Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Development

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, Just wondering if anybody knows how I would go about creating a website that will allow users to create accounts on it? and become members. I've created websites before and I know some programming languages... so it should be easy enough?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

LivoK wrote: »
    I've created websites before and I know some programming languages... so it should be easy enough?

Is what you are looking to build difficult?, not necessarily, but if this is to be delivered on a commercial basis you will have a longer list of technical concerns ahead of you. You mentioned you have experience developing websites, I am assuming static sites, yes/no?

What programming experience do you have?

There is a multitude of tools/languages/frameworks/etc that will enable you achieve the desired results, E.g. PHP, Ruby on Rails, Python (Django), Java, etc. In this day and age for any "custom" app, I advise you to employ a proper MVC framework and code with security in mind, sanitize those inputs, etc, etc, etc.

Beyond the server tier and closer to home, keep an eye on your cross browser compatibility and standards compliance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Look into a content management system such as Joomla, supports this functionality out of the box so to speak, may be worth checking out :)

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hzhang

If you know PHP, then Drupal will be your right choice.

Advertisement