Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeon

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

4 months ago on a very wet and windy evening a pigeon landed on my wall, i assume its a racing pigeon, it has a red ring on each leg and an orange/yellow on one leg, I can tell the letters GB are on one of the rings. After 3 weeks of it being around and not budging( i hadnt given it any food at this stage) I contacted the RPRA who didnt sem interested in helping, on one hand they said "oh get the numbers on the ring and get back to us" but then ended the email by saying "oh just dont feed it and it'll fly away". I did tell them that i hadnt fed it at this stage and it had been hanging around for the last 3 weeks, but they just insisted that someone maybe a neighbour had and we should stop and leave him to fly away.

Needless to say i was a bit disappointed with their response and the next day i went out and bought some corn and so for the last 3 months i have been feeding it, it's still slightly nervous, although when i go out to the garden it runs up the wall after me looking for food and cooing, he gets on with my german shepherd dog too.

BUT now my dilemma is, the bad weather..............do i build some kind of box for it to shelter in, do i just try to find a local pigeon fancier to take him/her in and would a pigeon fancier even want a pigeon thats been 'out in the wild' for 4 months!!!!!!!! :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,938 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

lizm wrote: »
    4 months ago on a very wet and windy evening a pigeon landed on my wall, i assume its a racing pigeon, it has a red ring on each leg and an orange/yellow on one leg, I can tell the letters GB are on one of the rings. After 3 weeks of it being around and not budging( i hadnt given it any food at this stage) I contacted the RPRA who didnt sem interested in helping, on one hand they said "oh get the numbers on the ring and get back to us" but then ended the email by saying "oh just dont feed it and it'll fly away". I did tell them that i hadnt fed it at this stage and it had been hanging around for the last 3 weeks, but they just insisted that someone maybe a neighbour had and we should stop and leave him to fly away.

Needless to say i was a bit disappointed with their response and the next day i went out and bought some corn and so for the last 3 months i have been feeding it, it's still slightly nervous, although when i go out to the garden it runs up the wall after me looking for food and cooing, he gets on with my german shepherd dog too.

BUT now my dilemma is, the bad weather..............do i build some kind of box for it to shelter in, do i just try to find a local pigeon fancier to take him/her in and would a pigeon fancier even want a pigeon thats been 'out in the wild' for 4 months!!!!!!!! :(

Seems happy enough round at your gaff, nobody else wants it, you've tried contacting the Pigeon People, i'd build it a little Pigeon Palace and keep it

Advertisement