Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac food recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

I see Lidl are featuring gluten free products in todays "specials".

I got "pure bred" hot cross buns in tesco, v nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

bluewolf wrote: »

I was eyeingh up M&S hot cross buns but didn't buy them :D

Have recently tried Mccambridge gluten free soda bread very nice.

I got an e mail saying LIDL were doing farmers daughter burgers nationwide for a 2 week special but they had none in my local lidl when i checked.

Also signed up for club cards for tesco and super valu so i can keep track of all my purchases and claim tax back at the end of the year, has anyone done this ? Any expereinces ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭patmac

tossy wrote: »

Also signed up for club cards for tesco and super valu so i can keep track of all my purchases and claim tax back at the end of the year, has anyone done this ? Any expereinces ?
    My wife God bless her collects all my receipts and we get a nice cheque every year from the revenue, also the Dunne Stores club card does the same.

patmac wrote: »
    My wife God bless her collects all my receipts and we get a nice cheque every year from the revenue, also the Dunne Stores club card does the same.

What kind of percentage of spend are you getting back? If i may ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes I had some of them too. They are actually nicer and bigger than the M&S one's as well as better value.
    I was eyeingh up M&S hot cross buns but didn't buy them :D
    They are nice but the Pure Bread ones are nicer.

Have recently tried Mccambridge gluten free soda bread very nice.

I got an e mail saying LIDL were doing farmers daughter burgers nationwide for a 2 week special but they had none in my local lidl when i checked.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

patmac wrote: »

I gave up claiming on that scheme. As far as I remember the scheme only covers a list of particular GF foods and if I don't buy those then they don't refund the cost. I don't buy them because they are far too expensive and don't taste particularly nice, so I bake and cook everything myself. I haven't seen the list for many a year so maybe its changed now. Last I heard they had trimmed it down a lot. Has anyone got a link to more information on this, or at least the list?

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I gave up claiming on that scheme. As far as I remember the scheme only covers a list of particular GF foods and if I don't buy those then they don't refund the cost. I don't buy them because they are far too expensive and don't taste particularly nice, so I bake and cook everything myself. I haven't seen the list for many a year so maybe its changed now. Last I heard they had trimmed it down a lot. Has anyone got a link to more information on this, or at least the list?

I didn't realise there was a set list of foods covered, i was under the impression it was any food that wasn't normally gluten free and had to be made in a gluten free variety,

I didn't realise there was a set list of foods covered, i was under the impression it was any food that wasn't normally gluten free and had to be made in a gluten free variety,

I used to claim in the old days when you could only buy GF foods in a chemist. That's laughable now but I used to have to order my bread in the chemist and then return a day or two later to collect it! The chemist gave me a copy of the list at the time. Those brands were just awful. The scheme was started for Coeliacs, that means only those people whose body is damaged by normal foods like bread and flour which are our staple foods. The Coeliac Society campaigned for it. Let me know if you have discovered otherwise, I'd love to know that I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Yes. Any food that is made to be GF specifically. So while some folk cook as much from scratch as possible, myself included, there are items that I claim for. More than you might think.

I keep all receipts, mark the GF items, put them in an envelope, month by month, and I also keep a spreadsheet with items, date, shop. You get back nearly half of what you spend, so definitely worth it. I don't bother with the list that the supermarkets send out, as my list is more accurate.
    Keep receipts for 5 years in case of audit. There's nothing to it really.

• Advertisement

I used to claim in the old days when you could only buy GF foods in a chemist. That's laughable now but I used to have to order my bread in the chemist and then return a day or two later to collect it! The chemist gave me a copy of the list at the time. Those brands were just awful. The scheme was started for Coeliacs, that means only those people whose body is damaged by normal foods like bread and flour which are our staple foods. The Coeliac Society campaigned for it. Let me know if you have discovered otherwise, I'd love to know that I'm wrong.

I was totally unaware of it until i was talking to the dietitian on my last out patient appointment and they told me about it, to keep all my receipts and fill out a med one form at the end of the year.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/health-expenses/special-diet-expenses-for-coeliacs-and-diabetics.aspx
    Yes. Any food that is made to be GF specifically. So while some folk cook as much from scratch as possible, myself included, there are items that I claim for. More than you might think.

I keep all receipts, mark the GF items, put them in an envelope, month by month, and I also keep a spreadsheet with items, date, shop. You get back nearly half of what you spend, so definitely worth it. I don't bother with the list that the supermarkets send out, as my list is more accurate.
    Keep receipts for 5 years in case of audit. There's nothing to it really.

