Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Monday - 6k recovery at lunch, platelet donation in the evening

Tuesday - 14 x 200, 200 jog recovery
    I was thinking of continuing the interval progression from previous weeks, but instead looked up the Magness plan to see what sessions he has this far out - short intervals again.
    Usual thing of diverting to Eamonn Ceannt park on the way to work, a few sprints to wake up, and laps around the park. Fair amount of variation in times - 37, 40, 41, 40, 39, 40, 42, 37, 41, 42, 36, 41, 38, 37 - depending on drags and turns. No time for adjusting pace on these anyway. Managed to miscount them and thought I was done after 13, so that was a walk recovery, with the last 200 outside the park.
    Fairly wrecked on the jog into work, and didn't notice the broken paving stone on Macken Street until I'd tripped over it :rolleyes: Rolling landing to get some nice grazes on my elbow and hip :rolleyes:

Wednesday - longish run
    Extended again, but again by not as much as I'd expected. Ran out to Clonskeagh as usual, then ran through the park along the Dodder to come out on Milltown Road at Alexandra College, and run the route from there. I knew there was a hill there and wanted to practice it. I thought it went on for much longer - it's only 100m long, and not even that steep - I remembered it as being harder. Then all gradual downhill to the junction and around the corner. I suppose the other side of it is that the climb in Clonskeagh starts a little earlier, before the bridge over the Dodder. But altogether it's only 25m, over 2.5km - Chesterfield avenue up to Castleknock is the same overall gradient, a steadier drag where Clonskeagh is a bit bumpier.
    Anyway, only 22k altogether, so next week I'll do 2 laps of the UCD section instead. Pace was okay, easy until the marathon route and then I guess steady, but I wasn't looking for a particular pace, just running well.

Thursday - very easy 8k into work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Is platelet donation similar to blood donation, and if so would you not do it before an easy day?

Murph_D wrote: »
    Is platelet donation similar to blood donation, and if so would you not do it before an easy day?

It has less of an effect, as I understand it.
    They don't take the red blood cells, so oxygen-carrying capacity is unchanged, the only real effect is on blood volume.
    :confused: I think :confused:

I don't have a lot of flexibility in my schedule anyway - session goes before long run, and I can't do long run on Thursdays because that's when juvenile training is on and I have to be home on time, and Friday is too close to the weekend sessions, so it have to do the session on Tuesday to run long on Wednesday to get home on Thursday.

Then I end up working late on Thursday :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Murph_D wrote: »

Not similar, in that they only take platelets, which aid clotting, and not red cells. This means that, theoretically, there is no detrimental effect on training afterwards. I'll let Ray comment definitively on that, because my experience was with the old Plasma programme, now discontinued. I didn't have a high enough count for the platelet programme, whereas the other half did, which is why she has an enormous number of contributions - twice as many as me now, since the advent of my running 'career' means I am loath to ever donate these days, because there's some always some or training/racing issue looming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ah, already answered.

• Advertisement

Thursday PM - very easy home from work

Friday - 8k into work

Saturday - daughter's birthday, and I was forbidden from going to the club tempo session:o. Had planned to do a split tempo on my own instead, but I'm deep into September tiredness so just went for an easy run instead. Took about half an hour to start feeling human again.

Sunday - Wings and lamb shawarma kebabs are not ideal food for the night before a run. Took this one easy too, but could feel what was left of the food in my stomach for at least an hour:o. Long run around Tymon and up to Bohernabreena, nice and easy, getting a bit faster when I turned for the downhill and started getting closer to home. 33.5k, my longest training run ever afaik.

Just two and a half weeks of heavy training left really, and then will start cutting back...

Monday - recovery run home from work

Tuesday - morning 6 x 800 off 2:30 recovery (walk then jog)
    stopped into the park as usual for these, a few sprints to warm up, then 2:52, 2:47, 2:56, 2:43, 2:59, 2:45 (some of them 3/4m up, some 3/4m down)

lunch - 6k very easy

Wednesday - 2 hours/25k
    Out to Clonskeagh again, 2 laps from the Dodder to Roebuck and the flyover and through UCD to the Dodder again, and home again after.

Still fairly tired this week. A bit too soon to start counting down the runs, but the sessions and long runs are almost done...

Thursday - 9k slow in and out of work

Friday - 9k slow into work

Saturday - tempo Saturday, 10k this time
    Started off a bit fast on this, 3:44 for the first lap, finding my spot behind the faster people and people doing fewer laps, then settled into it. Went through 10k in 38:00, same as the Lakes 10k :rolleyes:
    Dodging parkrunners a bit on the last lap, they had to change the route because of fallen trees so reached the concert field earlier. Someone fell on the turn in the field, so my cooldown was interrupted by a run to the finish line to get the first aid box, but she was gone when I got back...

Sunday - long run with a couple of clubmates. 2k down to meet them, then an easy run to the park via Ballyfermot roundabout. Stopped opposite Donore to sort ourselves out, then went for 8 miles at marathon pace - Parkgate street entrance, Garda HQ, Lords Walk, up Chesterfield to Myo's, down the outside and back in Knockmaroon (which I missed, initially, forgot it was inset from the road :rolleyes:) and finished on Upper Glen. The trouble with running with P is that he doesn't slow down for hills :pac: Managed to drag him back eventually to run Chesterfield at a sane pace while letting go on the downhills, came in on target overall. It was work, more than it should be on the day, but manageable. Then back out by Donore, through Ballyer and home, a bit more than 20 miles altogether.

Monday - day off work, so two recovery runs. 6k in the morning and 5k in the evening, both very slow

Tuesday - day off yesterday meant I wasn't running in to work, so intervals at lunchtime in Irishtown instead (park not track). 6 x 800 off 2:30 again, 3 in one direction, 3 in the other. Not very fast - 2:53, 2:51, 2:55, 2:52, 2:57, 2:53. A couple of k warmup and cooldown.
    Then very easy 8k home

Wednesday - very easy 8k into work
    In the evening, brought the kid over to UCD for a maths grind and had an hour to run myself. 2k warmup brought me to the bridge over the Dodder on the marathon route, 9k at marathon pace around the route as far as the flyover, through UCD, back onto the route at the same place, back up Roebuck, then into UCD from Fosters avenue, and finally a 2k cooldown.
    Legs were pretty tired starting this and full of little twinges. Found the pace okay (though I was one second slow per k on average :eek::() but the twinges were getting twingier on the second lap, which is why I turned into UCD there instead of continuing around to the flyover again, and gave myself a couple of minutes for stretches (!) at the end.
    Hills are a bit hillier at marathon pace :) but you also notice how many flat and even slightly downhill bits there are on that stretch.

Thursday - 6k at lunch and 8k home, both very easy

Friday - 9k into work, again very easy

Saturday - another 10k tempo
    Same pace as last week, happy with that. Some of the guys started earlier and did 14k :eek:

Sunday - long run. A gang got together to leave cars in town and drive to the park to run most of the route. I had juvenile cross country to attend, so had to be finished earlier. I ran up to the park to meet them there. So 8k up to the zoo car park, and about 14k on the marathon route from there, all easy enough pace. At Sarsfield Road I went on ahead to do some marathon pace stuff. All fine until Crumlin Road, where the wind was out, pace dropped by 10-15 seconds on that stretch - which it will again on the day if it is windy, I'll tuck and and get shelter as much as possible but won't be pouring energy into the wind at that stage of the race. The annoying thing was that my watch lost satellite reception around the hospital. I had to switch it off and back on again for it to start tracking again. Wouldn't mind so much on an easy section, but pain in the arse when you're trying to stay on pace. Finished about 10k of about MP at Terenure and jogged back home, about 22 miles altogether.

MP section was a bit slow, even on the non-Crumlin Road sections, but it's been a long week - a long month - I'm not too bothered.

