Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Monday
    AM 6k @ 5:34
    PM gym (just some core stuff and back squats)
    6.3 @ 5:57 afterwards

Tuesday
    25 minute tempo

I was pleased with this. Felt (and was) slow on the way from work to Bushy park. Did some drills :eek: when I got there - giving myself time to talk myself into or out of the session, I'm not sure. But once I started, it was completely fine - 4:02, 3:57, 3:55, 3:51, 3:52, and 3:49 for the last bit. More like actual tempo pace than the last few tempo runs, wasn't straining for those times, and honestly felt I could have gone on another lap at the same pace. (looking at the record, my HR was climbing throughout, so maybe not! but it felt doable at the time)

Don't know where that came from - effect of the light last week, boost from the race - but I'll take it :)

Wednesday
    AM 11.3 @ 4:50
    The usual run into work, but instead of, or while, feeling tired from yesterday, I was holding myself back.

Wednesday
    PM
    Gym session (core, back squats, hip thrusts, fast arms, nordic hamstrings, bench press, 5 x 50m sprints) followed by
    8.3 @ 4:59
    a fairly tired run
    Followed by an hour of taking the girl's track spikes out, taking my XC spikes out (three months after my last XC race:o ), and putting them in her shoes...

Thursday
    AM
    6.4 @ 5.44
    PM
    7.3 @ 5:38
    two tired recovery runs

Friday
    AM
    11.2 @ 4:51
    easy run into work

Heels are a bit sore this week, something to keep an eye on

Friday
    PM 8k @ 4:52
    easy evening run

Saturday
    4.9 @ 5:09
    Didn't know what I was doing this morning - had 10 miles written on the plan, was thinking of bringing it down to two laps of Tymon, on the way up to Tymon I was feeling pretty battered (heels still, and left knee clicking on every step) so turned around. Ended up doing a lap of the small local park and some not-very-fast strides

Sunday
    Tallaght 5k
    Still not feeling great, but fit enough for 5k anyway :)
    Got to the clubhouse quite early and hung around for a while before heading out to the track for a warm-up and then out the road to the start line, and eventually lined up a few rows back.
    First km brings up back past the track and into the village. Passing the track somewhere I looked down at my watch, saw 3:20ish, and eased off :rolleyes: Relaxed down the hill to the village and picked it up again as we turned the corner (around the garda car sticking out into the road:confused: ) First k was 3:28, right in theory but all wrong in practice :rolleyes:
    Next k is pretty much downhill, down the main road and into Castletymon. 3:33 pace, and I was working my way steadily through the field, but too far back for either to be meaningful
    Third k levelled out, and this was my real pace, 3:40 :rolleyes: Race had thinned out by now. I passed a clubmate who was obviously having a bad day, and up ahead spotted the same Tallaght woman I'd chased around Raheny a fortnight ago, so started reeling her in.
    4th k has the only real climb, bringing us back around towards the start line. 3:48 :rolleyes:
    Finally, the track is in sight again. Still chasing the first woman and working my way past another couple of Tallaght runners. There's a little ramp down onto the track, I use that to pass her and ramp it up for the last 300, catching a couple of clubmates on the line.
    18:10 overall, 18:08 chip, 37th, and first M45

Not a good race. Didn't have the confidence/determination to push at the start and settled back into a more comfortable pace. I should have been 20/30 seconds faster, and in more pain! The only bright point is that I'd be happy settling into that kind of pace in Terenure or Dunshaughlin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

RayCun wrote: »
    Still chasing the first woman and working my way past another couple of Tallaght runners.

It's like you are enjoying this, or something!

Pain.

• Advertisement

Monday
    AM
    7.1 @ 5:54 easy recovery
    PM
    6.4 @ 5:56 more recovery, followed by
    Gym session - plank, med ball, squats, fast arms, hip thrusts, nordic hamstrings, bench press, bands. No sprints today!

Tuesday
    6 x 1 mile with 3 minutes recovery
    So annoyed that I didn't save this session! :rolleyes: I was wrecked at the end, but delighted to get it done. Anyway, 5k warmup and a few strides, then 4 x 1 mile in Bushy park, all at about 3:45 pace, one minute walk, two minute jog recovery. After the fourth, I got out of the park and started heading home. 5th was from outside Terenure college to the KCR. About 1200m? Same pace, but that's a gentle downhill most of the way. 6th was from Carlisle gym into and around a local park, about 3:50 pace. Then about km cooldown home. Really didn't expect to be able to hit those paces, so very happy with the session.

Wednesday
    11.8 @ 4:53
    Easy run into work

Heels still quite tender, I'm rolling a squash ball under my feet when I have a chance

Wednesday PM
    Gym session - Plank, Russian twists, squats, box jumps, hip thrusts, walking lunges, fast arms, bench press, band work. Some skipping while the others did nordics (odd number of us)
    followed by
    8 @ 4:51
    ran the Terenure 5 mile outside loop just to remind myself of the drags

Thursday
    AM
    2.5 @ 6:25
    the boy wanted to go for a run in the morning. I would rather have stayed in bed!
    PM
    7 minutes tempo, 3 10k, 3 10k, 45 seconds 5k, 45 5k, all with 2:30 easy recovery
    Only a mini-session really, which is just as well, I was tired enough going into it. Easy 5k to Bushy to warm-up, and a few strides to wake up the legs. Paces were 3:48, 3:42, 3:37, 3:25, 3:15. 3k home cooldown
    later PM
    2.9 @ 5:23
    easy run with the kids

Friday
    AM
    11.8 @ 4:52
    Easy run into work, with a couple of laps of Bushy
    tired, tired, tired

Friday
    PM
    6.4 @ 4:50
    just getting the miles in

Saturday
    13 @ 4:45
    8 mile progression run. No real plan for this, ended up going to Tymon and doing one lap of the parkrun route easy (4:50ish), one steady (4:30ish), and one at MP (4-4:10ish) , and home

Sunday
    15 @ 4:43
    Actually 16, but my watch thinks I ran from Tallaght to Walkinstown in the first few minutes :confused: A couple of laps of Tymon, including Tymon lane in the badlands :) Took this very easy

118k for the week

my watch thinks I ran from Tallaght to Walkinstown in the first few minutes

Maybe you got mugged for your watch. You were in Tallaght.

Monday
    AM
    7.3 @ 5:27
    PM
    7.2 @ 5:40
    Very easy in and out of work
    Gym in the evening, just some planks, lighter squats, press

Tuesday
    10.2 @ 5:10
    Easy home from work

Wednesday
    2.4 @ 6:17
    12.3 @ 5:03
    Jog with the kid, then easy run into work

Knees still clicky, heels still tender, so I skipped the session planned for Tuesday. I was going to do some strides at the end of the run but decided to keep the easy run completely easy - hence the slower pace yesterday and today. Will do a light session tomorrow afternoon.

It doesn't look too bad when I look back on strava, but it doesn't feel like my training has been very consistent for the last month. Partly unavoidable, the effect of races and training courses, but still - too much big week/small week. Step 1, slow down a bit on the easy runs, remember they are recovery between sessions. Step 2 - get new shoes! Just realised yesterday that I bought one pair in February, and have been alternating them with pairs that are much older, and must have a serious amount of miles on them by now. Time for the internet...

• Advertisement

Thursday
    15.2 @ 4:55
    a mini-session - 5 min LT (3:50), 5 easy, 3 min 10k (3:36), 2 easy, 3 min 10k (3:40), 2 easy, 60 sec 5k-3k (3:36), 2 min easy, 45 sec 5k-3k (3:32), 2 min easy, 30 sec 5k-3k (3:36), 2 min easy
    Fairly easy pre-race session - one where you know you'll hit all the paces and it won't take too much out of you

Friday
    2.6 @ 6.06
    12.5 @ 4.57
    Jog with the kid, then an easy run into work. Some 30 second pickups on the way, balanced by some ... gastro-intestinal discomfort :rolleyes: later on

Saturday
    12.1 @ 5.48
    easy run up to Tymon, around the parkrun course, and back to a few strides near the house.

