Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭Safiri

Just some recent experiences of mine since recently moving country. It was torture getting used to the heat and took a good week and a half to two weeks before I felt anyway comfortable running in the heat. Even though most of my runs were done in the evening when the temps were 15-16°. You think that's nothing and should be handy to run in as it's no problem during the Summer in Ireland but that's because of the gradual acclimatisation. Coming from the unseasonably cold last few months back home, those temps felt like torture to run in for me at first. Would boil early on runs and dehydrate fairly quickly and my paces were generally 15 sec/mile slower for the first week. European spring marathons are always going to be a risk for Irish people especially in years like this one where Winter hasn't ended at all. Only thing you can probably do to minimise it is to hit the treadmill and layer up to get a bit acclimated.

Tough break Ray. I feel your pain but your in good shape and running always gives you a shot at redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

took a week off, back running Sunday 15th, all easy since then

Monday 5 miles at lunch
    Tuesday 5 miles at lunch and 5 home
    Wednesday 5 miles at lunch and 5 in to work
    Thursday 5 miles at lunch and 5 home
    Friday 5 miles at lunch and 5 in to work
    Saturday 7ish in the morning, 3 in the afternoon/evening
    Sunday 90 minutes up and around some of Phoenix Park

will stick to that schedule, more or less, but adding in sessions and extra miles this week, and following an edited version of the Magness marathon plan again for Dublin.

Daughter's birthday rules out the race series half, and don't fancy the trip down to Charleville, so calendar is looking like this

May

Tallaght 5k
    Terenure 5 mile 13th May
    Staff relays 24th

June

? Leinster Masters ?
    ? Bohermeen 5k 8th June ?
    Dunshaughlin 23rd June

July

Day of 5k pbs 14th July
    Mullingar 10 mile July 28th

August

?DLR Bay 10k August 6th ?
    Tullamore half August 25th

September

Lakes 10k September 8th
    ? Rathfarnham 5k ?

October

Dublin marathon

Leinster masters probably depends on whether I get to any graded meets in May

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

What's the day of 5k PB's Ray? Can't find anything online?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

pconn062 wrote: »
    What's the day of 5k PB's Ray? Can't find anything online?

Thread on it in Events.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Thread on it in Events.

Cheers B, will look into it.

• Advertisement

Last week was the usual
    run Monday lunchtime
    run at lunch the other days, and also in or out of work

Wednesday lunch did a mini-session, 12 x 200, 200 jog recovery, approx 5k pace

Saturday paced Tymon, and met theboyblunder and jcsmum who'd run it at tempo pace, and we (and another clubmate) followed it with 10x400 at 5k pace. Better than my original plan of running the course again.

Sunday met up with a couple of clubmates to run up to the Blue Light, waving at a crazy cyclist on the way down... ;)

After the session in Tymon last week, theboyblunder pointed out that I wasn't lifting my feet. It's something I've always been prone to, and leads to feet landing in front of me, shorter strides, etc. So that's been a focus on all my runs since then, picking my feet up behind me - with the inevitable result that my calves feel battered :)

Monday - easy lunch run
    Tuesday - Garmin strap was broken, so a stopwatch-only session - minute on, minute off, x16, along one side of the triangle in Irishtown park. Easy run home
    Wednesday - easy run in, easy lunch run
    Thursday - easy lunch run, easy run home + strides
    Friday - OH away and half day, so just the easy run in
    Saturday - about 10k easy, with some strides

Sunday - Tallaght 5k
    First 5k since this race last year, so no idea what to expect - I remember last year easing off too much after the start, so only plan was to go harder. But then just before the start I spotted my brother in the row in front so decided to follow him as long as I could.

He took it out at a steady pace, letting people surge off from the start and working back to them after the first corner, 3:26 for the first k. On the main road and worked through the groups that were starting to form, and bridged a gap to another group about 10m ahead with Niall C in it, 3:27 for the second.

Next k is a long straight along the back of Tymon park and things are getting real. There's already been a couple of people dropping out to walk, we are no longer jogging along, but I'm still hanging on to the brother and Niall, 3:31.

4th k was the turn back on to the Greenhills road, the only climb in the course, and a surprising development - I'd been hanging on to my brother, trying to postpone the moment when I was dropped, expecting to be dragged to a decent time in the process. But then I passed him :eek: at about the end of the 4th k, 3:43, and Niall shortly after.

So the last k was full-on panic mode :pac: hearing the shouts for Sportsworld and Tallaght right behind me, expecting to have one of them tear past me at any moment, but somehow it never happened. 3:26 for the last km, and about 15 seconds for the final straight on the track.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Ha Ha, well done, I noticed you are a few seconds ahead alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Well done! What did your brother think of the result?

chickey2 wrote: »
    Well done! What did your brother think of the result?

I think he went out and bought a wetsuit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Didn’t know you had a running bro, Ray, hope he’s younger. :) Well done, super time.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Didn’t know you had a running bro, Ray, hope he’s younger. :) Well done, super time.

Yeah, five years younger, but has been running longer. We rarely end up in the same race, but that was a slow time for him. He's just been elected chair of his club, the responsibility must be weighing him down :)

Monday - two recovery jogs

Tuesday - no chance of running during work, so got out for an easy run in the morning, then ran home

Wednesday - just the run into work, so took the longer route along the Dodder

Thursday - day off, spoiled by a 6 x 800 session in the morning :) aim was 3:30s, but struggled on the last two
    short recovery jog in the afternoon

Friday - another day off, bit of a longer run in the morning, 15k

Saturday - easy run, with strides

bit sore this week, calf, ankles... and the bit that connects them :eek: Not bad, but it's an area that hasn't given me trouble in a while

Sunday - Terenure 5 mile
    I was looking for a PB. Tallaght was a decent run last week, Raheny wasn't far off the PB, so I expected to be faster here. It's not a route I run often, but I know the roads well, and it's all fairly flat with only one tight bend (that we run twice)

A bit niggly during the warm-up, but no more than usual, and warm, but not as warm as last week.

Usual fast start, with the crowd sorting itself out on the straight to Terenure. I ended up with a clubmate beside me, we'd finished beside each other last week, and both of us tracking Catherina McKiernan just in front. (And Feidhlim Kelly in front of her - he seemed to be disorientated by the lack of lanes because he was all over the road :pac:) 3:25 for the first k, about right

Second k, around that sharp bend in Terenure village, and still tracking CMK as she moved through the field. I wasn't quite closing the gap on her though... Didn't see it at the time, but 3:35 for second k, not great

Third k and my clubmate moves in front, and both he and CMK open a bit of a gap, 3:37

Fourth k is a bit of a drag, and the gap ahead is slowly widening. Even with the drag, pace is clearly not what it should be. Already I've realized/decided that I won't be getting a PB today and started wondering why - the race last week? 3:49 for this k

Fifth k includes the turn at Templeogue, back onto the straight past the start line and to Terenure village. The straight is a long, very gentle downhill, and I always pick it up here, but this time, not very much. A guy from Clonliffe passed me at the start of the k and I held on to him here, but not for much longer. 3:39

Sixth is still on the straight, all downhill, but no faster, 3:39 again

Seven and I just want it over. OH and daughter are at the petrol station at the end of this k, and she gives out to me later - "You always tell me to use my arms when I'm running, but you weren't moving your arms at all!" 3:47

Last k, the long drag to the finish line. I do manage to pick it up for the last 400, and the last 100, but from a very low base :o, 3:44 to close

29:30 overall, a few seconds slower than last year, more than 30 seconds slower than Raheny, third M45 again (only prizes for top two). The only consolation is that a lot of people seemed to be off their expected times, but not a good day.

Monday - 5 miles easy at lunch

Tuesday - 5 at lunch, 5 home

Wednesday - 8 into work, 5 at home

Thursday - 6 home, going through Phoenix park to get in 6 x 10 hills. Used two little paths off the side of the Kyber but they were too uneven really for this kind of run. Next time will try the war memorial park instead

Friday - 5 into work, and 5k at lunch

Saturday - there was a club tempo group meeting a bit earlier, so I went up to join them, doing laps around the concert field in Marlay before the parkrun came by. Stuck to 6 laps this week, sticking to the 6th was struggle enough. Started a bit fast, but stuck to 3:40 pace overall.

Sunday - met a couple of clubmates to go for a longer run up around the reservoir, just under 24k, just under 5:00 pace.

missed out on a couple of easy runs this week with other stuff on...

Monday - 5 miles at lunch

Tuesday - 5 at lunch and 5 home, with some strides

Wednesday - 8 into work, 5 at lunch

Thursday - staff relay in the Phoenix park
    Didn't approach this as a real race, more of a work social. Not much of a warm-up, and got the baton for the second leg near the back, so spent the race weaving through people. Course is not one for fast times either. But as a social event, it was fun, good atmosphere, grand standing around by the tent with a drink, waiting for people to come through.

Friday - just the run into work, 5 miles

Saturday - Marlay tempo again, 6k again. 7 next time.

Sunday - met a few clubmates for a long run, up to the reservoir, through a crowd doing a Dublin Mountain Way walk, out the back gate and turned right to climb some more and come back a different way, about 15 miles in 2 hours.

Chugging away...
    Monday, just under 5 miles at lunch

Tuesday, 12 x 200 at lunch, about 40 seconds each?, 5 miles home later

Wednesday, 5 into work and again at lunch

Thursday, 5 at lunch, about 6 on the way home. 6 x 10 hills along the way in the war memorial gardens, the hill there is perfect, good incline, good surface, and long enough to do 20 second sprints when they come up.

