Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coeliac food recommendations

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭mario84s

tossy wrote: »
    Found a good Beer over christmas also Wicklow wolf Arcadia, very tasty.

Aldi have a good one Brown Bear brand, brewed just outside Newry, Green label, gluten free. €1.99 a 500ml bottle

Apart from claiming back tax, is there any help available for someone who is on a low income and doesn't pay tax?

It is my understanding that 2019 is the last year people can claim tax back for gluten free foods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭Happy4all

mario84s wrote: »
    It is my understanding that 2019 is the last year people can claim tax back for gluten free foods.

Where has this been reported?

Happy4all wrote: »
    Where has this been reported?

I work in Aldi, been telling customers on how to claim the tax back, 1 lady told me she went to actual Revenue office with her letter from GP and that she was told 2019 will be the last year you can make claim for. So I'm assuming in 2020 when you make a claim, that'll be the last one.

I think I'll email Revenue and ask to confirm, will post result as soon as I get a reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I work in Aldi, been telling customers on how to claim the tax back, 1 lady told me she went to actual Revenue office with her letter from GP and that she was told 2019 will be the last year you can make claim for. So I'm assuming in 2020 when you make a claim, that'll be the last one.

I think I'll email Revenue and ask to confirm, will post result as soon as I get a reply.

Please do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I have to say I find gluten free breads generally pretty poor, so I have flipped over to eating a lot more salads, fresh vegetables and do on and I don't touch sandwiches anymore and I just don't try to find gluten alternatives at all.

I just tend to eat things that would be gluten free anyway rather than treating it as a special diet and I've found I'm just eating way better food generally.

Other than it avoids gluten, which would damage my guts, I am enjoying a much better and less processed diet.

I feel much more fit and healthy generally and I think it's more than just eliminating the gut problems. It's also just better food.

Please do.

Sorry for the delay, I finally got info back. It doesn't confirm if this is last year you can claim for, it just gives info we all already know. Below is the reply I got to the question of when and does the tax back finish this year.

Good Morning,

I acknowledge receipt of your email.

Please note that you can claim for Gluten Free Foods on a Med 1 Form under other qualifying expenses, along with this form you will need to supply receipts for the foods and also a letter from your doctor confirming your condition.

Kind Regards

Carmel Smith

Louth Customer Service
    Tel No: 1890 777 425

EdgeCase wrote: »
    I have to say I find gluten free breads generally pretty poor

There is a new one in Aldi, Sourdough gluten free. €2.49 a loaf but boy is it worth it

Sorry for the delay, I finally got info back. It doesn't confirm if this is last year you can claim for, it just gives info we all already know. Below is the reply I got to the question of when and does the tax back finish this year.

Good Morning,

I acknowledge receipt of your email.

Please note that you can claim for Gluten Free Foods on a Med 1 Form under other qualifying expenses, along with this form you will need to supply receipts for the foods and also a letter from your doctor confirming your condition.

Kind Regards

Carmel Smith

Louth Customer Service
    Tel No: 1890 777 425

They need to update their info med 1 form is no longer available. Its now all done under form 12 via the revenue online site.

They need to update their info med 1 form is no longer available. Its now all done under form 12 via the revenue online site.

sounds like it was just a copy and paste job on their behalf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

There is a new one in Aldi, Sourdough gluten free. €2.49 a loaf but boy is it worth it

I seen that in my local Aldi but they had no price for it so I did not buy it yet. Will have to give it a try. I think Lidl have some new gluten free foods in this week.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

AMKC wrote: »
    I seen that in my local Aldi but they had no price for it so I did not buy it yet. Will have to give it a try. I think Lidl have some new gluten free foods in this week.

€2.49, worth every cent. I'll check out Lidl, thanks a lot. I know in Newry in Sainsbury's, their Honest range brown bread was very good too, had same consistency and taste as normal brown bread.

I don't like the aldi one. I take back what i said about kelkin, Genius toastie is the only way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

€2.49, worth every cent. I'll check out Lidl, thanks a lot. I know in Newry in Sainsbury's, their Honest range brown bread was very good too, had same consistency and taste as normal brown bread.

