Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a dog yelp?

Options
  • 08-11-2010 11:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

Ok, might be a silly question, but, would a dog yelp, like a pain yelp at another dog because they dont want them near them etc.
    Basically my male rottie doesnt seem to want to have anything to do with the pup tonight and everytime she comes over to play with him and makes any sort of contact with him, he lets out a loud yelp, like an "ouch" yelp.

Ive checked him all over, poked and prodded and he doesnt react at all so i cant find anything thats hurting him so im finding it a bit strange.:confused:

Hes done this about 5 different times tonight.

He does seem a little off form, as in quiet but has eaten his dinner and we went for a jog earlier and he was fine.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Is he in regular contact with other dogs?
    And what is your puppy doing when he goes over to him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh yeah he is, he gets on brilliant with the pup, just tonight hes totally off with her and doesnt want anything to do with her and also seems very clingy to me.
    Shes just trying to interact with him and play, what they usually do. They spend most evenings playing together, rough and tumble, just not tonight for some reason...

Maybe hes just not feeling the best and is his way of telling her to back off instead of growling, so was just wondering would a dog let out that type of yelp to warn her off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

Because the pup is in regular contact and he has only started doing this tonight, I would have him checked by a vet.

Was there any toys or food near him when he 'yelped' at the pup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

andreac wrote: »
    Oh yeah he is, he gets on brilliant with the pup, just tonight hes totally off with her and doesnt want anything to do with her and also seems very clingy to me.
    Shes just trying to interact with him and play, what they usually do. They spend most evenings playing together, rough and tumble, just not tonight for some reason...

Maybe hes just not feeling the best and is his way of telling her to back off instead of growling, so was just wondering would a dog let out that type of yelp to warn her off.

What kind of pup is she? And how old was she when you got her? Does she get more attention than him?

Because the pup is in regular contact and he has only started doing this tonight, I would have him checked by a vet.

Was there any toys or food near him when he 'yelped' at the pup?

No, not at all, thats the strange thing. They get on like a house on fire. Ill see how he is tomorrow.

• Advertisement

No, not at all, thats the strange thing. They get on like a house on fire. Ill see how he is tomorrow.

Are you able to take a dog's temperature anally?

easyeason3 wrote: »
    What kind of pup is she? And how old was she when you got her? Does she get more attention than him?

Ah, its not that Easy, thanks anyway for suggesting:). Ive had her since August and all is great with them.
    He just seems totally off with her tonight so this yelping was concerning me, but ive had a really good look over him and cant find anything.

Are you able to take a dog's temperature anally?

Not a hope, even the vet cant take his temp, hes a very bad patient. Ill see how he is tomorrow and go from there.
    Just wondering would they warn a dog off with a yelp as oppose to a growl, as that what he seemed to be doing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

It sounds like he is taking offence at something, has the pup rolled in anything smelly or something, has he been eating anything that might have got lodged in his gums or elsewhere and have you checked between his toes for cuts/scrapes etc?

Not a hope, even the vet cant take his temp, hes a very bad patient. Ill see how he is tomorrow and go from there.
    Just wondering would they warn a dog off with a yelp as oppose to a growl, as that what he seemed to be doing.

The yelp to the pup is a concern, it is your dog telling the pup that I am sensitive somewhere. It tells me that he is feeling unwell or maybe has a bruise somewhere.

If the dog was just tired or done playing, they would growl.

You said you felt him all over, but a dog will rarely react like he does to the pup to their master. So while you have prodded, he would not be inclined to yelp at you as s/he has too much respect for you.

• Advertisement

It sounds like he is taking offence at something, has the pup rolled in anything smelly or something, has he been eating anything that might have got lodged in his gums or elsewhere and have you checked between his toes for cuts/scrapes etc?

No deffo hasnt rolled in anything as they have both been in the house since their walk and had been playing earlier.
    Cant find any obvious cuts, scrapes etc so this one is a mystery.:confused:

The yelp to the pup is a concern, it is your dog telling the pup that I am sensitive somewhere. It tells me that he is feeling unwell or maybe has a bruise somewhere.

If the dog was just tired or done playing, they would growl.

You said you felt him all over, but a dog will rarely react like he does to the pup to their master. So while you have prodded, he would not be inclined to yelp at you as s/he has too much respect for you.

