Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone actually think Andy Parsons is funny?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Actually ill take it a step further, does anyone think Mock the Week is funny without Frankie Boyle?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

To answer the thread title, I think Andy Parsons isn't a fantastic stand-up comic. He's very slow with his jokes, and most of them are political.

As for Mock the Week, I still think it's fantastic. It's where Andy Parsons is really good. Voiceovers from Hugh Dennis, and the final round is absolutely hilarious. I don't miss Frankie Boyle personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hugh Dennis still makes me laugh, it depends on the guests as to the quality of the show IMHO.

Andy Parsons is useless though, the only one who I think is worse on a panel show is Dave Spikey.

I saw Andy Parson's stand up show the other day. I really enjoyed it. I think he's alright on mock the week, but the problem with that format, (The comedy 'quiz' show) it's usually not trying to be funny, but showing how smart you can be, ie; intelligence can't be funny, which if you watch Bill Hicks, Rich Hall etc, that's completely untrue.

The snidiness (yeah, it's a word!) of those shows do make me cringe though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

ziedth wrote: »
    Hugh Dennis still makes me laugh, it depends on the guests as to the quality of the show IMHO.

Andy Parsons is useless though, the only one who I think is worse on a panel show is Dave Spikey.

Ah Dave Spikey isn't the worst. :o:p
    Seriously though, i agree about Hugh Dennis- can be a bloody funny guy.
    His "have YOU had an accident at work..." gag is not ground-breaking comedy but can be used to brilliant effect when you're not expecting it in the stand-up round.

Parsons is a bit like an English Delamere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Ah Dave Spikey isn't the worst. :o:p
    Seriously though, i agree about Hugh Dennis- can be a bloody funny guy.
    His "have YOU had an accident at work..." gag is not ground-breaking comedy but can be used to brilliant effect when you're not expecting it in the stand-up round.

Parsons is a bit like an English Delamere.

Good comparison, I thought Delamare started out quite well and I even went to his stand up shows, but he has gone seriously down hill in the last year or so. I imagine Andy Parsons is probably quite good live as his facial expressions are quite pronounced, but that doesn’t come across too well on camera. That said he is rarely funny on Mock the Week.

I miss Frankie but it’s still a great show. I like Chris Addison on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Cloee

I love the show :) but its not even close to as good as it was with Frankie :( they should bring him back!
    ah Andy is alright, there's far worse comedians out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Learismad

Andy Parsons is the most annoying "comedian" I've ever seen. I love mock the week but after putting up with Parsons unfunny and stupid jokes for a couple of episodes, I just skip the parts where he talks. I have never seen any of the other comedians on the show actually laugh at any of his "jokes". Parsons jokes are all political and just plain boring. There are far better and more deserving comedians that should take his place on the panel. Parsons annoys me and I'm pretty sure from being a fan of the show that none of the other comedians find him at all funny. The audience laugh at his jokes because they're all political and they feel smarter and upper crusty for knowing what the joke was about, even though it's really not that funny. Personally I think Frankie Boyle is one of the funniest comedians and was one of the best on the show. I'd like to see him make a return to the show and hopefully get rid of Parsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,725 ✭✭✭✭briany

I used to see him on the old Comedy Store program, well before Mock the Week ever got started and always found him very funny on that, myself. MotW has a reputation of being a cynical soundbitey sort of program and that's tainted him maybe. Well, it's tainted all the comics who appear on it. Then again, that 'tainting' allows them to keep a high profile, so they mightn't mind too much.

Advertisement