That was the last full weekend, though midweek will be the full 6 x 800 and 25k, tapering down from next week. Also, I tried one of the Maurten gels on Sunday, no problems, quite nice actually, so I'll be going with them for the marathon. I usually take a couple of gels that contain caffeine (and a couple without) so will most likely take a caffeine tablet instead. (I don't drink coffee)

• Advertisement

Crumlin strikes back. ;)

Monday - recovery run at lunch. Garmin lost satellite again, had to be restarted

Tuesday - 15k into work, including 6 x 800 in the park. Seemed to go okay
    recovery run at lunch

Wednesday - 2 hours ish, 25k ish, 2 loops of the UCD section of the marathon route and home

Thursday - easy run into work

Watch seems to have finally given up the ghost. Battery died and is refusing to recharge. The brother is going through an old school phase at the moment though, so he's going to give me a lend of his for the next few weeks.

Thursday - easy run home again

Friday - 8k easy into work
    got a lend of my brother's 630 for a couple of weeks. I knew he wouldn't need it for the marathon, but he's going through a watchless phase anyway so he dropped it over Thursday evening :)

Saturday - 3 x 5k marathon pace, 1k steady recovery
    PD couldn't do a long run on Sunday so wanted to do this Saturday, I said I'd join him instead of doing the tempo. (Well, he wanted to do 4 intervals, but I talked him down) Stuck to the tempo lap anyway, so there were a load of us running around at different paces.
    Intervals went well. We took it in turns to lead on each lap, so it was nice to switch off a bit every few minutes. All were a bit fast, 4:00 for the first set, 3:58 for the second and third, but felt fine afterwards, less work than the 10k tempos had been.

Sunday - a real taper type run. No real plan so I ended up getting up late. I knew there was a gang meeting up so ran over to them, and between running in a group and running to the front of the group to steer our way around Tymon, ended up going a bit faster than I should. After about 40 minutes with them decided to peel off for home , so only 18k in the end. Still, just under 120k for the week. Will start pulling that back more this week.

more taper running...

Monday - very easy run home from work. Not a lot on the weekend to recover from, but stuck to very easy

Tuesday - 4 x 800 off 2:30 on the way into work - 2:51, 2:43, 2:51, 2:47
    aches and niggles everywhere

Wednesday - no time for a long run today, so
    5k marathon pace at lunch, all a bit fast, just under 4:00/km
    and an easy run home
    then a massage in the evening, first one in years. No real problems, but a few areas to work on myself

Thursday - easy run into work. So slow and easy that I wanted to stop :rolleyes::confused:

Thursday PM - slow run home again

Friday - slow run into work

Saturday - faster running! 6k tempo in Marlay.
    There was a group of 3 guys, none of them doing the marathon, just ahead of me, so I spent half the session resisting the urge to catch up and run with them.

Sunday - slow run again, 13k, but it did get gradually faster.

It's easy to run slow when I'm tired, but this feels boring, like I might as well be walking so why not just walk :rolleyes:

But, I'm feeling less niggly, feet are not so sore in the morning, I'm less tired... just have to hold it together a few more days :pac:

the week that never ends...

Monday - easy run home from work

Tuesday - 4 x 400 off a minute on the way into work
    400s were 76, 84, 74, 84, with and against the wind

Wednesday - 5k marathon pace in Irishtown park at lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Best of luck Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck Sunday Ray, hope it goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Best of luck Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Good luck on Sunday Ray! Thanks for all your invaluable input on the novice thread :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Best of luck tomorrow Ray give it socks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good luck tomorrow Ray! Hope it all goes well for you. Thanks for your advice on the novice thread (and the sub 4) along the way.

The short report -
    Took it fairly handy through the first half as planned, 1.27.30 for halfway? Felt reasonably good and controlled
    Pushed on after Walkinstown roundabout, and felt okay, except for quads getting a bit sore
    Last 10k was a horror show, quads got worse, calves joined in, could barely run at all, or so it felt. Everything after the flyover was just not stopping. Trying to go faster, failing completely, but not stopping. The last couple of miles lasted for years, the last 800 was an eternity, even at that stage, with the finish line in sight I just wanted to stop. But I didn't! So I'm actually reasonably happy.

2.56.3x in the end, which is like a ten second pb, not much of a return for the training :) on the other hand, race times this summer have been terrible, so from that perspective I probably over performed. Whatever, I got to the end without stopping, crawling, or diving in front of a car, all of which seemed like reasonable options in the last half hour, so I'll take it :)

I’d be taking the PB for sure under the circumstances. Fair play for getting to the end - an achievement in itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

RayCun wrote: »
    The short report -
    Took it fairly handy through the first half as planned, 1.27.30 for halfway? Felt reasonably good and controlled
    Pushed on after Walkinstown roundabout, and felt okay, except for quads getting a bit sore
    Last 10k was a horror show, quads got worse, calves joined in, could barely run at all, or so it felt. Everything after the flyover was just not stopping. Trying to go faster, failing completely, but not stopping. The last couple of miles lasted for years, the last 800 was an eternity, even at that stage, with the finish line in sight I just wanted to stop. But I didn't! So I'm actually reasonably happy.

2.56.3x in the end, which is like a ten second pb, not much of a return for the training :) on the other hand, race times this summer have been terrible, so from that perspective I probably over performed. Whatever, I got to the end without stopping, crawling, or diving in front of a car, all of which seemed like reasonable options in the last half hour, so I'll take it :)
    Great running, very well done.

So, since I'm awake, a bit more detail

Training this year since Rotterdam has had good and bad points. Decent consistency, the group tempo runs have been good, and I enjoyed the group long runs over the last few months. Bad - my midweek training was less purposeful because I wasn't following a defined plan, and I think the lack of strength training this year is a real weakness. Even the bodyweight stuff in the morning was neglected over the summer. The last couple of months have felt solid, the summer not so much.

Races have been ****e. 62.28 for 10 miles. 1.23.23 for a half. 38 goddamned minutes for a 10k. But the tempo runs and long runs felt okay. So I decided to go for a 1.27 first half. That's so easy that 1.25 for a half marathon afterwards should be fine, right? And if not, well, if I wasn't in 2.52 shape and ran 1.26 in the first half, I'd be ****ed. If I ran 1.27 in the first half, maybe I could hold it for the second half.

So, LUAS in, bag dropped, hi to menoscemo and Chinguetti, and made my way up to the start line. Took a look at the queues for the toilets and decided I'd be grand. I'd had my usual breakfast - muesli, boiled eggs, oatcakes, cup of tea, and one of the Maurtens drinks on my way in on the LUAS. Had a small bottle of water/beetroot juice with me to wash down a caffeine tablet on the start line, left most of it undrank. Clothes thrown off a few minutes before the start - didn't even keep the hat or gloves - laces double-knotted, and shuffled up to the start...

First couple of kms, too fast, of course, but not by much, 3:58 and 4:00. Basically trying to relax into a rhythm. I must have been the furthest foward of my clubmates - didn't see any of them before the start - because they started passing me over the first couple of miles. (theboyblunder ran 2:38:04, Gary Crossan 2:43, and S O'S 2:44, after being hospitalised earlier in the year and barely able to walk for a few weeks in the spring) Down to the river where the club was stewarding and settled into 4:05 for the third k.

Across the river and up the first hill, eased off to 4:12 for 2k and gave HelenAnne a shout. Was there a water station on the north circular? I had a swig of water and poured some over my head. That had been a bit of a worry in the last few days actually - I'd had a bit of a head cold since Friday, temperature up, sneezing, runny nose. Wrapped up warm both days and felt okay when I woke up, but sometimes during the race, especially in those early miles, I felt I was still a bit feverish. My three clubmates who were also going for 2:52 passed me around here. I let them go, hoping to see them again before the finish.

6 and 7 into the park. 4.05 for each km, and although it was still very easy, long run effort, for those two k I was thinking about keeping the pace up to that mark rather than keeping it down. Passed the first casualty, one of the Kenyans dropped out at the zoo. Took the gel I'd been carrying in my hand.

