Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the deal with those red barriers at the Spanish Arch?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

They're an eyesore IMO, don't see what useful function they serve, if it's to keep people from sitting near the edge of the arch it's not particularly effective.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

I think it's to keep people from going near the edge because of the storm warning, which makes it quite dangerous if one were to fall in.

They have been there for weeks/months? now.

For the storm warning the council added posts to keep them in place.

I thought they might have been to keep people off the grass but it doesn't seem to have been for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭dapto1

They have been there for weeks/months? now.

Have they? Shows how much attention I paid when I was last up.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yeah, I'm fairly sure they put them up last year too, to show it's unsafe to go near the edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

There to maintain the exclusivity of the fish club and keep humans out.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

They don't have them in Venice.
    People have managed for decades in that area without falling into the river, health & safety gone too far.

Those pesky swans have been eyeing up the Arch with views of colonisation

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Canute said they'd hold back the tide when he sold them to us. He'd sold them to Ogdenville and North Haverbrook...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Robbo wrote: »
    Canute said they'd hold back the tide when he sold them to us. He'd sold them to Ogdenville and North Haverbrook...

You're fairly milking that episode these days...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

You're fairly milking that episode these days...
    To my mind, they stopped making new ones about 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Robbo wrote: »
    To my mind, they stopped making new ones about 10 years ago

much in agreement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

They put them there the day after a big fight down Spanish Arch. They've been there for 2 months I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    They don't have them in Venice.
    People have managed for decades in that area without falling into the river, health & safety gone too far.

They don't have (many) drunken Irish people in Venice.

I suspect that when the river's very high, it could be easier for someone to misjudge what was river and what was solid ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Most people are stupid and need to be protected from themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

We need to let natural selection take a bigger role in day to day life :D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I do not advocate capital punishment for stupidity, but I think we need to take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem sort itself out...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭rivalius13

biko wrote: »
    I do not advocate capital punishment for stupidity, but I think we need to take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem sort itself out...

Hey, look, Smoking doesn't cause cancer anymore! WOOHOO! -chain smokes until death-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

haha! they have a sign up in meat shop in terryland only over the mince saying "mince must be cooked thoroughly before eating"
    don't ya know some eejit probably didn't cook it fully, got sick and complained to shop about their product!:D

Advertisement