MrsD found this over the weekend too, and is delighted with it.
    The kids are coeliac, and not allowed any seeds or nuts in school. It's been difficult to find a plain white bread that they'll eat, so this is a breakthrough.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    MrsD found this over the weekend too, and is delighted with it.
    The kids are coeliac, and not allowed any seeds or nuts in school. It's been difficult to find a plain white bread that they'll eat, so this is a breakthrough.

I've been buying this bread most days since it first came out and I notice it is getting better and better consistency wise, it really feels like the real deal. doesn't break up like other cardboard breads out there at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I've been buying this bread most days since it first came out and I notice it is getting better and better consistency wise, it really feels like the real deal. doesn't break up like other cardboard breads out there at all.

As the only gluten eater in my house, I've been eating a bit of this lately and gotta agree.
    Most plain white GF bread I've tried are either the consistency of Madiera cake (sponge) , or stale bread(crumbly and/or disintegrates in mouth as soon as you chew).
    I keep meaning to figure out how to bake a reliable gf white loaf, but haven't had much success. Until then this will fill the gap nicely.

DavyD_83 wrote: »
    Until then this will fill the gap nicely.

I'm loving this one toasted. It really has kicked off selling as more and more people are trying it, even non Coeliacs. Recipe has definitely improved over the last 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

The fish nuggets that Lidl had were really nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The fish nuggets that Lidl had were really nice.

I have some in the freezer. Have not tried them yet but did have the fish fillets they had yesterday and that was very nice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I have some in the freezer. Have not tried them yet but did have the fish fillets they had yesterday and that was very nice.

Tried the chicken ones too. Not great at all, very dry, and not a patch on the Birdseye ones I got before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Could I ask a question? Do you think there’s a market for gluten free kids stuff? I’m a coeliac so everything I make is gf, I bake a lot and make most things from scratch

I’m sort of thinking about cakes, kids party catering etc?

Could I ask a question? Do you think there’s a market for gluten free kids stuff? I’m a coeliac so everything I make is gf, I bake a lot and make most things from scratch

I’m sort of thinking about cakes, kids party catering etc?

I work in Aldi, people constantly asking about GF party cakes apart from the usual coffee/lemon/madeira cakes... i'd say you're onto a winner there if you can make something good. unsure of link, but if you have something in mind, google Aldi Grow With Us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I work in Aldi, people constantly asking about GF party cakes apart from the usual coffee/lemon/madeira cakes... i'd say you're onto a winner there if you can make something good. unsure of link, but if you have something in mind, google Aldi Grow With Us

Thank you - I’m a competent baker and rarely have to tell that my cakes are gf as they don’t taste that. I’ll take a look - here’s one of my recent bakes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 143 ✭✭Chocolate

Over on the Coeliac Parents Ireland Facebook page, people are very excited about the new Aldi Sourdough Cob.

I bought it for my two coeliac children today.
    My son loves it. Says it's the most delicious bread yet.
    My daughter claims she doesn't really like it (she decided she didn't like it simply by looking at the packet!) but yet she went back for another slice of it today.

So, it's got the thumbs up in our house!

here’s one of my recent bakes

that looks amazing... i hope you find what you're looking for...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

I found the cob a bit dry. I prefer the M and S one or I adore the Sweet potato loaf from BeFree
    Has anyone tasted the quinoa crust turkey goujons from Aldi, they are so delicious- far and away the best goujons I have ever tasted.
    The most "realistic" soda bread is the McCambridges one- even non-coeliacs didnt realise it was gf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

#tea and coffee, I absolutely agree with you regarding the sourdough cob in Aldi. After reading the great comments here about it I bought it a couple of days ago and its really dry, I had to slather it with butter and jam. Hope you are right about the McCambridges one as I might try it. I get despondent trying all these flippin' breads!

The Mccambridge one is great - it's the one Gf bread i have to warn other people in the house not to eat :D

I actually don't like the cambridge one - has a funny taste to me!
    Tasty parlour farmhouse or soda breads are my favourite as well as Genius Toastie

• Advertisement

Anyone have any suggestions regarding good gluten free craft beers out there?

Advertisement