Ok, thanks for that advice. He would usually growl at her if hes had enough or gets up and walks away, but this yelping is deffo concerning me.

He seems to be at his paw now, so maybe something there is a little sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My experience of the Rottie breed is that they are pretty stoic, they don't show signs of pain for no reason. If I accidently stepped on my girls paw she would kind of look at me as if to say "what did you do that for?" but not yelp.
    Due to the Rottie's reputation with cancer (not trying to scare you! :o) I would be inclined to get him the once over by a vet just to put your mind at ease, as an owner sometimes our gut just tells us something is wrong, better to be safe than sorry.
    Hope by the time you are reading this he's feeling better! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hope he is feeling better today andreac. Let us know.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Our Rottie met this very boisterous GSD who was a bit too full on for her and she yelped to get him to back off. Normally she would just low growl at dogs she didn't want to interact with, and it's the only time I've seen her doing it. nothing wrong with her physically, so not sure why she chose to react like that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

He may be yelping when she comes over because he is uncomfortable or in pain in some way and is telling her so. When you went poking at him he may not have wanted to show that he was in pain (dogs are odd like that, sometimes they are big babies and at others they put up a brave face). If he seems a bit off in general today I would make an appointment with a vet. It could have been something very simple, like a cramp, but you don't want to be left wondering if it was something more serious.

If he is at his paw, it could be a multitude of things (most of which are not serious). Best to get it checked by the vet and ease both your mind and his discomfort.

Let us know how you get on!

Hey, thanks for all the advice, i think its his paw. He seemed slightly lame on it today so that must have been it.
    There isnt any swelling, cut or anything so it must be just a bruise or a slight twist so will keep an eye on it and rest him.

Irushe, that cancer scares the crap out of me with the rotties:( A friend who i know through the shows lost his fab rottie there last week to cancer, only 5 years old, and my others friends rottie has it too and shes around same age, so its very worrying.

Irushe, that cancer scares the crap out of me with the rotties:( A friend who i know through the shows lost his fab rottie there last week to cancer, only 5 years old, and my others friends rottie has it too and shes around same age, so its very worrying.

Tell me about it, everytime I groom Brook I run my hands up and down her searching for any lumps or bumps, the scary thing is it doesn't seem to discriminate between old or young dogs :(

Anyway so glad to hear your guy is feeling better, I had a dog go lame from a grass seed caught in between her toes, took it out and she was immediately fine, so maybe just something to look out for!

I know, im the same, checking Cooper nearly everyday too. My friend with the rottie who has cancer now also had another rottie though who lived to 13 and had diabetes for 3 years too, so thats the other side of it too, you just never know.

Cooper is a bit of a wimp anyway, lol, so the slightest bit of pain would make him cry, hes a big softy really. He lay at my feet all eve last night feeling sorry for himself.

Cooper is a bit of a wimp anyway, lol, so the slightest bit of pain would make him cry, hes a big softy really. He lay at my feet all eve last night feeling sorry for himself.

Males are the same in all species so ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Our male GSD used to do similar when we got a female pup. He did like playing with her but not as much as she wanted to so when he got fed up he would lift one paw and started screaming...it had the 2 desired effects he wanted..we came running and she backed off:) it really scared us the first few times as it sounded like he had been shot or something!! He was just a big baby though as when you went over to him and told what a poor good boy he was he got all excited, forgot about his "pain" and bounded off again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

lrushe wrote: »

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭adser53

lrushe wrote: »

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Ok, might be a silly question, but, would a dog yelp, like a pain yelp at another dog because they dont want them near them etc.
    Basically my male rottie doesnt seem to want to have anything to do with the pup tonight and everytime she comes over to play with him and makes any sort of contact with him, he lets out a loud yelp, like an "ouch" yelp.

Ive checked him all over, poked and prodded and he doesnt react at all so i cant find anything thats hurting him so im finding it a bit strange.:confused:

Hes done this about 5 different times tonight.

He does seem a little off form, as in quiet but has eaten his dinner and we went for a jog earlier and he was fine.

I just had a quick read though the thread but yeah I've seen dogs do this. One of mine at the moment does it although it is definitely more common in puppies but Ive seen older dogs do it and it generally happens when they are off form for some reason and they don't want any interaction. I generally find its usually gentle dogs that react this way rather than growl or tell the other dog off.

Advertisement