Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did you wash newborn clothes before wearing?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi, I am just wondering if its really nessesary to wash the clothes I have bought for my baby- due after Christmas.

Most are not in packages, just on the hanger types from next, dunnes etc.

I think its a shame to, as they are all lovely and soft as they are.

What are you doing?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I never did, never even thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 limerick_lady

Yea, I washed anything in packets, i.e. vests and babygrows. Figured they'd be closest to baby's skin. I just wasn't convinced about all the chemicals that could have been in them when they're new.

I used non-bio (from Aldi but Fairy do a version that's in all supermarkets) to be extra careful on the wee ones skin! and some softner too!

But maybe I was just a typical over-organised and over-protective first-time expecting mom...the wee lad (13months) is now lucky to have clean clothes on at all!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I used non-bio (from Aldi but Fairy do a version that's in all supermarkets) to be extra careful on the wee ones skin! and some softner too!

;)

Persil non bio is good too, but i use fairy now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Yes, wash all new baby clothes prior to use.

Some of the more expensive lines may already say this is done, it's in the tiny fine print, or it used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean3y

Thanks so much. I have eight weeks to go, I might be a bit a like Limerick lady- too organised. Am I too early doing in today ☺ I just want as much ready as poss. I have had a few complications.. so fear I might go early.
    It seems such a shame to wash them.. I ruin most washes as it is ☺☺☺

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I did wash mine before James was born but I soon stopped with new stuff. His skin was never sensitive. I dont think I'd bother if I had to do it again.

It's up to yourself.

A tip for not ruining washes, wash everything at 40 degrees or lower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I washed the stuff I needed for the hospital. Turns out me and baby were in longer than the 3 days I expected so I ended up having to use stuff straight from the packets. Made absolutely no difference whatsoever, don't put yourself through the hardship of it all would be my two cents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean3y

Thank you! Maybe i'll just do the a few items.
    I wash almost everything at 30 degrees these days! ☺

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

we didn't bother either:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ah no, I want them to look all nice and new when I put them on him/her.. I've never heard of people doing this before.. Any friends I've seen with new babies always put the clothes straight on them..

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

xzanti wrote: »
    Ah no, I want them to look all nice and new when I put them on him/her.. I've never heard of people doing this before.. Any friends I've seen with new babies always put the clothes straight on them..

:confused:
    I never heard of it all before either, till I was preg on my first. I wouldn't mind, I washed them all in normal Bold and was then told it had to be non bio. You can't be keeping up with it all! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Butterflylove

I probably will as I suffered with extremely sensitive skin when I was a child I broke out in a rash only the other day from my favorite bubble bath,

My mother had to the same for me when I was born I have a reaction to certain washing powder etc,

I will stick with a small amount to keep me covered for a few days till I find out if I have a big or small baby wouldnt want to wash something and not be able to return it if it was too small/big etc,

Advertisement