Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco, Cherry tomatoes,60 cent price increase

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

From 99cent a few months ago,to E1.19 and now E1.59...I' hadn't the heart to pay for them, inexcusable theft.

That's Teso own brand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

I use their online shopping service. Things go up over night (not things that were on offer either). Ordered couple of blocks of Wexford cheese at 1.86 as it seemed like good value then was charged 2.79 per unit when the order was processed the next day. Bottle of olive oil shot up 40 cents as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Freiheit wrote: »
    From 99cent a few months ago,to E1.19 and now E1.59...I' hadn't the heart to pay for them, inexcusable theft.

That's Teso own brand.

Fruit and veg prices change depending on season and origin.

Main season for Irish Tomatoes is June to September. This is also when prices are lowest.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

Tesco executives have been quoted naming Ireland "Treasure Island". They refuse to disclose their profits here even though they do it in all other jurisdictions.

It may be a case of seasonal adjustments due to sourcing of products however be assured that you are paying a premium while shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If Tesco is such a rip-off why do people keep shopping there? It is possible to be ripped off once, but if you keep going there then you can't really complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

That's Teso own brand.

I ended up in Dunnes Stores buying the tomatoes at 1.19 :D

In Tesco today and I know you'll love this - 6 pack of Manhattan popcorn
    (30g bags) 3.05
    Box of Manhattan popcorn not sure if it's 10 or 12 bags in the box (30g bags) 9.99 :D

What a bargain....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mad Benny wrote: »
    Tesco executives have been quoted naming Ireland "Treasure Island". They refuse to disclose their profits here even though they do it in all other jurisdictions.

It may be a case of seasonal adjustments due to sourcing of products however be assured that you are paying a premium while shopping there.

They don't do it in all other regions, and can you tell us what Dunnes profits are on an annual basis, and how they disperse these profits ?

Any links to the Treasure Island quotes ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    They don't do it in all other regions, and can you tell us what Dunnes profits are on an annual basis, and how they disperse these profits ?

Any links to the Treasure Island quotes ?

Taken from the following URL

"Ireland gives supermarket giant Tesco its greatest profits in Europe, according to a new report by UK stockbroker Shore Capital."

Shore Capital is a a London-based investment bank.

http://www.businessandleadership.com/business/item/26446-tesco-profits-greatest-in-i

The following quote is taken from the URL below - it is said in the UK that Ireland is a 'Treasure Island' for Tesco".

http://www.independent.ie/farming/doyle-hits-tesco-on-irish-prices-2412489.html

I heard the 'Treasure Island' quote on a RTE Radio 1 podcast in the past week. I guess a lot of the criticism one hears about Tesco is anecdotal however you can google any of this and you will get plenty of resources.

I don't know about Dunnes and I was commenting about them.

Why the hard line response? Do you work for Tesco?

Add this to the list too
    SUPERMARKET BOSSES may be recalled before an Oireachtas inquiry following revelations about high profit margins in the grocery sector.
    Earlier this week, The Irish Times revealed that Tesco makes profits of about €250 million in the Republic, with margins significantly higher than elsewhere in the group.
    Tesco representatives told the committee the company’s group returns in Ireland were lower than those in Northern Ireland or in the United Kingdom.

So Tesco were telling lies.:eek:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0515/1224246568864.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So in all those links you posted, there's not one quote from a Tesco executive calling Ireland 'Treasure Ireland', correct ?
    Why the hard line response? Do you work for Tesco?

Typical pathetic retort whenever someone doesn't tow the 'Tesco is evil' line around here. I don't work for any large retailer, nor small one for that matter, but I do have past experience of both and am well aware that if I was to choose the evil twin out of Dunnes and Tesco, it wouldn't be Tesco. Hatred and silly claims against Tesco is usually derived from the fact they're English, people really need to look much much close to home if they want to criticise a retailer in such a fashion.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So in all those links you posted, there's not one quote from a Tesco executive calling Ireland 'Treasure Ireland', correct ?

As I said, I heard it on a podcast. If I hear it again I'll post it up for you. ;)

Typical pathetic retort whenever someone doesn't tow the 'Tesco is evil' line around here.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Got the tomatoes in Dunnes for a fair E1.19. Just felt morally I couldn't give E1.59 to Tesco after the 60 cent increase....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Veg thats out of season is always more expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

That's true, but they were 99 cent winter of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have often take a stroll through tesco and found them not to be cheaper than say, supervalu or spar, have never found a bargain there and gave up trying when i found that they were dearer than supervalu and spar in some things

That's true, but they were 99 cent winter of last year.

Jesus ... thats a little bit sad that you remember that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭lau1247

yeah noticed that too.. kinda make you not feeling sorry for tesco on this thread http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056045761

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

looksee wrote: »
    If Tesco is such a rip-off why do people keep shopping there? It is possible to be ripped off once, but if you keep going there then you can't really complain.

