Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need YOUR knowledge!

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭

For the past few years I've kind of had my head in the sand regarding modern metal bands. I say kind of... I mean pretty much completely.

Just picked up an As I lay dying album, really liking it.

Basically, could you guys recommend any decent modern metal bands to get my teeth into?

Now I feel I should say, hooks and grooves are important to me. Like, the heavier the better, but as long as its a controlled sort of heavy? If that makes any sense.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

If you liked As I lay Dying, I'll recommend...

The Ghost Inside
    For The Fallen Dreams
    Architects
    Sleeping Giant
    Bring Me The Horizon
    The Empire Shall Fall
    Periphery

They should keep you going for a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Addicted by Devin Townsend, well the Devin Townsend Project to be exact.:)

Heavy as hell in places in that controlled manner that I think you mean, but uber catchy.

I'm the same as the op. Out of the scene completely, so can any of you guys help recommend some new music? What I listen to would be Therapy?, Alice in Chains, Helmet, White Zombie, Soundgarden and The Prodigy (typical ex-grunger reading that list!)

Really liked Dinosaur Pile up, but then they disappeared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Papa Smut wrote: »
    I'm the same as the op. Out of the scene completely, so can any of you guys help recommend some new music? What I listen to would be Therapy?, Alice in Chains, Helmet, White Zombie, Soundgarden and The Prodigy (typical ex-grunger reading that list!)

how about some Karnivool?

Its sort of helmet-y, but better IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Zombienosh wrote: »
    If you liked As I lay Dying, I'll recommend...

The Ghost Inside
    For The Fallen Dreams
    Architects
    Sleeping Giant
    Bring Me The Horizon
    The Empire Shall Fall
    Periphery

They should keep you going for a bit

Listened to all of the above on youtube there, cheers!

Architects and the empire shall fall seem to be exactly what I was looking for. The ghost inside also ticked some boxes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Papa Smut wrote: »

They've just released their debut album in the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Zombienosh wrote: »
    how about some Karnivool?

Its sort of helmet-y, but better IMO

Jesus they are so good. Downloaded Sound Awake last night. Cheers for that gem!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

As I Lay Dying are an intermediate band for me, in that I don't dislike them but I don't particularly find anything about their music makes me want to listen to more. Having said that, their frontman Tim Lambesis has a side project called Austrian Death Machine, which is well worth checking out.

It's basically Lambesis performing all instruments, and a few guest musicians from time to time, with a friend who does an Arnold Schwarzenegger impression (the entire thing is set up as a "tribute" to Arnie). Their second album was released around this time last year and is called Double Brutal, well worth fishing out on Amazon and you also get some great cover versions

And if it's Arnie tribute acts, or militaristic metal you are into, you can also check out Schwarzenegger's "other" tribute band ArnoCorps

If you would like me to recommend you a band, a good rising metal band, whom I think you'll like - please check out Thrash "revivalists" Gama Bomb. This is a song about Robocop

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Plug band names into Music Map and you'll get some matches.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

In the style of death metal, Beneath The Massacre

I think they were nominated for Best Underground act in 2009 in Metal Hammer. Considering Behemoth won it, that's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

I will always recommend Rammstein but since that's already been done, may I interest you in a band from Thurles called iBurn. They have 1 self published album out and are releasing their 2nd this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kilgannon

For the past few years I've kind of had my head in the sand regarding modern metal bands. I say kind of... I mean pretty much completely.

Just picked up an As I lay dying album, really liking it.

Basically, could you guys recommend any decent modern metal bands to get my teeth into?

Now I feel I should say, hooks and grooves are important to me. Like, the heavier the better, but as long as its a controlled sort of heavy? If that makes any sense.

As i lay dying are a good band make sure you listen to "An ocean Between us"
    Another great band is sylosis.a truly talented band check out their albums "casting shadows" and 2the sumpreme opressor" two absolutly amazing albums.they have another album called conclusions of an age i think but i havnt yet got to buy it, i look foward to it though.
    i would recommend anterior,absolutly amazing live with some incredible break downs and solos.their music just like sylosis sounds so perfect.its sex to the ears.
    if you want a controlled sort of heavy you should check out meshuggah.the technacality of thir work is truly amazing.any album will suffice.
    threat signal are an amazing band to but im not to sure if they use a drum machine or not.
    Chimaira are a very technical band with great riffs and spine tingling solos.the synth in the back adds an incredible atmosphere to the music.their drummer andols is truly outstanding his use of the double bass peddles along with double rides and rolls is unimaginable.if you want heavy listen to "eyes of a criminal" on their album impossibility of reason.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

I'm a huge fan of As I Lay Dying so I'll fire off a few more that I like;

Lamb of God
    Killswitch engage
    Threat Signal
    Arch enemy
    In flames
    unearth
    evile
    all that remains
    36 crazyfists

just a few.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I second Motley Crue's opinion on Gama Bomb - great band!!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

In Flames
    Soilwork
    Dream Theater
    Enter Shikari
    Biffy Clyro
    Fellsilent

... Go! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

A lot of good bands here.
    I you are looking for something that is both really heavy but also accessible to the untrained (or out of practice) ear i would suggest After the Burial

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭DaylightDies

Textures are the band for you if it's hooks and grooves you want ;)

Check out Textures- Regenesis and Textures- Millstone, two great tracks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

Mastodon
    Opeth
    Between the Buried and Me
    All Shall Perish
    Gojira
    Lamb of God
    Chimaira
    Machine Head

These above are most of the gems of modern mainstream heavy metal. And they're all fairly fwuckin heavy hey! All great gateways into the underground stuff too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Hi

You can always try these ones:

- Heimdalls Wacht (Pagan BM with German lyrics)
    - Endstille (they have a new vocalist now, Zingultus, who was with the German
    legends Nagelfar before)

Enjoy:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement