Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prowlers - New wave discovered by surfers

Options
  • 09-11-2010 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/1109/1224282943520.html

Aileen’s, the perfect wave break at the base of the Cliffs of Moher that exploded on to the world’s surfing radar in recent years, now has a new rival as Ireland’s most spectacular surf spot.

The latest wave, dubbed “Prowlers” by the hardy crew of Irish, British and South African surfers who first ventured out on it yesterday, breaks on an undersea reef about 2km (1.2 miles) off the west coast. While they are refusing to disclose its exact location, the surfers, including Andrew Cotton, reveal they have been waiting five years for the type of conditions required to surf it.

These materialised when the massive swell generated by Hurricane Tomas slammed into Ireland yesterday, creating intensely heavy, tubing waves with 12-15m (40-50ft) faces.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Intimidating... Any idea where it is, generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Looks impressive. The name sucks :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

mvpr wrote: »

Only a Dub would ask that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 andykells

mvpr wrote: »

Yeah it 2km off the west coast

andykells wrote: »

Its not like Im going to turn around and start surfing it! Just curious.

• Advertisement

Lets keep it at that shall we. Have respect for the surfers and the wave and the sheer amazement of this skill.

NickDrake wrote: »
    Lets keep it at that shall we. Have respect for the surfers and the wave and the sheer amazement of this skill.

I wasnt looking for directions mate.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,240 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Heard thats a lie to throw people off! :) Supposedly they've been waiting years for the right conditions for it to work?

Don't think a wave like that would ever get all that crowded anyway tbh.

Hell of a day for surf yesterday, anyone down at a certain break in mayo that was going off yesterday? Savage stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 partybarnacles

this has just been stuck up on Vimeo.
    i had to see that baby rolling before i could fully come to grips with that photo.
    http://vimeo.com/16654366

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

this has just been stuck up on Vimeo.
    i had to see that baby rolling before i could fully come to grips with that photo.
    http://vimeo.com/16654366

That video is now password protected. Anyone got the password?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 foldup

any chance you can give us the password to that vid?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I heard the wave is somewhere around Mace Head in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

On the radio this evening one of the surfers said it was a mile off the coast of Sligo and Donegal, and that anyone who knows the area would know it.

Considering the reef was only 6ft below the surface during the hurricane swell of over 20ft, it must be a rock that's 14ft out of the water during normal conditions.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,240 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

lukejr wrote: »

Considering the reef was only 6ft below the surface during the hurricane swell of over 20ft, it must be a rock that's 14ft out of the water during normal conditions.

don't think swell effects the water level like that....maybe the spring tide had something to do with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭lukejr

I suppose there is always a swell of some degree. Local fishermen will know it so location will get out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭matc66

Sounds like it was off Mullaghmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Ispin

I'm not a surfer, fantastic photo on the times though. I can't understand what the deal with the secrecy of the location is though, it's not as if they're going to be queuing up for a go. Also I'd love to see a video of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Sham Squire

What's the point in posting a link to a video that needs a password unless you're gonna post the password??

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

NickDrake wrote: »

I just started surfing. Do you know where it is, I might give it a go at the weekend. Should I wear gloves and boots is the water cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

lamai wrote: »
    I just started surfing. Do you know where it is, I might give it a go at the weekend. Should I wear gloves and boots is the water cold?

Not at all. This wave is fed by a tropical storm so it will be quite balmy out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Mickeroo wrote: »
    don't think swell effects the water level like that....maybe the spring tide had something to do with it though.

Swell would effect the water level ...have you ever heard of a rouge wave!!

i think its to do with multipel waves in a certain sine wave matching up..

also hurricane tomas was on the other side of the atlantic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Jomob

Dunno what this secrecy bollox is all about. beginners will hardly be flocking there and those good enought to surf it will know where it is anyway. Its somewhere near mullaghmore

http://www.surfaroundireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭AnonymousPrime

Jomob wrote: »
    Dunno what this secrecy bollox is all about. beginners will hardly be flocking there and those good enought to surf it will know where it is anyway. Its somewhere near mullaghmore

http://www.surfaroundireland.com/

I don't think they are keeping it secret to ward off you.
    Why do you think it is somewhere near mullaghmore?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

the forum charter reads:
    No trolling
    That means don't set out to get a rise out of other users.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

On the radio this evening one of the surfers said it was a mile off the coast of Sligo and Donegal, and that anyone who knows the area would know it.

I think you're misunderstanding what a swell means - here it doesn't mean the water sits 20ft higher than normal height, just that the highs and lows are 20ft as the peaks and troughs occur, so it doesn't mean that the rock would be 14ft out of the water.

"A swell, in the context of an ocean, sea or lake, is a formation of long-wavelength surface waves. "

I agree it seems to be near Donegal from one of the videos on Youtube's comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I don't think they are keeping it secret to ward off you.
    Why do you think it is somewhere near mullaghmore?

Cotton claims he saw the wave while in the helicopter getting rescued from the accident at mullaghmore a few years back...

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭keryl

Mickeroo wrote: »

Hell of a day for surf yesterday, anyone down at a certain break in mayo that was going off yesterday? Savage stuff!

You can't beat it.

Ispin wrote: »
    I'm not a surfer, fantastic photo on the times though. I can't understand what the deal with the secrecy of the location is though, it's not as if they're going to be queuing up for a go. Also I'd love to see a video of it.
    lamai wrote: »

Since you are not a surfer. And the other just started, I will explain my comment so.

It is about respecting the wave and not publishing where it is on the internet. If you are not going to surf it, then why are you asking where it is.??

People like ye might end up going out on a boat to see it in action someday. Not understanding movements of water etc and end up gettin dragged into it.

Believe me it has happened in the other big wave spots in Ireland and elsewhere. People have gotten injured. I know one who is just out of hospital for driving his jetski over a big Irish wave. Messed it all up. He had heard about the wave on the internet. He was not Irish.

It is about respect so stop asking for the exact location on the internet. Go and find out yourself through word of mouth etc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭locomo

I suppose there is always a swell of some degree. Local fishermen will know it so location will get out soon.

Its off the coast of Sligo. Its well known among local fishermen, boat people etc. Its a mile and a half out, and does not happen very often, so the chances of beginners going out there is fairly slim. Still, its probably best to keep the exact location off Sligo secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

There will be more waves of this sort found off the Irish Coast. I have seen several very nice looking waves off the west coast of Galway that look worthy of investigation. However I am not a very good surfer, so will probably leave it to others, but I do know that some local surfers have surfed many spots that I've seen.
    Lets just hope that we all get to see nice video footage and pics of these sorts of spots, without the need to know their exact location.

Advertisement