Sunday
    Terenure 5 mile - 29:26
    Even though this is my local race, and my brother is the race director, I haven't run this in years - holidays, injuries, and marathons have gotten in the way. But no excuses this year...

Cycled over, and met up with the club gang for group photos, before sneaking off to do my solitary warm-up and get in the zone :cool: :pac: I had a rough plan for this race, but a lot of it involved chasing a guy who turned out not to be running :pac: D+ for preparation! Anyway, I know these roads well, and more or less knew what to expect, although the wind seemed to be coming from several directions at once, just to confuse things.

Lined up behind some clubmates a few rows from the start, only a couple of minutes hanging around before we were off. After Tallaght I was determined to start fast enough, especially since the first couple of km here are easy. Before we got to the first corner a clubmate sailed past me - he's a big lad, so I let him clear the space and I tucked in behind :) That got me through the first km (3:33) and the crowds, then he started to slow down and I moved on ahead.

2nd km is into Terenure and a sharp left towards the KCR. A nice long straight, but we started to feel the wind here. I think it was more from the side than the front, but unexpected. There was a group about 10m in front and I half-thought about bridging the gap, but decided not to, I don't think there would have been much benefit. AMK caught up and passed by around here, but again, I decided to stay comfortable for now, 3:41

Third km is down to the KCR and then turning into the real wind. This mile along Wainsfort is one of the two hard sections of the course, a long, gentle drag and always into the wind. I knew this had to be taken fairly handy, but the two guys around me had the same idea, nobody took the front and we were running side-by-side for a few hundred metres :pac: (3:43)

At about the 2 mile mark there was a water station, I pulled ahead a bit to grab a cup to throw over me. As we moved away, a Raheny runner came through and took the lead - maybe he was tired of being stuck behind three of us :pac:. Another wheel to suck :) Probably not a huge windbreak from just one guy, but easier to tell myself I wasn't working hard when I was just following someone else. And it was fairly slow, around 4:00 until we got to the roundabout.

But okay then. The roundabout. Halfway around, the hardest section of the course done, but time is not great so far (3:54 for 4th k, just under 15 minutes for the half). Time to stop saving myself and start working. Came off the roundabout hard, and passed Raheny. DSD next. There was a Sportsworld woman up ahead, getting shouts for 4th? woman, but slowing down. Reeled her in over the next k and passed as we passed the start line again (3:39 for 5th k)

Downhill towards Terenure village again, and I can see AMK ahead, that keeps me working hard down and around the turn (3:37)

Terenure Road West and there's that weird wind again. Caught up with AMK on the way, but pace dropped off a bit (3:43), maybe saving myself a bit for the finish.

The last k... ow. Pass a Tallaght runner before we make the final turn. Drag again. Wind again. Niall C is up ahead, and a guy I know from Balbriggan, AMK is behind and I'm expecting a sprint finish. All I can do is pile it on. Caught Niall, Balbriggan is still ahead with Annette Kealy. There's a green on the right, that should be 400 from the finish, go more. Last bend and I was all-out sprinting - but no. No-one behind me, but I just managed to catch up to the back of the group of five in front and come in last of them :rolleyes::pac: Five of us in two seconds, including the 2nd M45 :o

45th overall, 42nd M, 3rd M45 - and my brother, the stingy git, only gives out two age group prizes :pac:

The last k... ow. Pass a Tallaght runner before we make the final turn.

