Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a CBT psychologist

Options
  • 09-11-2010 10:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a CBT psychologist. I was at my GP last Christmas as I thought I was suffering from depression and he said he didn't think I was but suggested I go talk to a psychologist. However I never did. I should point out that I'm from the north and my GP is in the north.

Went back to my GP a few weeks ago for a bit of a check-up as I thought I was getting heart palpitations the odd time. I'm also pretty sure I'm suffering from anxiety/stress brought on by work and just things in general. I've always been a worrier. Anyway my blood pressure was high as well which I think may be related to the general anxiety and stress.

Anyway I'm going back to my GP on Thursday to give him my blood pressure readings (they gave me a b/p monitor and asked me to record the readings for a period of about 10 days). When I seen him last he said he thinks CBT would help me and he is considering giving me beta-blockers.

There would be a possibility for me to get a referral to a CBT psychologist in the north however I work in Dublin so taking one day off per week or working from home one day per week could be awkward in my job. It's definitely possible to work from home in my job, but I don't think my manager would be too happy about it, especially seeing my contract is up soon.

I'm just wondering where I could find a suitable CBT psychologist in Dublin? I live in South county Dublin so someone in the Dublin 18 area would be suitable, or somewhere like Dundrum.

I think boards have a rule where people can't recommend specific doctors and such, but I was wondering where can I find a list of suitably qualified CBT psychologists? Also, do these appointments cost money? I know I need to go speak to one but I don't really want to be spending hundred of euro a month as I assume with these things, you have an appointment every week.

Thanks.

Comments

Advertisement