came off like stripping wallpaper.

I have a tin of 123, can't remember what i used it for.

Most of the chalky stuff comes off with a sponge and warm water.

bulleyes 123 is suitable for chalky and high ph surfaces according to the man in the paint shop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Bullseye it, if you put emulsion onto ceiling without sealing it couple things will happen, one it will bubble (can sometimes go back when dried out) 2 it will come off in little sheets as the emulsion won't take.

i've washed down the ceiling and will bullseye it tomorrow or thursday

OK, I've spot primed the ceiling where the plaster was dinged back to the plaster board. I used BIN. One of the walls is a plaster board partition and i have to spot prime that. After the spot priming, I'll fill the small holes and then 123 the ceiling.

The wood work is in good shape except in a few places were there is small gaps between the skirting and the wall. I'll use flexible filler there.

I'm going to run a spur off a socket to provide a new socket on one of the walls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement