Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Murph_D wrote: »
    Plenty of good northside routes, Ray!

I'm already on the northside! You want me to go deeper?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm already on the northside! You want me to go deeper?!?

You have the whole northern seafront at your disposal, some of the best running territory in the city and (marginally) closer to the IFSC than Irishtown!

For now, I'm sticking with the running group in work - where they lead I follow! I think they have run out Clontarf way sometimes, but only when they have more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

You have the whole northern seafront at your disposal, some of the best running territory in the city and (marginally) closer to the IFSC than Irishtown!

Yes but you have to run through some of 'less pretty' areas of ND to get to the seafront :p. I've done that run a few times over to Fairview park, I much prefer the jaunt to Irishtown, less traffic, more seagulls!

Yes but you have to run through some of 'less pretty' areas on NCD to get to the seafront :p. I've done that run a few times over to Fairview park, I much prefer the jaunt to Irishtown, less traffic, more seagulls!

Now now, are you suggesting that East Wall is less salubrious than Ringsend? Plus (depending of course on your starting point) there is the route through East Point that allows you a relatively traffic-free 'short cut' to the seafront! #northsidenous

• Advertisement

Now now, are you suggesting that East Wall is less salubrious than Ringsend? Plus (depending of course on your starting point) there is the route through East Point that allows you a relatively traffic-free 'short cut' to the seafront! #northsidenous

Absolutely! :D and this is a south side log, we don't want to discombobulate poor Ray any more than he already has been!

Of course Ray you could always run up the quays into the Phoenix Park - the more salubrious part of the DNS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Absolutely! :D and this is a south side log, we don't want to discombobulate poor Ray any more than he already has been!

Of course Ray you could always run up the quays into the Phoenix Park - the more salubrious part of the DNS!

Phoenix Park is Southside Dublin, D8.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Phoenix Park is Southside Dublin.

We might need Denis to settle this argument, while the PP is Dublin 8 it is in fact on the North Side. D8 being the only even post code to cover South and North of the city.

Apologies Ray, you can have your log back now... :o

The president is hardly a northsider, therefore the park must be on the southside. QED :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

OOnegative wrote: »
    Phoenix Park is Southside Dublin, D8.

Anything on north side of the liffey is north Dublin.

• Advertisement

Boards always has all the answers:

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055383930

Anyway, Ray, welcome to DNS.

Work things Monday and Tuesday, just got out for 10k Monday evening and 6 Tuesday morning.
    Wednesday fit in a lunchtime session of 12x200 off 200, and a run home, taking average runner's advice and running out to join the Dodder, going home from there.
    Back in the same way Thursday, and easy at lunch.
    Off work yesterday, 10k steady in the morning and 6 easy in the evening.
    10k easy this morning,6 to come later,
    Tomorrow will be 12 miles progression in the morning and 5 miles easy later.

Quick update...

Sorting out a bit of a routine in new job, running at lunch four days, running either in or out four days. The canal route is not too bad, about 10k, Dodder route is about 13k. Lunch runs limited to about 40 minutes. Working out okay now because my mileage is a bit lower, 60-70/week, a lot of short doubles.

Lunch is long enough for a short session, 12x200 last week, 5 miles steady this week. Both done too fast - still trying to avoid my watch :) and running with company always makes me go faster. Steady pace is feeling very easy at the moment, for the short runs at least.

Progression run on Sunday I didn't enjoy. Putting the faster running at the end makes it loom over the session. And I always have trouble with the steady progression bit. I ran up to Tymon, was running the parkrun lap, trying to make each lap just that bit faster, but I think I hit marathon pace a lap or two early and had to hang on. (Each lap is a drag up or down, which makes it hard to say how fast you are 'really' going) Another five later that day and I was tired, but no real problems. (Supposed to be the other way around, but I wasn't going for a session in the afternoon!)

Yesterday was another 1.5MP, .5 steady alternation, just 10 miles this time. Ran from work to the Dodder and started there. First interval was a bit slow, second fine (slower at the end when I hit a hill and a main road), three and four in Bushy were grand, and the last was a bit slow again, but more because I was getting close to home and had a bunch of roads to cross than because of fatigue.

So, all going okay. Missing gym sessions in the last few weeks, but keeping up the morning routine. A few aches and pains but nothing persistent, and I don't feel close to an edge. Give me another few weeks and we'll see :)

This morning was two miles at 10k, one at 5k, 800 at 3k, and two 400s at mile pace, four minutes recovery after each. No access to Garmin connect at the moment but I did have the bright idea of switching the auto lap to 800m.
    Jogged up to Tymon and did a few minutes warming up before starting. Ran the two miles from Limekiln road clockwise around the park, so slightly uphill and into the wind for the first mile, and down for the second. About six minute pace on average, though I wouldn't fancy another four miles like that.

During the recovery I worked out that the next lap should finish after about 2.50 and sure enough it did. It was only a minute later I remembered I should have stopped after the second lap beep (I was going too fast anyway), so I did three 800s instead. Then just before the last of them I realised I could have just swapped the 800 and the mile.

More for the enormous pile of evidence that running makes me stupid...

Can't run outside, can't even run on a treadmill because all the gyms are closed...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Can't run outside, can't even run on a treadmill because all the gyms are closed...

+1 depressing stuff :( how are you fixed for Rotterdam?

healy1835 wrote: »
    +1 depressing stuff :( how are you fixed for Rotterdam?

All good apart from that. Training going well, everything sorted for the trip, feeling pretty good about it all. Target time might still be beyond me, but I'm ready to give it a go.

I haven't been too bothered about missing easy runs this week, I figure a few days recovery would do me about as much good, and the risk of a fall might be low but at this stage isn't worth it. If I had somewhere to go it might be different, but it was as easy to stay in.

But getting behind on the sessions was annoying me, gyms closing all over the place and ruining my plans. But finally a local place opened up, and even better they had one day free trial membership...

Session was 10k at marathon pace, mile at 10k pace, 6.5k marathon, mile 10k, 4 minutes recovery after each. 40, 6, 26, 6.

First time on a treadmill since the last snow? and I think first time doing a session? Bad points, there were many - too hot, boring, first interval I was running too close to the front of the yoke and kept banging my hands off it, too hot, too hot, and too damned hot.

Good points... well I don't know if it's a good point or not, it was easy to keep pace, just set the thing to 15km or 16km and stay on it. Running outside I'd have been checking my watch to see if the pace was right, and if/when it got too hard I would slowly drop off the pace. On the treadmill you have to actively decide to slow down, and reach up to change the pace. It's much easier to resist that than to force yourself to pick up the effort to hit a number on your watch.

Anyway, with any luck I won't be on one of those things for another few years

Last real long run before the marathon, and I think longest in a while. Most of the big runs seem to be in the 10-15 mile range.

Straight out from work, through the badlands of DNS, to the safety of the park ;) Most of it was fine, but the furry glen was blocked off and covered in snow, and that whole area at the top of Upper Glen road was a mess of snow and puddles. I'd usually go on the trails around ordnance survey to north road, but not today.

So, about 5k to the park, coming in from north circular road (last time I ran that road it was in the marathon a few years ago), over to Wellington road, up Military and the bends, upper Glen and ordnance survey, then all the way back down chesterfield, on the grass beside the path. Two laps of that, then it was getting dark so I left the park and turned towards home.

Cut through the memorial gardens to find the gate locked, so back out and around on the roads, and an extra loop around Crumlin village to bring the run up to 31k.

Bit of a low patch around two hours, told myself to cop the **** on, and picked it up for the last 20 minutes. One month to go...

5 x 2 miles @ MP, 800 steady recoveries

Up early for this one, and jogged to Tymon. No time for any drills, so straight into the run. The park is not what you'd call hilly, but there's a low corner and a high corner, with drags between. I started in the low corner :( So the lap was basically 2k of flat or slight incline, and 1.2k of gradual downhill, with another 800m of downhill wasted on the steady recoveries.

First lap - a bit slow, as usual, 4:05. Partly warming up, partly settling in to the right balance of effort on each part of the lap.

Second and third were better, 3:58 and 3:59

Fourth, found it very hard get up any speed on the initial drag, felt like I was running through treacle. Behind pace all the way and really pushing to try to catch up on the down bit, 4:03 in the end.

Fifth one, got to leave the park and start heading (a roundabout way) home. Slowed for a couple of roads, but other than that, much easier to keep a steady pace, 4:00 again.

Wrecked afterwards though - got home, showered, got a drink and some peanut butter on toast to eat in the car as I brought the girl to junior parkrun, didn't even get out of the car to swap kids to bring the boy to training, I was a zombie for the rest of the day...

• Advertisement

Today was an odd one, a double session day.

Morning I ran over to Bushy, then started the session with three laps of the park, then through the houses and down to the Dodder, following that to Clonskeagh. Bit annoyed by the section near terenure bridge, it was into the wind but I felt I lost focus, and dipped below pace there. But finished the 8k on target, and was actually surprised when I realized I was finished, I was ready to keep going for another k. Then ran the rest of the way into work.

Afternoon was basically the same but in reverse direction, except instead of 8k at MP it was 25 minutes at threshold. Well, that was the plan, but it wasn't even close. Conditions didn't help, there was some flooding beside the river, but even so I was way off. Even though I didn't feel I could run faster, when I stopped I didn't feel like I'd been running at threshold either. I think its mainly the thing of two hard runs in a day. Don't think I've ever done it before, and my legs weren't keen!

Annoyingly, my garmin 610 is reaching a "hold it on to the charger or it will just beep at you" stage, so that last post was written while I sat holding it tight...

Saturday session - 7 x (400 LT, 1200 MP)

Very tired this week, in bed by 9 last night, and some session dread creeping in this morning.

Jogged up to Tymon as usual (in at the low corner as usual :rolleyes:), and did a couple of sprints to warm up.

