Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[PR] Garda seek owners of unclaimed property

• 09-11-2010 5:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,501 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.garda.ie/Controller.aspx?Page=6363&Lang=1
    Garda seek owners of unclaimed property

An Garda Síochána are beginning a pilot scheme that will allow members of the public to view on-line photographs of property, in Garda possession, that have yet to be claimed.

The initial rollout of the scheme sees a selection of items from the following Garda locations

Shankhill (covering Dundrum/Blackrock/Stepaside/Dun Laoghaire/Dalkey/Shankhill/Kill O' Grange and Cabinteely Garda stations)

Store Street (covering Fitzgibbon Street, Mountjoy and Bridewell Garda Stations)

Athlone

Terenure

Follow the links below to view unclaimed property

Bikes in Garda Possession http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157625091734993/

Other Property in Garda Possession http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/sets/72157625289610016/

If a member of the public sees an item they believe may be their property, they should make contact with the appropriate station (as listed in the photograph's description) to arrange a viewing.

If you have lost property not listed in the photographs, please contact your local Garda station to ascertain if it has been handed over to them

Contact details for all Garda stations are available on the www.garda.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

\o/ christmas shopping sorted :D

seriously - the sisters bike to work was nicked :(

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Not a set of drop-bars amongst them - possibly the thieves don't like them, or their owners are typically more careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Dibs on the klondyke python full suss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Beasty wrote: »
    Not a set of drop-bars amongst them - possibly the thieves don't like them, or their owners are typically more careful

....or there are a million BSOs sold for every proper bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

A wheelchair:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

What I find amazing looking at those photos is that a lot of the bikes still have the locks attached, so obviously were never used, no wonder the bikes were stolen!

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

there's a nice spesh cross in green and surely someone reported the tandem missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Undercover Elephant

poochiem wrote: »
    surely someone reported the tandem missing?

My thoughts exactly. Just before "why would anyone steal it in the first place".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Hey, didn't someone post back a few months back saying they had one of these stolen? Where is that thread, hmmm:

5139668676_33ed85f681.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Beasty wrote: »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gardasiochana/5160437871/in/set-72157625091734993/

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,702 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

That (along with 8 others, including the tandem) has been uploaded since I made my post;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Hey, didn't someone post back a few months back saying they had one of these stolen? Where is that thread, hmmm:

5139668676_33ed85f681.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056036569

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

That was me! I had a look at the photo but mine didn't have a stand. I will go to see it at the station anyway because it had some distinguishing marks (namely where the basket was on the handlebars). I hope some people are re-united with their bikes because of this scheme. I've sent the link to a friend whose bike was also stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Someone should inform the Gardai of the correct side to photograph bikes. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I had a Tricross fixed stolen in June but not that one unfortunately, my one was a bigger frame, Brooks saddle, SPD pedals, wider tyres and with rack and mudguards.

tricross_rack.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

boosh_fan wrote: »
    That was me! I had a look at the photo but mine didn't have a stand. I will go to see it at the station anyway because it had some distinguishing marks (namely where the basket was on the handlebars). I hope some people are re-united with their bikes because of this scheme. I've sent the link to a friend whose bike was also stolen.

I swear I can see one of those little yellow flower stickers you have in your photo right at the edge of the Gardai picture, let us know if it happens to be yours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Ant

In general, I'm not a fan of the guards but credit where credit is due to the guards who took this initiative and made the effort to re-unite owners with their stolen property.

@blorg: As a happy owner of a 2008 Singlecross, I'd always spot one on the street. I'll keep an eye out for any with Brooks saddle and/or SPD pedals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Ant wrote: »
    credit where credit is due to the guards who took this initiative and made the effort to re-unite owners with their stolen property.
    Yes, nice to see a bit of fresh thinking and use of the internet to re-unite people with their property.
    Someone give this public servant a performance related bonus! Oh wait, that's not how it works...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Cabaal wrote: »
    I swear I can see one of those little yellow flower stickers you have in your photo right at the edge of the Gardai picture, let us know if it happens to be yours

Are you talking about yellow stickers on the stem? Those are info stickers for the adjustable stem...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Might make an offer for the wheelchair! :)

What happens if they don't get anyone to collect the bikes or the other items?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,143 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

yop wrote: »
    Might make an offer for the wheelchair! :)

I can't imagine the original owner will come running for it.

Dah-dum, tish!

(sorry)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lumen wrote: »
    I can't imagine the original owner will come running for it.

Dah-dum, tish!

(sorry)

Get your coat, go on, get out :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

boosh_fan wrote: »

Thieves are generally careful to remove and add accessories to stolen bicycles to make them look less like the original.

A few years ago, I had a Trek 1000 (with quite distinctive straight handlebars) stolen and then a few months later, while I was out walking, someone on a trek 1000 (same year model as mine, with straight handlebars) approached me and asked for directions. Was very weird. I gave the bike a quick visual once over, and noticed it had different wheels from mine, and there was no rack on the bike (I had added one to mine before it was stolen)... but there were scratchs along the top tube similar to ones I remember mine having, in addition to the unusual straight handlebars. Obviously, I couldn't say anything to the man on the bike (though he came across as a scobe) cause frankly I had nothing to go on other than my own suspicions. I am pretty sure it was mine (well, 60-70%) but had to let him cycle off.

Since then, I have made a note of the serial number of every bike I have owned.

Advertisement