Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In need of a good fish cook book?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

can anyone recommend me a good fish cook book?
    Ive looked online but there are so many.

A new fish shop has open ed near me that Id like to make use of
    In it Id like info on how to best prepare the fish and some nice fish recipes.
    I like cooking but Im a novice when it comes to preparing/cooking fish.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Fish by Sophie Grigson. Covers everything you need to know about fishies.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d.html/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/275-6443505-7115135?a=0747276773

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Rick Stein seems to have that market dominated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have a few fish books but the best one I have is called From Tide to Table by Georgina Campbell.
    It is an Irish book and has many good recipes that are tailored for Irish tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

The seafood bible from Marks & Spencer is quite good, with info on gutting and preparing fish and also on stock sustainability.

Some quite simple ones I have tried like chilli and ginger stuffed mackerel and fish bakes to more complex ones with red snapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,048 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

CJhaughey wrote: »
    recipes that are tailored for Irish tastes.

That's a good thing??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yes sure it is. Irish people by and large don't like mouthfuls of fiery chilli crab, but they do like the flavours involved.
    To tailor something to a national taste is to appeal to a broad segment of the population and if that means tweaking recipes to suit us why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭TurkeyBurger

CJhaughey wrote: »
    From Tide to Table by Georgina Campbell.
    It is an Irish book and has many good recipes that are tailored for Irish tastes.

Fantastic book, very easy to follow and being Irish, all of the ingredients are easy enough to pick up. The chowder recipes in it are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I have Fish by Tom Aikins, a Michelin star chef, which is really comprehensive, covers recipes from 5 minute flavour combos to more complex stuff. He also goes into sustainable fisheries and what to look for when buying and gutting and filleting and all that stuff too! NOT that I've attempted gutting or anything :rolleyes:
    Rick Stein seems to have that market dominated.

My dad has a couple of these and they are great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I would agree with the recommendation for Fish by Sophie Grigson.
    Lots of great recipes and good information about types of fish
    and how to prepare them.
    Also, for a more traditional view of fish cookery, check out
    "Fish Cookery" by Jane Grigson, Sophies mother.

I have a fish cookery book by Rick Stein which is quite good but not nearly
    as good as Sophies book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Malari wrote: »
    I have Fish by Tom Aikins, a Michelin star chef, which is really comprehensive, covers recipes from 5 minute flavour combos to more complex stuff.

Thanks, that's next on my wishlist - can't have too many cookbooks, I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

FISH by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall is very good. Very good information on catching, preparing and cooking all kinds of fish/ seafood in all types of ways.

Great recipes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

Thanks guys, alot to consider there.
    Gone from none to lots to choose from...now which one to start with?...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Framed10

trackguy wrote: »
    FISH by Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall is very good. Very good information on catching, preparing and cooking all kinds of fish/ seafood in all types of ways.

Great recipes too.

Catching! maybe not just yet :p
    I think I will just start with the basics on preparing a fish (ie if I was to buy a fish whole) and simple recipes to cook them.
    I sometimes find when I cook fish it needs something more added like seasoning/veg/dressing etc to bring out the best in it.
    so I need ideas on these too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Minder wrote: »
    Thanks, that's next on my wishlist - can't have too many cookbooks, I find.

Never too many! Even if I only use it once every few months, it's worth having it on the shelf :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

For a novice I'd recommend Clodagh McKennas "Fresh from the sea"
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fresh-Sea-Clodagh-McKenna/dp/071714657X

Its got lots of simple fish recipes and also marinades and sauces.
    Most recipes only require a few easily got ingredients but are delcious.

I've also got a Rick Stein one but hardly use it as the recipes , though magnificent , are just too complex and typically require well over 10 ingredients and at least two kinds of fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

bullpost wrote: »
    I've also got a Rick Stein one but hardly use it as the recipes , though magnificent , are just too complex and typically require well over 10 ingredients and at least two kinds of fish.

I agree. Its like a lot of recipe books written by people who own restaurants.
    Wonderful recipts that involve lots of pots and ingredients and steps. Great if you have a team of sou chefs and kitchen porters, but not so practical at home, especially if you are a novice.

Advertisement