Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your sleeping pattern?

• 09-11-2010 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭

As the title says, what is your sleeping pattern?

What time do you sleep, and what time do you wake up, and why is it like that?

Myself, ever since I lost my old job, my sleeping pattern has been destroyed, it infact, no longer even represents a sleeping pattern if I'm honest.

When I was working, I used to be asleep by 1-2am at the very latest, but now I find myself not being bothered with sleep, and suddenly feeling very awake when it comes to nighttime, about 12-1am, something kicks in, and I get a sudden boost of energy and the will to stay awake.

I have started sleeping at about 6-7, and then getting up at 11-12, which honestly can't be good for me.

Today, however is an odd one, as it is 8.30, and I am still awake :o.

As we are mainly Nocs here, I shan't be expecting too many votes for early sleepers :P

What time do you try and be asleep for? 53 votes

9-10pm
    0% 0 votes
    10-11pm
    1% 1 vote
    11-12am
    1% 1 vote
    12-1am
    15% 8 votes
    1-2am
    32% 17 votes
    2-3am
    22% 12 votes
    3-4am
    11% 6 votes
    4am Onwards and thereabouts ¬_¬
    15% 8 votes

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 51,840 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

I'd try and be asleep for around 11pm. Wake up at around 6:45, which gives me time to adjust to consciousness, have some breakfast and drive into work.

At the weekend, it really depends what I'm doing for the weekend. If I'm sat in watching DVDs at my place, it could be around 4am before I'd head to bed.

I prefer to stay up late and get up late the next day, but sadly the job doesn't allow for me to get into that routine.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Go to bed early, wake up early, which can be pretty crap when you've nothing better to do with your time like me. :o I'd love to be able to not fall asleep until 2am or something but when 11pm hits I just have an urge to hit the bed. I hate being up at about 9am and twiddling my thumbs all morning! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

I go to bed around 10 am. I get up around 6 on average. Some days the numbers shift either way. Really depends on what needs doing to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I don't have a routine as such because I'm only in college 3 days a week. On those days I'm up at around 7am so the night before I'll aim to be asleep by around 12 (although it's usually closer to 1am by the time I fall asleep). I also work early on Saturday mornings so it's the same then.

But the nigths when I don't have anything to be up for the next day I could be awake til all hours. Sometimes I don't go to bed til 5am and will get up around 12noon/1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

koth wrote: »
    I prefer to stay up late and get up late the next day, but sadly the job doesn't allow for me to get into that routine.

This is pretty much the way I've always been. I've never been a morning person. Sadly work makes me get up early :( It's somewhat different now though.

For the last year my sleep pattern has been all over the place. Many a sleepless night. Been trying to get to bed early to try rectify the problem. Going to bed at around 11pm during the week and maybe 2am at weekends(if I'm staying in, could be 4/5am if I'm on a night out). I used to stay up a lot later. It's not been totally successful though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I only need about 6 hours so on a school night it's hoping to be alseep by 2 and and weekends it could be 4/5 but thats average and not when the insomina fairy has been stalking me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Most nights I try to be in bed by 12:30/1am so I can get enough sleep for college, as I travel from Dublin to Carlow every morning, and back in the evening. Two of those days though I'm up at 6am, so lots of sleep needed...and I normally dont wake up/cannot think properly until 12pm:p

Weekends...I like to stay up later if not doing college work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Thats a hell of a day man...

Sleep by....well, now....then up at 9ish.

If i cant sleep, ill read or come on here....albeit lately its been more of the former and less of the latter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Pter wrote: »
    Thats a hell of a day man...

Sleep by....well, now....then up at 9ish.

If i cant sleep, ill read or come on here....albeit lately its been more of the former and less of the latter.
    Yeah, it's not all days though, sometimes I get to sleep about now, but others are tougher, insomnia does have it's upsides though!

Lot's of peace and quiet :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Well depends if I'm in college/work.

Seeing as I'm currently out of both I know my sleeping pattern shall return to trying to get to sleep at 4am or further on.

There were many nights I was still awake by 9am the next day.....becoming a slight zombie!

Tonight and tomorrow I shall have to be in bed early due to things needing done in morning. But after that...it shall be back to late nights for me! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

I try to be asleep by 12 or so, but don't succeed. I go through stages of not being able to sleep til the wee hours, and it lasts for a few weeks. Then suddenly, boom, I sleep like the dead for a week.

I love sleeping....

I no longer appear to be able to sleep before 3am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

If left to my own devices, I'd go to bed around 3am and get up at 12. I'm a full time research student though, and my PhD supervisor likes the whole 9-5 thing.

In a few months I'll have all my data and I'll start writing up my thesis; by then I'll be working from home a lot more and I can work to my own schedule. That's why I've just joined this forum too, tbh :o I'll need some company!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

I get to bed for about 10 as i have to get up at 5 am, might make me a vanilla (well thats description ive been reading lately anyways) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

I try and be asleep before 3am but it's often later than that. I get up around 11 or midday. I don't begin work until 3pm so it suits fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I wish I had one... my sleeping pattern is all over the place.

Last weekend I went to bed at 1am on friday and slept till 1pm. So on Sat night went to bed at 11pm and still slept till 1pm - 14 hours straight in a row.

I can sleep for 14 hours straight, have a few normal nights, and then might not sleep for 2/3 nights. Very annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

There was a point - around fifth an sixth year of secondary school - where I would be in bed anywhere from 3-5am, getting up at 7.40, and I was perfectly fine, but with college, the usual is around 1.00am, getting up anywhere from 8.00-10.30, depending on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

generally about 1am, 2-3am on fri & sat nights....I particularly enjoy having a few glasses of wine & writing rude limericks in AH....:D Takes allsorts I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

My sleep pattern is non existant these days. It's gotten to the stage where i just grab a few hours whenever i can. Actually had a decent enough sleep last night for the 1st time in months, so i imagine i'm gonna be awake now for a few nights with no sleep.

So i thought i'd come back and visit this forum :D

I couldnt go to sleep last night. I knew something was bothering me but i couldnt figure it out. I systematically went through every aspect of my life and every relationship i have to try and figure it out. Then i remembered i missed dinner and was hungry. A pack of biscuits later and 4 hours sleep was mine before i got up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement