Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Would you bother with 4wd?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 12:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi guys

I have just driven a 2wd version of the new Land Rover Freelander, on a pretty tricky off-road course in Barcelona and it performed really well. Granted, in ice and a muddy field the 4wd version would be better, but the 2wd version now comes in at €29,995 and has lower emissions (158g/km - Band D)

My question is, would you pay more for the 4wd version (€34,995) or would you go for the 2wd version which costs a few quid less.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

My question is, would you pay more for the 4wd version (€34,995) or would you go for the 2wd version which costs a few quid less.

The only reason I'd consider an off-roader is for off-road use, and in Ireland that means mud: I'd definitely want 4WD.

Most off-roaders never go off-road, so it makes sense to sell cheaper 2WD versions to people who like the image, like being high up or imagine jeepy looking things are somehow safer than cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

As above, if I don't need AWD then I don't need a Freelander at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Go for a Subaru Justy as a cheap and cheerful 4WD! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Defender, maybe a Discovery, but never a Freelander for me! Reason? You either need a 4x4 or you don't in my book. If it's only for occasional handiness like pulling a boat up a slipway, then a Subaru Legacy Outback is more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Anan1 wrote: »
    As above, if I don't need AWD then I don't need a Freelander at all.

Yeah, all show no go in FWD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement