Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monroes on a Saturday night.

Options
  • 09-11-2010 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Just wondering what Monroes is like on a Saturday night. What type of bands play? And in general, is it good craic? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

What happened to your pliers?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

He is still trying to navigate his way out of Now thats what I call music 25. Any info on Monroes per chance?

Beers, pizza, alright, but would prefer the crane myself.

Its for a birthday party with a whole pile of "Busker's heads" (I am not one of these) Trying to please them without me spending the night wanting to stick pencils into my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

chakademus wrote: »
    Its for a birthday party with a whole pile of "Busker's heads" (I am not one of these) Trying to please them without me spending the night wanting to stick pencils into my eyes.
    :D
    well monroes is probably a good compromise then!

decent pop & rock cover bands and nice venue, very clannish crowd IMO and the girls get a bit rough with a few drinks in them...there's always a catfight in the "ladies" toilets any time I've been there!

but hey just stay near the bar and you'll be ok!

It is one of the better venues in town for late drinks and live music in fairness

• Advertisement

Cheers lads for the pointers.. there is talk of Kelly's? I'm at a loss. Not sure about the catfight situation in Monroes but sure feck it, nowheres perfect?:eek:

Cheers lads for the pointers.. there is talk of Kelly's?

Topshop don't make country pubs, but if the did they would make Kellys.
    Would prefer Monroes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I brought my "Busker's heads" friends to Monroe's one Saturday nignt in order to broaden their horizons. they were whinging about it. If it's not the Front Door, Buskers or The Dail they will be whinging so screw them. let them off in their boring little world...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I have to say I really enjoyed the few times I've been in monroes. The venue itself is pretty cool and well designed. Loads of Seating too so not standing up all night. Good music and friendly local crowd..Not happy about paying in though. It just seems like a late bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

hyperbaby wrote: »
    I brought my "Busker's heads" friends to Monroe's one Saturday nignt in order to broaden their horizons. they were whinging about it. If it's not the Front Door, Buskers or The Dail they will be whinging so screw them. let them off in their boring little world...

Agreed. They are likely to complain if you travel outside their normal orbit.

One good thing about Monroes Live is the size of the venue. If you can corner a space for yourselves, then you can be masters of your own destiny and the night can be of your own making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

Monroes is great for watching the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For Busker heads Monroes would be the only place in the West to have any appeal, imo.
    If not, it's not to far to cross the river again.
    http://www.monroes.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

dapto1 wrote: »
    Monroes is great for watching the football.

+1

Agreed. They are likely to complain if you travel outside their normal orbit.

One good thing about Monroes Live is the size of the venue. If you can corner a space for yourselves, then you can be masters of your own destiny and the night can be of your own making.

I thought it would be a safe bet but oh no they thought it was crap.
    don't know what difference it makes these particular people just stand in the one place wherever they go.
    Don't even ask me about the level of whinging was like when they went upstairs in Kelly's one night. Unreal bad...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The upstairs in kelly's IS unreal bad in my opinion. A bit of a dancefloor and 1 small bar and then an entry fee.
    At least upstairs in Monroe's there's a good bit of room and alot more seats

it was free in both nights that i was there but possibly we went in before 12.
    also, i like it but it is way too small...

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭extraice

you can fine out who play there on there west site and westendgalway.com site aswell there on FB

hyperbaby wrote: »
    I thought it would be a safe bet but oh no they thought it was crap.
    don't know what difference it makes these particular people just stand in the one place wherever they go.
    Don't even ask me about the level of whinging was like when they went upstairs in Kelly's one night. Unreal bad...

So it's not just me experiencing this horror! I have actually heard people referring to Buskers lane as a venue in itself?:eek: I seriously struggle to see the appeal of that place. Monroes it is I think.. couldn't face a whole night of being squished sardines style into a dive, staring at those worn out faces of yesteryear ;), wishing away the minutes.

Advertisement