Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light Fruit Cake Recipe? Please?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Anyone have a recipe for a light fruit cake. Have loads of ingredients left over from the xmas cake and want to use up some of them. Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I make these fruit squares regularly:

8 oz sugar (granulated is fine)
    9 oz margarine
    8 oz dried fruit - I use half sultanas, half currants
    2 eggs, beaten
    9 oz self-raising flour
    1 teaspoon of vanilla essence (optional)
    The grated rind of half a lemon
    Flaked almonds to sprinkle on top

Pre-heat oven to 180C - fan oven 170C
    Grease and base line a brownie tin or similar sized square tin.

Put margarine and sugar in a pot over a low heat and stir until the margarine melts.
    Remove from heat and add dried fruit, eggs, lemon rind and vanilla essence and mix well.
    Add flour and mix really well.
    Pour into tin and scatter the flaked almonds over the top.
    Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown and cooked in the centre.
    Alllow to cool completely in the tin before turning out onto a board and cutting into squares.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Try a yeast-leavened fruit cake/bread, such as the Italian "Panetonne" - the texture will be lighter due to the yeast, as opposed to the heavy texture of a chemically-leavened one, whose effect isn't very strong in dense fruit cakes.

Another use for excess dried fruits and mixed peel is to make your own mincemeat. You can use this not only for mince pies - gingerbread frangipane mincemeat pies are very tasty!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Eccles cakes are another way of using up dried fruit and they're really nice. I use frozen puff pastry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

gingerbread frangipane mincemeat pies are very tasty!
    What are they?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Shortcrust pastry pies, some mincemeat filling on the bottom, similar to a bakewell tart, topped with frangipane paste that has some gingerbread spice added to it. Lighter than a traditional mince pie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Cheers for all the replys - meant to try some at the weekend but time got away from me - there's always next weekend.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Shortcrust pastry pies, some mincemeat filling on the bottom, similar to a bakewell tart, topped with frangipane paste that has some gingerbread spice added to it. Lighter than a traditional mince pie.
    Oooh I've been dreaming of Frangipane since yesterday (jamie oliver made some tarts) :D Will deffo make these as a twist on the traditional :)

Advertisement