Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Composting Issues

Options
  • 09-11-2010 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭

Just started composting the past two months. Im using one of those green cone style bins. I have a few questions i need help with.

1st is the ratio of green to brown. Im thinking i don't have enough browns in the pile, its looking a bit stodgy and smells a bit sometimes. I have loads of kitchen waste going in but im wondering what to balance it with. I don't have much woody clippings but i could get cardboard boxes at the local supermarket so would this suffice or what else could i use? There are plenty of leaves about but i read somewhere to compost those on their own ...

2nd, my bin is not in a sunny spot due to my neighbors bloody Leylandii so is it just going to take longer or will it even work at all?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It will work alright, but will be slower than one out in direct sunshine. Then again that really only applies in the warmer seasons, they will go nearly dormant over the winter.

A general rule of thumb is 1:1. Have read up a lot and you can get all sorts of ratios and ingredients and it can get very technical, but half and half will be grand. For browns, use shredded newspaper. Try not to use full colour pages or glossy paper. I use a 10 euro shredder from Argos and it can reduce a few broadsheets in no time at all.

Be sure to layer the greens and browns. And consider using your own urine as an accelerator. Really, it is great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

make sure you turn it, especially if it is quite damp; i'd suggest leaving the lid off it next time we get a dry spell, as high water content will reduce the amount of oxygen that will be able to get in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

redser7 wrote: »
    It will work alright, but will be slower than one out in direct sunshine. Then again that really only applies in the warmer seasons, they will go nearly dormant over the winter.

Be sure to layer the greens and browns. And consider using your own urine as an accelerator. Really, it is great.

A friend of mine invites his male friends to 'contribute' to his compost activation. Is it true that male urine is preferable to female?

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

GreyEagle wrote: »
    A friend of mine invites his male friends to 'contribute' to his compost activation. Is it true that male urine is preferable to female?

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Yes

Thanks, very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Yes, but only aesthetically. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I *think* female urine is said to be more acidic.

Advertisement