First set, I went out too fast, 3:35 pace for the 400 (should be about 3:50), evened off at 4:00 in the MP section. Then 3:45 and 3:49 (downhill), 3:40 and 4:03 coming back by the start, 3:42 and 3:57, 3:47 and 3:57, 3:42 and 3:58, finally 3:45 and 3:51.

Two laps of Tymon, then the last two were on smaller laps around the pond - flatter, but straight into the wind and through a big puddle on a straight :rolleyes: The second-last MP interval I was working to bring the pace back up after that straight, which is why the last one was faster. Charlie Spedding would not approve ;)

Two more to go...

Midweek session, 12 miles hilly progression

Kind of hard to do both properly. Last progression run was in Tymon, so I tried to go a bit faster on each lap. That wasn't an option today, so I went all in on the hilly bit and hoped for the best on progression.

So, up to Phoenix park from the IFSC, hill to the north circular, down Wellington road, down is also a hill!, up Military, hill, through s bends, up upper Glen road, hill, down into furry glen, hill out the other side, hill, round the top and back into the Glen, more hills, round again and down upper Glen, right down to Donore exit so I could go back up again, down Military and out, into the war memorial gardens and up to the gate, locked, down again and out around on the road, and up through Inchicore. Stopped at the lights by the LUAS after about 20k and eleventy seven hills, and that was enough for me.

The progression element, as expected, was a bit rough, but there was a steady stretch and the last 6k or so was about MP, that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

eleventy seven hills
    :pac::pac:

Channeling your inner Tolkien.

I read your post this morning and as I was doing my workout going down Chesterfield into the wind, I was going to turn left at theZoo to the North Road, but turned right instead based on your post!

8 x 200m @ 5k/3k pace, with 200m jog recovery

Just a mini-session this morning, une sessionette, s'il vous plait

No idea of pace, no point even looking on intervals that short, the readings would be all over the place. Bit windy out there.

I shouldn't be let out...

4 x 3 miles with 800 steady recovery

Which is the final session on the plan, the one everyone knows is _the_ tough session in the program. So why, about a km into this session did I think, okay, 3 miles is 4800m, so this interval ends at... hang on, 4800? What did I set the intervals at?

Yes, you guessed it, I set the intervals at 3200m, two miles, same as the previous version of this session . So I did the 3200, and the 800, and 800 of the next interval, stopped the watch, saved and restarted, on the run, then did the rest of the session using the regular laps, and manually lapping the 800s. I amaze even myself sometimes.

So, without a lap pace that would even itself out over the miles, I was kind of all over the place.

First interval was 12.41 + 3.04 + 3.22 = 19.07
    Fine apart from the urge to slap myself

Second was 3.59, 46, 4.04, 4.05, and 3.14 (4.00 pace) for the 800. 19.07 again?

Third interval, around that god forsaken park again, and I managed to make a mess of simple addition this time, 3.58, 4, 4.05, 3.52, and 2.21 for _600_ (3.51 pace) , 18.14? and getting tired.

Last interval I treated myself by leaving the park and heading towards home, although that meant I ended up doing a few laps of the little park near the house. 3.51, 4.05, 3.58, 3.57, and 3.12 for the 800 (3.53 pace), 19.03. Those last laps were tough, felt like I was crawling along.

But done, finally, and a few months ago I would have given myself no chance of completing that session on pace, and honestly wouldn't have been too worried if I was a few seconds off here or there.

The bad news is that I spoke to authorities, and apparently it isn't enough to just complete the training plan, you also have to do a race?!?! (And they said even if they were going to make an exception, it wouldn't be for someone who manages to **** up a simple workout so much) So no medal for me today :(

(Should also note, this is the first session in a while I've gone into still feeling the effects of the previous one. The progression run on Wednesday was tough, and Friday, though easy enough, was hard enough to stop me recovering completely. I was feeling a bit stiff and sore this morning, and I'm sure I'll be worse tomorrow. But no more hard runs!)

Annoyingly, my garmin 610 is reaching a "hold it on to the charger or it will just beep at you" stage, so that last post was written while I sat holding it tight...

and now I've had to take the charging cradle apart, and hold the connectors together by hand :rolleyes:

Five miles, with 60 second surges to threshold pace

Lunch run in Irishtown. I think I made this harder for myself by deciding the other day that there were no hard runs left :)

Easier than the seven mile version, but still not exactly easy...

• Advertisement

5 miles marathon pace on Saturday. Did this in Tymon, paced the parkrun for the first 5k then ran up behind the finish line a bit, then back and on to another lap of the course. All grand. Didn't manage to bring anyone in under the 20, but the run was fine, easier on the last lap when I was warmed up and wasn't worrying about burning people off.

Some surges yesterday, ten minutes MP tomorrow, and that's about it. Bags are packed, just need to throw in some muesli and my chargers (bit the bullet and bought a new cradle from amazon), maybe another book from the library...

Oh, and check the weather forecast. Again.

Advertisement