Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

72 pin connector replacement on a NES

• 08-11-2010 11:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭

Dusted off the old NES and found a blinking red light which apparently means that I need to replace the 72 pin connector. I found this site:
    http://www.jandar.net/nes72pin/

which makes it look pretty easy to replace. Has anyone done this? Is it as easy as it looks? Where can I get a replacement connector? I see ones listed on Amazon, I'm guessing that's the way to go...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

They're really cheap on ebay.

I haven't done it myself but I've heard it's extremely easy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Yep it is as easy as it looks but before you go buying it have you tried cleaning the cartridge itself first? As mentioned in Step 7 in your link get hold of some cleaning alcohol solution and cotton buds. Worked wonders for me with MD carts. Worth a try first but you'll probably need the new connectors.

P.S. If you can't find the alcohol solution then just ask atavan-halen to burp into a bag and post it to ya. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Also, before you run out and buy a new 72 pin connector, it's possible to fix the one you already have.

It's currently not working because all the pins aren't making a connection with the cart. You can just bend the pins back into place and it'll fix it. It's time consuming but apparantly works really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Was having the same problem but found that cleaning the carts with windolene and qtips worked wonders. In that case the connectors on the NES were hugging the cart tightly, another NES of mine doesn't and so it's the connector that's the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Cheers folks, will give the carts a clean and see if that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Replacing the 72pin connector is very easy, even I did it.
    Just a few screws to keep a track of. Would give it a difficulty level of 2 screwdrivers out of 5 ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

You should probably give your games a clean too now that you have a shiney new 72pin. i bought a screwdriver bit off ebay to open them up then scrubbed the dirt of em and cleaned with qtips and wiped clean, they all work perfect now. there are various video guides on the net on how to do it, some guys use a pencil eraser to clean the pins, i just used a wire scrubber thing, like a brillo pad put without the pink stuff in it that foams.

Advertisement