People who shop in Tescos are self-flagellating themselves at an altar of the bright and big. Irish people are incapable of changing. They think that 17 different types of tinfoil matters.
    Jesus ... thats a little bit sad that you remember that :D

No, it's the way more people should be, and having to deal with browbeaters like you just makes me proud to hear stories like this. I would dread to think how bad you are at keeping a watch on the changing prices of your weekly shop.

No, it's the way more people should be, and having to deal with browbeaters like you just makes me proud to hear stories like this. I would dread to think how bad you are at keeping a watch on the changing prices of your weekly shop.

Well I would know the price / KW hour of energy last year, or the price / m3 of gas, Interest rates, price of Diesel etc.

I grow my own Cabbage, Tomatoes, Courgettes, Apples, Pears, Rhubarb.

On the other side of the Garden we have rosemary, thyme, basil, lavender to name a few.

We grow enough herbs, but obviously cannot grow enough veg, so anything we do buy we get in a local market from local growers, which works out cheaper /kg than the mainstream chain stores, imo the veg in aldi/lidl is not up to the standard that I would expect (although its a different Aldi here)

However I would not moan about one particular shop/vendor raising its price, I'd just go somewhere else, unless the price was reasonable for the product in question.

we get in a local market from local growers, which works out cheaper /kg than the mainstream chain stores

Good stuff. What part of the country are you in?

Good stuff. What part of the country are you in?

Noord-Brabant, in the Netherlands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Since moving to London I mostly shop in Waitrose (the premium grocery chain) and Morrisons. You can get punnet (250g) of cherry tomatoes in Waitrose for 99p and 79p in morrisons!

They do not put the price up out of season (I buy a punnet or two of cherry tomatoes a week so i'd notice if they did). So why do Tesco in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

eth0_ wrote: »
    They do not put the price up out of season
    Or you could similarly say they do not pass on the reduction when it is in season... It is probably evened out over the year.
    eth0_ wrote: »
    So why do Tesco in Ireland?
    Maybe they give their customers more credit, most supermarkets here do seem to. Maybe in some shops with constant pricing they have found they have ignorant customers moaning about price fluctations customers who cannot grasp the very simple concept of fruit & veg being seasonal products.

If the price is the same all year around I would be far from impressed, I would prefer to buy at the cheaper price when in season, not only should it be cheaper it should usually be better quality and/or tastier. I would not like to have to, in effect, subsidise people buying out of season.

Some have very strong views!
    There has been considerable controversy about how far people should be encouraged to eat seasonal food. In 2008, the chef Gordon Ramsay attracted media coverage when he stated that restaurants should be fined for serving non-seasonal food .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasonal_food

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Why dont ye just contact tesco about this www.tesco.ie/comments and wait for a reply. Now i be honest i work in tesco and i have seen a increase in prices and yes there is a reason why the cherry tomatoes went up if you look at were they bought them in from it more than likely be a different place than dunnes. Did you know that dunnes keep most of there fruit in cold storage and they force ripen some of there fruits now i admit a few years back tesco also did this but have now have a new wherehouse in dublin so now they buy everything direct used to by from keelings dunnes still by from keelings. But people its like this every shop has different prices and different offers dunnes can be dearer than tesco in some products also i have a discount card and i still shop around. I find shopping around is best . Enjoy shopping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

As much as I dislike tesco, mainly for the fact that when they open a new store in a town, many smaller stores are faced with going out of business.......they are a business and will charge what people are willing to pay. We can't really complain about prices and continue to shop there. Shop around because you will generally find things cheaper

I notice that there is a lot of criticism in this forum when somebody identifies a product sold by a retailer that is significantly more expensive than elsewhere.

In my mind this forum should be a way of people highlighting the excessive cost of an item to bring shame on a retailer. This could be considered constructive criticism if it's brought to shoppers and indeed retailers attention.

Responding with an attack is fine if it's not true. Suggesting that people shop elsewhere is stating the obvious.

Not everybody has the time to visit three shops, record the prices and then return to the one that is the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

You do realise they were in season a few months back and aren't now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

As much as I dislike tesco, mainly for the fact that when they open a new store in a town, many smaller stores are faced with going out of business.......they are a business and will charge what people are willing to pay. We can't really complain about prices and continue to shop there. Shop around because you will generally find things cheaper
    Ok you hate tesco because when they open new stores they close small ones down are you telling me that dunnes dont do this and also have you how many jobs tesco have created in ireland and are still creating !! Be relistic its not only tesco that has a affect on small shops aldi lidi super value also does this !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Sababear

i actually know a guy whos family grow the tomatoes for tesco i could ask him , but i get my tomatoes for free fresh from the green house so there wouldnt be a point:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Cherry tomatoes were only invented during the celtic tiger, is that right?

• Advertisement
Advertisement