Friday, 5 into work and again at lunch.

Saturday, Marlay park tempo again. Last couple were 6k so I went to 7 on this, a bit slower to make sure. Will stick at 7 for a few weeks, go up to 8 later in June, build up to 10 in the autumn.
    Easy 5k later on.

Sunday long run with clubmates. Met at 8, went over to Clonskeagh, marathon route to Richview then turned right to go higher, over the hill to the Goat, out by the Beacon, and back via Marlay. 26k altogether, with 8 x 45 surges along the way.

Just under 120k for the week.

Achilles has been playing up a bit recently, so I'm back to the 180 heel drops, twice a day. The joys...

More days, more miles

Monday - took full advantage of the bank holiday by running 5k easy in the morning and the same again in the afternoon #YOLO

Tuesday - 5 easy at lunch. On the way home, ran part of the marathon route, up Crumlin road, thinking it would be longer than the usual road. It wasn't.

Wednesday - into work in the morning. 20 minute tempo at lunch. A bit silly really, since I was also doing a tempo on Saturday. I should have used my midweek session window for intervals. Run was a bit of a struggle too, didn't get much more than 5k done in the 20 minutes.

Thursday - 5 at lunch, 5 more home

Friday - 5 into work, 5 at lunch

Saturday - Marlay park tempo. 7k again, slightly faster than last week, still hard work though. 5k recovery in the afternoon.

Sunday - early long run. Had to coach at 10am, so I was up early and out before 7. 28k up to and around Phoenix park, usual and out and back run. Low point about an hour in, waiting for the turnaround, and the last 5k from the park to home were on fumes, but overall not bad.
    126k for the week.

unplanned stepback week...

Monday - easy lunchtime 5

Tuesday - 5 at lunch, 5 home

Wednesday - morning, 6 x (400 just faster than LT, 1200 steady)
    Diverted to Eamonn Ceannt park on the way to work for this, most of it run around the hill, a reasonably flat loop just under a km around.
    Fairly tired by the end but went well otherwise.
    5k recovery at lunch

Thursday - 5 at lunch, 6 home

Friday - only chance to run would have been very early (after a late night Thursday) or very late (after getting home from Dublin champs in Irishtown), so I took the day off and got an early night

Saturday - tempo in Marlay park, 7k again, felt easier than last week. Didn't get out for a recovery run

Sunday - long run, up to Phoenix park again, a little further on the loop than last week, 29k/18 miles. Tired towards the end, and for the rest of the day, but the run felt easier than last week. The day off Friday made a difference on both weekend runs.

103k for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Nice week ray, 18 miles? Another marathon on the horizon?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

RayCun wrote: »
    October

Dublin marathon

Still on? Did you get entry?!

Good LR on a step back week.

• Advertisement

Good LR on a step back week.

Forgot this !

Duanington wrote: »
    Nice week ray, 18 miles? Another marathon on the horizon?

Yeah, Dublin this year. For the first couple of months all the long runs are at easy pace, getting up to 20 early, then the distance comes down but the runs start to include steady sections, MP sections, etc

To be honest though, I may end up changing the plan a fair bit. I've barely been at any club sessions in the last few years, but the Saturday tempos have been moved to a time I can make and I've enjoyed running those in a group. I'd like to keep them up through the summer and autumn, and maybe also do some longer midweek runs, and I'll have to start thinking about what to take out to fit them in...

about a week before they closed
    I would never live it down if I missed the closing date :pac:

Those tempo runs look encouraging Ray. Are you doing Dunshaughlin next weekend?

Yeah, Dublin this year. For the first couple of months all the long runs are at easy pace, getting up to 20 early, then the distance comes down but the runs start to include steady sections, MP sections, etc

To be honest though, I may end up changing the plan a fair bit. I've barely been at any club sessions in the last few years, but the Saturday tempos have been moved to a time I can make and I've enjoyed running those in a group. I'd like to keep them up through the summer and autumn, and maybe also do some longer midweek runs, and I'll have to start thinking about what to take out to fit them in...

Good stuff - it'll be interesting to see what you take out to fit them in. Best of luck with it

pconn062 wrote: »
    Those tempo runs look encouraging Ray. Are you doing Dunshaughlin next weekend?

Yeah, I'll be there.

How about you? Great to see you back running well - are you going to give it a shot or are you sticking to track this summer?

Yeah, I'll be there.

How about you? Great to see you back running well - are you going to give it a shot or are you sticking to track this summer?

Thanks Ray, no won't be there, 10k too long for me at the minute but a few of the guys I coach are hoping to run. I'm happy enough just to try and stay injury free and jump into the odd race when I feel like it. No major plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow evening Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hope all is ok Ray, saw you walking back after 3k holding your side.

• Advertisement

Ah grand, a sudden sharp stitch stopped me in my tracks but no harm done

Advertisement