Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Rider

• 09-11-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭

So I got my provisional today

So It's time to learn to ride a Bike, but I have a few questions:

I am based in Raheny, Does anyone know of any good Motor Cycle instructors in that areas?

I do not have my own bike yet so I will need the instructor to have their bike for me to use (Do they provide Jackets, Gloves and Helmet etc?)
    How much should I be paying for a lesson?

Next Question is what bike should I go for as my first bike?
    I like the "Race Type" bike but understand that it will probably have to be a 250cc or under (with the possibility of being restricted)

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Kawasaki Ninja 250

Last question,
    Is the restrictor easy to remove? I want to do a few track days on my bike in say maybe 7 or 8 months when I'm confident I can control the bike (But will still be under the restriction for 2 years even if I pass my test)

I don't really see the point in driving around Mondello or Angelsey with a restricted bike.

Regards
    G.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

grahambo wrote: »
    So I got my provisional today

So It's time to learn to ride a Bike, but I have a few questions:

I am based in Raheny, Does anyone know of any good Motor Cycle instructors in that areas? nearest I know of who I'd recommend is peter @ Arron rider training.

I do not have my own bike yet so I will need the instructor to have their bike for me to use (Do they provide Jackets, Gloves and Helmet etc?)
    How much should I be paying for a lesson? €350 is the going rate for the a days training(around 6 hours) and bike hire.

Next Question is what bike should I go for as my first bike?
    I like the "Race Type" bike but understand that it will probably have to be a 250cc or under (with the possibility of being restricted)

I was thinking of something along the lines of a Kawasaki Ninja 250
    Ninja's a good bike, But you may get bored soonish, no harm in getting a 600(once you've done lessons and have a little confidence). First bike I would advise against full fairing as your very likely to drop it at some point, fairing ain't cheap to fix.

Last question,
    Is the restrictor easy to remove? I want to do a few track days on my bike in say maybe 7 or 8 months when I'm confident I can control the bike (But will still be under the restriction for 2 years even if I pass my test)

I don't really see the point in driving around Mondello or Angelsey with a restricted bike.Depends on the bike, most restrictors only effect top speed. so may not be much of an issue. Also I think you need a full licence or a race licence for Track days

Regards
    G.

I would also advise on getting your own gear asap and not to try save money here either, think of what you'd like to be wearing sliding down the road on your arse at 60-70 mph not what looks cool.

Good luck, Keep 'er lit & between the hedges + all those other token biking phrases :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

SV650 is the way to go.

get a pointy version (2003 onwards).

You can get a full powered one, then get a restricted ECU for €50 on ebay, simple plug in job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

hobochris wrote: »
    I would also advise on getting your own gear asap and not to try save money here either, think of what you'd like to be wearing sliding down the road on your arse at 60-70 mph not what looks cool.

Good luck, Keep 'er lit & between the hedges + all those other token biking phrases :D

Thanks for the Info

I dunno if I could handle a 600 for a while yet

So wanna go with something a bit smaller and then get the maybe a 600 next year

Fairing = Plastic cover on the outside right?

What would you suggest as a first bike?

Don't wanna go mad spending money (As you said I will probably drop it)

I will need to get some gear next week (after pay day)

If you need gear get yourself down to Cotters, can't be beaten for prices.

Thanks for the Info

I dunno if I could handle a 600 for a while yet

So wanna go with something a bit smaller and then get the maybe a 600 next year you could do worse then a honda cb400 'superfour', good reliable and manageable bike

Fairing = Plastic cover on the outside right? yup

What would you suggest as a first bike? as Above cb400

Don't wanna go mad spending money (As you said I will probably drop it)
    see link (clean cb400 for 1k)
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/1618614

I will need to get some gear next week (after pay day)

• Advertisement

CB400 is a hell of a bike, had great craic on mine.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    CB400 is a hell of a bike, had great craic on mine.

Had? What you got now?

Had? What you got now?

SV

SV

nice. round or pointy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

on a curvey one myself atm, great first bike imo coming from a cage and a scooter :D

• Advertisement

nice. round or pointy?

Cuuuuuurvy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

beyonce4052.jpg

CURVY

VS

Pointy

VerySkinnyWoman.jpg

this sums it up quite well :D

Nice bike that.

A belly pan would finish it off perfect.

