Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

West Coast Oz-North or South from Perth

Options
  • 08-11-2010 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Just looking for a bit of advice, heading to Perth and surroundings for 3 weeks in January.
    Quick question, would you go north (fly to Broome and drive back) or south (fly to Esperance and drive back). Just two of us going and wondering which route would give the best for things to see/do.
    Cheers for any ideas (or tips/hints etc)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

If it were me, I'd do the south west. There's a nice little route you can do from Perth > Marg River > Augusta > Denmark > Albany > Esperance > Kalgoorlie > Perth.

I've not been up north WA so can't comment. I would imagine more to do in South WA.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Depends how much time you're willing to allocate. I've done both and north for memos definitely better. Places like Broome, Exmouth and Kalbarri are amazing, and the weather is a lot nicer than down south.

Having said that, south is good for wineries and that kinda thing plus everything is closer together and also closer to Perth.

Perth to Margaret River - 3 hours drive
    Perth to Exmouth - 13 hours drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Basically what Xavi said. It depends on what you're looking for. Amazing beaches, hotter weather, are up north. Although the distances are much greater between places. Kalbarri, Shark Bay and Coral Bay are amazing. Snorking in Coral Bay is fantastic.

A bit cooler down south, (but its january so it'll be hot everywhere!) but they've got the wineries, forrests, caves, nice beaches, plus its a lot more populated so the distances between things are not as great.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lily09

Thanks a million for the replies. Will be the only one driving so am wondering would south be better. North defo looks more "exotic" though...decisions. Anyont know who would be the cheapest for internal flights am presuming would need one to get back south for the flight home journey too long.
    One last question anyone been to rottnest island is it worth the money to stay there...

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I've been to Rottnest twice and tbh I wouldn't stay over unless you want to have a night out which just involves sitting in the pub.

The island is fantastic though. All you do is grab a ferry from either Hillary's boat harbour (north) or Freo (south) early in the morning (around 7am) then Cary one back in the afternoon. Takes about 40 mins to get there.

On the island it's bikes only unless you're lazy and take the bus ;) The island is very up and downhill so it can be tough at times but there's loads to see and the snorkeling is absolutely fantastic. It's really worth the day out.

For internal flights in WA check out SkyWest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 paidi09

Does anyone know if the greyhound buses operate on the west coast in the same way as the east of do you have to rent a car/camper to travel it. I'm over there on my own for a few weeks in Jan and would like to see some of the coast without the expense and hassle of renting a car on my own. Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I've been to Rottnest twice and tbh I wouldn't stay over unless you want to have a night out which just involves sitting in the pub.

The island is fantastic though. All you do is grab a ferry from either Hillary's boat harbour (north) or Freo (south) early in the morning (around 7am) then Cary one back in the afternoon. Takes about 40 mins to get there.

On the island it's bikes only unless you're lazy and take the bus ;) The island is very up and downhill so it can be tough at times but there's loads to see and the snorkeling is absolutely fantastic. It's really worth the day out.

Ill have to disagree with this, unless perhaps you get the earliest ferry out and the last ferry back and dont linger anywhere.

Went out recently with GF and another couple and against my wishes we got a latish ferry (arrived at 10.30). 11 o clock when we had bikes etc. sorted. Went cycling and only covered about a third of the island and arrived back to the main town area for lunch at about 2, realising we werent going to get out to anywhere else realistically after lunch as our ferry was at four.

Admittedly it was bad timing/planning on our parts but if you are going to go swimming and snorkeling (the water is ridiculously clear, clearer than malta which was the best i had seen before) i think it is well worth staying over. Going to a new years eve "ball" and ll be recruiting people if i can to share a cabin on the island for a weekend.

Also - Quokkas are fecking class, though i think too many people have been feeding them.

Advertisement