Hah. You always work a mention for us in. I was talking to the chap. Young guy, broke 30 for the first time. I knew he'd be in and around your pace. I described you and asked him if the description matched. He said "dunno, I only saw the singlet. He fcuking shot past me".

davedanon wrote: »
    Hah. You always work a mention for us in. I was talking to the chap. Young guy, broke 30 for the first time. I knew he'd be in and around your pace. I described you and asked him if the description matched. He said "dunno, I only saw the singlet. He fcuking shot past me".

:pac:
    He put in a surge when I caught up to him first, and then realised I wasn't going away :pac:

:pac:
    He put in a surge when I caught up to him first, and then realised I wasn't going away :pac:

He's improving all the time, and youth's on his side...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super race management Ray - you made the right decision not to bridge the gap into the wind on the 2nd mile.
    Great racing!!

easy week...

Monday
    AM
    7.3 @ 5:34
    PM
    7.4 @ 5:45
    Planned ahead, and left clean clothes in work last week, so easy jog in and out. Went to the gym as usual, but just sat around an watched everyone else work :)

Tuesday
    11.7 @ 5:20
    easy run home, took in the woods in Bushy park

Wednesday
    AM
    11.5 @ 5:36
    PM
    gym session, usual stuff. 7 of us there, and I was the youngest :pac:
    4.7 @ 5:36
    easy jog afterwards

Thursday
    11.9 @ 5:09
    as Tuesday

Friday
    11.6 @ 5:04
    and easy run in

Left knee is a bit iffy, heels a bit tender, nothing too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great race. Well done.

TbL

Friday
    PM
    5.3 @ 5:20
    another very easy run

Saturday
    tempo run 7.9 @ 4:01
    plus a mile warm-up and cooldown
    I'm unreasonably annoyed by the fact that I had an average pace of 4:00 for 8k on Saturday, and that's what the lap breakdown shows on Strava, but the overview disagrees :mad: :pac:
    The club tempo session in Marlay park, first time along in a couple of months. Very controlled run, kept a nice steady effort and refused to be drawn into any racing :)

Sunday
    18.1 @ 4:54
    longish run - up to Phoenix Park, up Military, through s-bends and Furry Glen, turned at Ordnance Survey road and went back down the Upper Glen Road and home. Kept it easy throughout.

101.1k for the week

Monday
    AM
    7.3 @ 5:25
    PM
    7.3 @ 5:29
    Easy jogs in and out of work. No gym session this evening - well, there was, but I was just watching the younger ones get put through their paces

Tuesday
    16.3 @ 4:51
    5 x (800 @ 10k / 800 @ steady)
    paces were 3:45/4:30/3:44/4:21/3:50/4:24/3:42/4:29/3:39/5:09
    happy with that, because 10k pace felt natural (if not easy!)

Wednesday
    AM
    12.3 @ 4:54
    run into work, no time for a longer one
    PM
    5.4 @ 5:56
    fairly sloppy extra miles
    no gym, watching the match :)

Thursday
    12.1 @ 5:13
    8 x 200 @ mile-3k pace, 200 jog recovery
    Picked out a flat section of Bushy park to do this on, but of course I overran the 200 every time, so the jog back wasn't to the same place, and I was turning at the start of every 200, and it was all a bit messy :rolleyes: Should have done this on a track just running around the park as usual. 200s took between 38 and 44, but I'm not attaching much weight to the precision of those measurements!

Friday
    13.8 @ 4:55
    Easy run into work and around UCD

Knee is improving - still some clicks but less stiffness/achiness - as are the heels

• Advertisement

Saturday
    9.3 @ 4:59
    Easy run up and around Tymon, ending with some strides, felt absurdly short.
    Then got completely drowned in Irishtown at the team championships

Sunday
    20.6 @ 4:53
    Easy run up to the park, in at Islandbridge, looping around the glen/Ordnance Survey/Furze, then back out and home.Kept it all very easy (143 BPM average)
    Then over to Tallaght to get sunburned at the track and field league :rolleyes::o