Nice bike that.

A belly pan would finish it off perfect.

it's on the to-do list.

along with black screen and rear hugger (both on the way to me as we speak), tail tidy, progressive fork springs, new rear shock, and a few other bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

You can get a full powered one, then get a restricted ECU for €50 on ebay, simple plug in job.

they wont supply you with a cert to prove its resticted tho will they? alot of insurance companies are askn for a copy of these certs lately.

martydunf wrote: »
    they wont supply you with a cert to prove its resticted tho will they? alot of insurance companies are askn for a copy of these certs lately.

That's a whole other argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

Gaurds can also ask for the restriction cert at checkpoints.

And they can also be asked to show what part of the Road Traffic Act requires you to have a certificate, and to define said certificate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cool. Give me twenty minutes with some Adobe products.

Seriously, if a cop asks you for a restriction cert ask him from which Government approved body should you ask for it from?

There is no legal requirement for a cert, there is no system in place to validate a cert beyond the obvious.

If anybody would like a cert, I'll do you up one this evening. It doesn't matter since it holds no basis in law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭martydunf

Seriously, if a cop asks you for a restriction cert ask him from which Government approved body should you ask for it from?

There is no legal requirement for a cert, there is no system in place to validate a cert beyond the obvious.

If anybody would like a cert, I'll do you up one this evening. It doesn't matter since it holds no basis in law.

So what do you do when your insurance company asks for a copy of the cert and will cancel your policy upon failure to produce it?

TBH though insurance companies arent too well up on bikes that require restrictors, as in the power to weight ratio rule and will still ask for a cert even tho the bike is learner legal due to the secondary rule.

• Advertisement

So what do you do when your insurance company asks for a copy of the cert and will cancel your policy upon failure to produce it?

TBH though insurance companies arent too well up on bikes that require restrictors, as in the power to weight ratio rule and will still ask for a cert even tho the bike is learner legal due to the secondary rule.

Ask them to define what a restrictor cert. is.

As there is no official certificate it's merely a case of typing one up yourself.

I'll write up and send them a cert. Let them define what is and isn't a valid cert.

Here we go,

Certificate of Restriction

Bike:_____
    Registration number:________

I hereby state that this bike is restricted to 33bhp.

Signed.
    Your ma.

HAHAHA

"Your Ma"

Got a quote on a restricted SV650 S.... €1019 from Quinn :(

To high?
    or about right?

Booked a 2 day beginners course with Aaron Motor Cycle training as well

Excitement!!

HAHAHA

"Your Ma"

Got a quote on a restricted SV650 S.... €1019 from Quinn :(

To high?
    or about right?

Booked a 2 day beginners course with Aaron Motor Cycle training as well

Excitement!!

Third party or full comp?

I paid that for first insurance on a bandit 600 when I started.

Third party or full comp?

I paid that for first insurance on a bandit 600 when I started.

Fully Comp

EDIT:

€686 - 3rd Party

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭sleepysniper

So whats to stop a young lad jumping up on a unresticted 600 and drivin away not a bother once its insured? as there seemingly is no way to verify its resticted unless the garda is gona take it for a "spin"...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

So whats to stop a young lad jumping up on a unresticted 600 and drivin away not a bother once its insured? as there seemingly is no way to verify its resticted unless the garda is gona take it for a "spin"...:pac:
    If they have an accident it might be checked out. You'd be uninsured and driving without a licence.

If a Garda Catches you doing 130mph on a Motorway he's gonna know its not restricted

Also

I've been told that the restriction is an EU directive and not actually a law

The Issue is though that the insurance companies will not ensure you on anything great than a 33bhp bike.

So they CAN do you for no insurance.

If the insurance company sends out an assessor and they find the bike is not restricted when it should have been then they will not pay out

I'm paying around €700 fully comp on an SV650, 23 with full licence and 1 years NCB.

• Advertisement

Exactly. What is to stop a young lad hopping on a unrestricted 600cc and driving away? Not a cert because they are meaningless. Not the cops because they simply don't have the man power or time. Not the insurance company because they don't care unless you cost them money instead of paying them money.

Its a matter of trust.

My restriction is a screw and a washer. The last fellow who owned the bike paid 300 euros for a screw, washer and a "cert". I ****ed out the cert a year ago.

Advertisement