Thanks for that, just downloaded the revenue app and i see it has an option to save receipts as you go which is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭barneyrub

it's 20% you get as tax back on gluten free food.No specific list of foods but I do as poster above and total receipt after shopping and keep then. Do a spreadsheet and give the total to revenue on med 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

barneyrub wrote: »
    it's 20% you get as tax back on gluten free food.No specific list of foods but I do as poster above and total receipt after shopping and keep then. Do a spreadsheet and give the total to revenue on med 1.

Is it 20% across the board or os it based on your tax bracket?

Recently I received €2k of a refund from the Revenue for the last 4 years. I did not submit receipts, offered an estimated value for spend each year on the MED1 and submitted (x4).

Based on the refund and the claimed value I received 40%:confused:

Well it looks like I'm way out of date then. Thanks for the invaluable information, I'll never get back what I've spent over the years but having said that, I haven't spent too much on branded GF foods.

This year I intend on retaining all receipts containing gluten free products and submitting a full and accurate record. By my estimate (based on the certificate of expenditure from both Dunnes & Tesco for 2017), I underestimated the 2017 figure by about €350 so probably underestimated the other years also

jim salter wrote: »
    Is it 20% across the board or os it based on your tax bracket?

Recently I received €2k of a refund from the Revenue for the last 4 years. I did not submit receipts, offered an estimated value for spend each year on the MED1 and submitted (x4).

Based on the refund and the claimed value I received 40%:confused:
    It's at the 20%rate
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/personal-tax-credits-reliefs-and-exemptions/health-and-age/health-expenses/index.aspx

Would you have received other tax back?

Interesting.

I submitted physical forms and received EFT payment with no notification from the Revenue informing me of what the payment was actually for! The assumption was that it was the dietary payment, must check if there is any explanation on My Revenue.

There will be a breakdown if you log into your revenue acc. Should be a new p21 for all the years you claimed for

There will be a breakdown if you log into your revenue acc. Should be a new p21 for all the years you claimed for

I've logged in and had a look around, can't see the document. Will have another look.

Also a question, do you think you could include receipts for eating out also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

tossy wrote:
    Also a question, do you think you could include receipts for eating out also?

No, only shop bought food that is made specifically to be Gluten Free.

I saw Paleo ready meals in Supervalu today labelled as gluten free and dairy free. Would I get a refund for the cost of one of those meals? I seriously doubt it.

I saw Paleo ready meals in Supervalu today labelled as gluten free and dairy free. Would I get a refund for the cost of one of those meals? I seriously doubt it.

I was looking for those a while back and couldn't find any.

I don't get m&s white bread very often, but it's sooo tasty

I don't get m&s white bread very often, but it's sooo tasty

I want to thank you so much for bringing M&S GF bread to my attention.

I also want to damn you to hell for bringing M&S GF bread to my attention. :D

jim salter wrote: »
    I want to thank you so much for bringing M&S GF bread to my attention.

I also want to damn you to hell for bringing M&S GF bread to my attention. :D

Just buy their brown bread it's unreal (the bloomers one), their pancakes are also tasty.

I was in M&S recently and one of the staff noticed i was buying GF bread and commented on it asking was i aware of their full GF range, she took me on a tour of the shop pointing out everything that was GF sausages, sauces, burgers etc - was very impressed.

Just a pity good GF bread in M&S is so expensive. I rarely buy it but now and again I need a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭cobham

Thanks to info from boardsie I found out about Aldi soda bread. Easy to miss it as small tablet, bit smaller than the McCambridges one. 1 99 euro...different texture and slight sweetness. Yes would recommend and will prob also get the McCambridges.

Sad to report that the lovely Don Carlos gluten free pizza is discontinued and also the replacement product that was grim.

How are we to keep up with new stuff? grateful to Boards for info :)

I bought the Free From GF bread this week. Great big hole in the slices to the point that the top crust just fell off. And they are just very small to begin with!

Speaking of pizza if you are eating out and fancy a treat then Da marios Italian restaurant in Celbridge do really good GF pizza, in fact almost everything on their menu is available gluten free - they also have GF beer :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Just back from Tesco and see there own range of gluten free products are 25% off at the minute. Was only a quick run in so didn't look if it was all gluten free products or just their own brand

Advertisement