Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

my state savings secure if Ireland goes belly up?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 7:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭

If the country were to go insolvent (as many reporters say it will) and the IMF were to come in...would my An Post Saving Certs still be secure?

Or should i pull out and send my money elsewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

It cannot be stated for sure in the current climate.

Remember the old adage: "there is no such thing as a 100% secure investment".

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

As per my reply in the other thread yesterday...
    dotsman wrote: »
    You're money is perfectly safe in the Irish banks.

The whole issue of EU/IMF involvement is regarding the massive budget deficit (the cost of funding the public sector and social welfare bill etc vs tax receipts) and nothing to do with bank deposits.

We are a part of the Euro. Should we revert back to the punt, then yes - transfer your money to a euro account, but until that day happens, the banks are perfectly safe.

Perhaps we need a sticky on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Shinto wrote: »
    If the country were to go insolvent (as many reporters say it will) and the IMF were to come in...would my An Post Saving Certs still be secure?

Or should i pull out and send my money elsewhere?

State Savings are used to fund the national debt. The bond market imply a 70% chance of an Irish default. If Ireland defaults then all holders of Irish debt will need to take a haircut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

dotsman wrote: »
    As per my reply in the other thread yesterday...

Perhaps we need a sticky on this.

I guess you have never heard the mantra that "there is no such as a sure thing"?

Advertisement