Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What could be wrong with my Eircom BB?

• 09-11-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭

First of all:
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps): Downstream 832, Upstream 384.
    SN Margin (dB); Downstream 6.40, Upstream 12.00.
    Line Attenuation (dB);Downstream 49.50, Upstream 31.50.
    CRC Errors;Downstream 3288, Upstream 108
    The line im paying for?

7Mb. And i know what your going to suggest, that maybe my line cant handle such speeds?

Line is only newly installed, said i would get 6mb speeds, i was reluctant, but sure as anything when i first booted up the router, there it was, 4.8mb (ok, not 6, but i was happy).

Over the while ive been exceptionally happy with my connection, its hardly ever dropped under 2mb at peak and have been able to hit 6.06mb a few weeks ago. :D

I was on to the eircom support site and the suggestion was that i had a filter in somewhere wrong.
    I don't have sky, no fax machines, no alarms, nothing.
    Not even a corded phone is connected! :cool:

There was never anything else connected since the line was set up other than my modem.

So that rules out the two bigger possibilities; Line capability and interference on the line.

I know i'll have to call them at some stage but would love some advice from great posters that ive seen regularly giving great advice to other desperate fools like myself. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

There is always the possibility of physical damage to the line between yourself and the exchange. Do you know what your line stats were before the performance deteriorated?

Also have you tried the line plugged directly into the socket without the filter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

dub45 wrote: »
    There is always the possibility of physical damage to the line between yourself and the exchange. Do you know what your line stats were before the performance deteriorated?

Also have you tried the line plugged directly into the socket without the filter?

That is with the line directly into the socket. I was told not to use a filter if there was nothing else connected in the house.

I never thought of looking as the connection was so good i never seen a need to look.

Just an update/bump,

My downstream Max Allowed Speed (kbps) has gone done even more to 584!

My CRC errors were 18,000 last night but has now gone down to 394?
    Are the two related?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

May not be a connection/line problem. CRC (Cyclic Redundancy) errors usually are PC based problems with the registry. Did you fully install any and all software for the modem/broadband access? Did you have previous internet access software that may have needed to be uninstalled before adding new program which might conflict. There are online programs that could check your PC (you might have to pay for a fix but see if something is wrong first).

Plazaman wrote: »
    May not be a connection/line problem. CRC (Cyclic Redundancy) errors usually are PC based problems with the registry. Did you fully install any and all software for the modem/broadband access? Did you have previous internet access software that may have needed to be uninstalled before adding new program which might conflict. There are online programs that could check your PC (you might have to pay for a fix but see if something is wrong first).

The only thing that they gave me was the disc but i thought they were just instructions on how to use the modem.

I have another one here lying around that i can pull out and connect.
    If the router was installed wrong this should fix it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

the disc is only for noobies that have no idea how to set up a router.
    If you already know this then you can throw it away.
    Basically eircom broadband has been crap the past couple of nights with over 300ms and slow downloads.
    I've already been onto the lads on twitter (eircomconnect) and got the usual "are you using a third party modem" bullshít.
    Fact is there are various reports (look at the threads in this section) all highlighting the issue over the past few nights so it's definitely not a router issue.
    I hope this is not a repeat of the eircom fiasco when they upgraded the exchanges to 24meg but since they're pushing NGB out in the cities I suspect this has something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭lynchie

Plazaman wrote: »

The CRC errors on the modem have absolutely NOTHING to do with any PC connected to it. CRC errors are NOT solely PC based and are in fact redundancy checking errors on data transmissions. The CRC errors on the modem are the result of incoming packets of information from the DSLAM to the modem being corrupted most probably due to low SNR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

i switched to digiweb there a few days ago.. but before that my eircom went down to 160kb downstream (i was on 1Mb line and it was 1024 or whatver)

i hit around 20kb/s download. :/

i assumed it had something to do with the fact i was switching provider.
    now my router shows (digiweb 7Mb line)
    Modem Status Connected
    DownStream Connection Speed 7168 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 384 kbps

i was told i could only get 6Mb also. im hitting 750kb/s.
    did a speedtest and its 8Mb im getting it seems.. even taht 750 jumps at times.
    happy out. took around 15 days for the change to happen though which was a pain.

i also would have thought you need a filter anyway for broadband..but maybe im wrong.
    what your modem says is what you are recieveing from your isp i would think so its a problem in the line leading up to it be it either your line or theirs or taht they limited your service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Bruno2010

CMpunked wrote: »
    First of all:

The line im paying for?

7Mb. And i know what your going to suggest, that maybe my line cant handle such speeds?

Line is only newly installed, said i would get 6mb speeds, i was reluctant, but sure as anything when i first booted up the router, there it was, 4.8mb (ok, not 6, but i was happy).

Over the while ive been exceptionally happy with my connection, its hardly ever dropped under 2mb at peak and have been able to hit 6.06mb a few weeks ago. :D

I was on to the eircom support site and the suggestion was that i had a filter in somewhere wrong.
    I don't have sky, no fax machines, no alarms, nothing.
    Not even a corded phone is connected! :cool:

There was never anything else connected since the line was set up other than my modem.

So that rules out the two bigger possibilities; Line capability and interference on the line.

I know i'll have to call them at some stage but would love some advice from great posters that ive seen regularly giving great advice to other desperate fools like myself. :)

Hi, you should be seeing 4 - 5Mb speeds with that attenuation. suggest you contact eircom Broadband Support (the online guys can do this too) as they can check your line for any faults. If your speed is dropping that low it could be due to some internal wiring issue. I assume there are no torrents running on your line? As this would affect your speeds

And so the plot thickens.

Today is my only day at home and decided it would be the most opportune time to call them, as if they ask me to reset router or whatever i would be there to do it.

Now it turns out my phone has no dial tone.
    :rolleyes:

I havent called them yet, IF it is something on my side (how, makes no sense to me) how much are they going to charge me to get it sorted?

• Advertisement
Advertisement