104.9 for the week

Monday
    7.3 @ 5:17 in the morning
    7.3 @ 5:28 in the afternoon
    jog in and out of work
    just supervising in the gym

Tuesday
    7.2 @ 5:02
    Wore an old pair of socks yesterday which turned out to have a hole in them. Ended up with a patch of skin work off on one foot :rolleyes:
    No plaster with me in work when I realised this, so just jogged home

Wednesday
    13.6 @ 4:48
    Plaster on, easy run into work and around UCD
    Gym in the evening, usual routine, added dumbbell pullovers back in, hadn't done them in a while

466km for May

Thursday
    10.9 @ 5:15
    Easy, with 6 x 10 hills in Bushy park. Not the greatest, probably recovering from the gym

Friday
    12.4 @ 4:48
    easy in and around UCD again

a bunch of runs I couldn't upload - possibly watch was too low on memory? Deleting everything seems to have helped. Noted my holiday runs before deleting but forgot about the weekend...

Saturday 3rd
    Marlay parkrun 18:08 (5th)
    Wanted to get another race in before holidays/Dunshaughlin, this was the closest I could manage. Don't remember much about it. I think (or I'm just telling myself :) ) that I'm too used to 10k pace at this point, and anything faster feels much faster/harder than it 'should'

Sunday 4th
    22k? about 1:50?
    probably a bit further, and a bit faster, but anyway...
    up to the Park, up and down the hills on the south side, onto the trails around Farmleigh and down North road a bit. I had a halfway distance in mind - maybe 11k? - reached that, looped around some woods, and retraced my steps back. All fairly easy.

Monday 5th to Wednesday 14th
    about 100k over 10 days.

Great holiday, but not a great place to run. The town is all hills, paths are concrete, roads are almost as hard. Saw one place fairly nearby with a few k of running/cycling track beside the road, but it would have been about 5k to get there, and involved getting past a motorway and a stretch of road with no path. Tried another edge of the town on the first day, but it was just scrubland, very uneven, and bordered soon enough by fences and more pathless roads. So most days I just did a lap, just over a mile of gradual uphill, partly through scrubland, turn around and run a mile back, repeat as necessary :rolleyes:

I'd written out the sessions on the plan and added them to my watch, but between the heat and the lack of anywhere to do them, I mostly stuck to easy running. Did a couple of 6 x 10 second hill sessions - on one of them getting my ass handed to me by the kid :) - but that was it.

Thursday 15th - post-travel day off, first in a couple of months

Friday
    easy jog in and out of work, 14-15k altogether

Saturday
    5x800@5k pace, 4 x hill sprints
    back to Tymon park... easy run down and a few minutes of drills
    800s in 2:53, 2:50, 2:45, 2:51, 2:51 (tried to pick a flat section, not completely successfully), standing/walking recovery, and then the hill sprints from the playground to the M50 walkway, much shallower than the Bushy park hill

Sunday
    10 miles easy, up to Phoenix park, Islandbridge to the top of Upper Glen Road, and back
    Then at training a little later, 2.9k easy, 3 x 60m sprints, 1.4k easy, full recovery after each, with two of the kids

Monday
    easy jog in and out of work

Tuesday
    5 min@LT, 5 easy, 2 x (3@10k, 2 easy) 60@5k, 45@5k, 30@5k
    easy run to Bushy park to get this done. Fairly hot, but it's an easy enough session. LT was 3:46, 10ks were 3:38 and 3:45, first 5k was 3:32, but I pulled up right at the end, left hamstring went. Not too bad, I could still jog home, but there was a knot right in the middle of my thigh and it wasn't moving properly :(

Wednesday
    Just an easy run, straight into work, could still feel it

Thursday
    10k home from work. Planned to do strides at the end of this, but leg still wasn't right. Seriously thinking about not doing Dunshaughlin at this stage. Since I'd come back from holidays, and with the heat, I'd been feeling very sluggish, not race sharp at all. Eventually talked myself back into it.

