Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why aren't any football players 15-16 stone or more?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Every Premiership team should be made play one fat middle aged defender with a beer belly who's a dirty cynical bastard like you see in club GAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭frantic190

You obviously never have seen Philly Hughes :pac: He may be big but he is a quality player.

INPHO_00463053.jpg

INPHO_00206412.jpg

451065.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

He has too much hair. And he doesn't have his three sons, his grandson and two nephews making up the forward line.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Frisbee wrote: »
    Atm the top rusher in the NFL has rushed for 896 yards overall after 8 games.

The top receiver has 878 in 8 games.

Jesus, thought NFL was more free flowing that that. Basketball it is so for American sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Junior Agogo ftw.
    _44401362_agogobarechest_ap300.jpgjunior%20agogo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

RasTa wrote: »
    Would NFL not be a better example?

I was also thinking NFL (sports) but I declined to use it in case someone would miss the point and start talking about linemen, and how they couldn't last in football. You get me?!

I think basketball is probably a closer match to football in terms of the fitness required. IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭#15

But are there any fat basketball players at the top?

I don't think they are more bulked then your average footballer.

No, I can't think of any genuinely fat players. But there lots of players who carry significant amounts of muscle (weight) and would probably still beat a footballer in terms of speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    Congratulations OP, you answered your own question.

Congratulations, you made the post count in my thread bigger.

Congratulations, and celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

CorkMan wrote: »
    Congratulations, you made the post count in my thread bigger.

Congratulations, and celebrations.
    Stalking me is quite strange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Go to the Phoenix park and you'll see 22 fat lads attempt to play a match most weekends with another 10 even fatter ones yelling instructions!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Anyone know who is/was the heaviest premiership player. Maybe Ruddock or Southall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Within the confines of a 70 minute amateur game. How many Gah players have made it even in the LoI?
    I'm sure many top intercounty GAA players would make it in the LoI if they'd any interest, but so few try its hard to comment.

Obviously Jason Sherlock tried to combine both for a while, but felt that it was negatively impacting on his performances in both, so gave up soccer to concentrate on gaelic.

Dublin footballer Mick Deegan was a regular with Crusaders for a couple of years, but he was over 30 at that stage. Brendan Devenny played with Finn Harps a bit, when he took the odd break from Donegal GAA.

I'd be surprised if there was much difference in the level of fitness of top GAA intercounty players and LoI players.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

How many Gah players have made it even in the LoI?

Dave Barry of Cork was quite handy at both gaelic and soccer. I remember that city played against Bayern Munich and he played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Adebayo Akinfenwa has to be at the very least 16 stonnes. I suspect he's a lot heavier than that regardless of what his 'official' weight is.

Steve Fletcher down at Bournemouth was a tank too. Looked more like a rugby player than a footballer.

Southend had a 40 year old Rob Newman at the back in the early part of the last decade and he was big lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

I'm sure many top intercounty GAA players would make it in the LoI if they'd any interest, but so few try its hard to comment.

'If they had an interest'... :D

If they are good enough to make it as professional footballers, they wouldn't be intercounty Gah players....
    Obviously Jason Sherlock tried to combine both for a while, but felt that it was negatively impacting on his performances in both, so gave up soccer to concentrate on gaelic.

He is the only one I can think of - and he hardly set the world alight at football.
    I'd be surprised if there was much difference in the level of fitness of top GAA intercounty players and LoI players.

UL did a study on this. LoI pro's were a long way ahead of intercounty gaelic players in terms of aerobic fitness. Professionals v amateurs, 90 mins v 70, 40competitive games a season versus 5.

• Advertisement

kakee wrote: »
    Dave Barry of Cork was quite handy at both gaelic and soccer. I remember that city played against Bayern Munich and he played well.

He was a LoI player that played a bit of Gah though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

It's pretty simple really, a 16 stone defender against a agile/quick striker, he might man handle him yes, but probably eventually either get sent off or have the ball simply knocked around him and burned for pace constantly. In football even the big guys need to be agile and have a bit of pace. It's more a sport for body toning and conditioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

UL did a study on this. LoI pro's were a long way ahead of intercounty gaelic players in terms of aerobic fitness. Professionals v amateurs, 90 mins v 70, 40competitive games a season versus 5.

Do you have a link to that study?
    I think it would make interesting reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Mrmoe wrote: »
    The main difference is in upperbody strength which isn't necessarily as important in soccer. A better comparison would be comparing rugby backs and footballers.

Studies show that footballers' backs generally have more tattoos; Stephen Ireland for example.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    Do you have a link to that study?
    I think it would make interesting reading.

Can't immediatly find it, will have a proper root later.

In short, they compared LoI football, Inter county gaelic, hurling, AIL rugby and whatever the top hockey league is. 25 players from each.

Footballers were fittest
    Rugby strongest
    Hurlers most supple
    Gaelic players didn't top any of the charts but were best on average

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

No brainer really.

Anyone with a good lung and a good engine will destroy anyone with a bulk of muscle. Footie is about contact sometimes. Footie is about running fitness most of the time.

Look at Marko Marin. He makes Luka Modric look like the Incredible Hulk and yet he is a German international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Can't immediatly find it, will have a proper root later.

In short, they compared LoI football, Inter county gaelic, hurling, AIL rugby and whatever the top hockey league is. 25 players from each.

Footballers were fittest
    Rugby strongest
    Hurlers most supple
    Gaelic players didn't top any of the charts but were best on average

Makes sense, but would be good to see that data. There was an interview I heard recently where some fitness tests needed a 12 minute session to get results, but for rugby they had to lower the time as even Pro players don't go for more than 6 minutes without a short break during games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭The Rooster

'If they had an interest'... :D

If they are good enough to make it as professional footballers, they wouldn't be intercounty Gah players....

Wow, I didnt realise that the gaelic players playing in front of 80,000 spectators during the summer are doing it because they are not good enough to play League of Ireland! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Wow, I didnt realise that the gaelic players playing in front of 80,000 spectators during the summer are doing it because they are not good enough to play League of Ireland! :o

They're not good enough Rooster and you know it- stop trolling. This issue has been covered comprehensively in the past and studies show that LofI players have better fitness than the inter-county Gaa players. Plus, many inter-county don't even possess basic footballing skills, a fact which is acknowledged by the top Gaa pundits on the Sunday Game.

No, any Gah player who was good enough to make it as a pro footballer would have done so. The level is irrelevant.

Advertisement