Friday
    another easy run in, still no strides

Saturday
    We're trying to get a monthly pacer day going at Tymon, so I dropped down to do 25 minutes. Way too fast at first! When I started getting decent readings from my watch, I spent the rest of the first km slowing down, which was grand because the second 500m is uphill anyway. Once we got to the end of the first km, a little group had settled in and more or less stayed together to the end. It's a tricky enough course, because it's pretty much all either (slightly) up or down, it's important to get the effort levels right.
    then off to training, and home for lunch and a nap

Dunshaughlin 10k (37:06 chip time)
    Got down in plenty of time and hung around a while, bumping into various Boards celebs and clubmates. Probably too relaxed. Out eventually for the usual warm-up and jumped in a few rows from the front. (Start was much better organised than last time I was out here, maybe the timing mats helped keep everyone in line?) Rough plan was to keep a little under 6 minute pace (3:44/5) for most of the way and pick it up towards the end. 6 minute pace would be 37:12, a couple of seconds under each mile would be 37, and then see how much more I could take off at the end

Opening km was fast, as always. Strava claims that it's flat, but surely there's a substantial downhill there? 3:37 anyway, and comfortable. Through the village and out the other side, again feeling mostly downhill? in 3:39. The race was settling down now. For the next few km, there were a couple of guys ahead of me, Trim and Bohermeen, that I used as pacers. They were sticking very consistently just under 6 minute miles, while I was finding myself drifting back and catching up, so after a couple of times doing that I just closed the gap and stuck closer to them. 3:42, 3:43, 3:42 for this section, passing the 5k mark a little under 18:30.

This felt on-plan. I wasn't working hard, I felt warm but not uncomfortable - there were lots of people out on the course with water. I knew there were some hills in the second half, but nothing major - although the first half did seem to be almost all downhill?

Passed my two pacers somewhere around here, still feeling good - I thought the 6k mark was further along (3:40). 7k had the steepish hill, but also a drop before that I'd forgotten about. I let myself slow down on the hill to save energy and a few people I'd just passed caught up with me, but overall I was still moving through the field (3:44). 8k had the longer drag (3:55). The plan was to relax up it, and once it levelled out start pushing for the end. Half worked :rolleyes:.

There's a bit of a downhill after the drag, and I was faster there all I right, but as soon as the road flattened out again, so did I :o After (I thought) running within myself for so long, when I went for the other gear it wasn't there. I was working harder alright, but not going any faster. (3:41) Starting to come back into the town now, which should be giving me a lift, but nothing. Stomach feeling uncomfortable, rather than my legs or breathing, but mainly the frustrating feeling of pushing against something that is refusing to move. Finally got in sight of the last corner and picked it up for the last couple of hundred metres (3:37).

So, not how this training block was supposed to end, but there you go. Taking most of this week off completely, then will have a week or so of only easy running, before getting back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great racing Ray - the picture of you at the end told its own story - gave it everything.

Any thoughts (+/-) on the plan you were following?

ah, I wasn't that bad at the end - was worse after Terenure and Raheny. I just saw a wall and thought it looked like a nice spot for a lie-down :pac:

I think my holidays came at the wrong time. Things were going well through May, but all the things I was supposed to do in July, I did in June instead. Probably a bit silly to pick Dunshaughlin in hindsight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Rockyman7

Great racing Ray - the picture of you at the end told its own story - gave it everything.

Any thoughts (+/-) on the plan you were following?

great foto,dats how u finish a race(or a night out)..#supercoach

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great racing Ray, reckon those saucy white socks cost you the sub 37!! Will you invest the effort in DCM this year or leave the marathon for next year, your coming into great shape again which is great to see.

• Advertisement

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great racing Ray, reckon those saucy white socks cost you the sub 37!! Will you invest the effort in DCM this year or leave the marathon for next year, your coming into great shape again which is great to see.

No marathon this year, Rotterdam in the spring...

Advertisement