8 was up Chesterfield, nice and slow, 4:17. Chatted briefly to a guy who ran Amsterdam last week, was planning to jog this one around in something under 3. 9, 10, 11 were a little too fast, 4:08, 4:09, 4:11 trying to keep a steady effort but overdoing it a little.

Turned at Castleknock at the 10k mark, and it looks like I've already managed to lose about 150m somewhere? Feck. Some nice relaxed downhill to follow, 3:59 and 3:52 to the entrance to the park again. It's around here that I notice a wheelchair athlete, I must have passed him in the park but he flew by me outside, we'd keep passing and repassing each other all the way to Fosters Avenue.

4:02 for Knockmaroon road to the top of Upper Glen Road, and 4:00 down and around through Chapelizod. Probably a little too fast, the momentum from the downhill staying with me. Another sip of water and some over the head at the Donore water station, and took another gel. Asked one of the spectators in Chapelizod for a sausage but didn't get one :(

Slowed right down for St Laurence's Road, 4:24. My clubmates had been in sight all through the park, a handy yardstick for pace, but this was the last I saw of them. Next few k I don't remember much, 4:09, 4:04, 4:08, 4:07, all pretty much as planned, staying relaxed as much as possible.

Halfway was about 1:27:30, a little slower than planned but not far off, and felt comfortable. Another gel, and another slow km, 4:20, taking it easy up the Crumlin Road. 4:12 and 4:10 to get me around to the roundabout.

24k in about 1:39/1:40. This was where I wanted to start making up ground - nice flat and downhill roads, family support, lots of club support and my local roads that I know well. Maybe got a little carried away, but you have to give these things a go. 4:03 down Cromwellsfort Road, giving my family a wave. 4:00 down to the KCR, with a shout from the coach and some clubmates stewarding. 4:07 and 4:10 around to Bushy park, that uphill drag we all love so well from the Terenure 5 mile. 4:03 into Terenure and 4:06 through Rathgar. Another gel on the way. Energy levels were good, and I was enjoying running, but my quads were getting sore. Not changing my stride (I think, though looking back I don't seem to have thought much about how I was running in the first half of the race) but tightening up.

Kept pushing on, 4:00 and 4:05, although that 4:05 was not a good sign, since it included the downhill to the Dropping Well. 4:09 through Milltown and the 20 mile mark, and going through the arch I knew I was in trouble. Quads getting tighter, calves tightening up too. 4:19 over the Dodder, and that was not me taking it easy on an uphill.

4:27 by the mosque. Not pushing too hard, the remaining 8k didn't seem so short after all. Not too worried about getting past the uphill, but not confident that I'd be able to speed up again on the downhill.

4:26 to the top of Roebuck, and a welcome shout from Krusty.

4:08 down Fosters Avenue and onto the bypass, legs locking up with every stride.

4:16 across the bypass, and I spot a club singlet ahead of me. Someone is having a worse day, pull him in.

4:09 down Nutley avenue, catching M, who has stopped to try stretching out a cramp. Jesus it would be nice to stop. I don't think it would do me any good, nothing is in spasm just locked up and unresponsive, but stopping, stopping sounds good

Turn the corner onto Merrion Road, and someone shouts "last corner", ****, I think that actually makes it worse, 3k to go on a long, straight road. 4:28 and maths is too hard, how much extra have I run, how much more than 2k do I have left?

4:26 through Ballsbridge and it feels like ten minutes. People are streaming past me, I can't lift my heels, can't lift my knees, just trying to keep moving forward. Pins and needles in my hands?

4:28 for the last km. just keep moving forward keep moving forward keep moving forward.

Cross the bridge. This is the bit you're supposed to sprint! I manage a slightly faster hobble. I hear one of my clubmates, PD from the 2:52 crew, getting announced over the line. Hobble hobble. Blue carpet. Hobble hobble hobble. Hobble a bit more. And a bit more. And some more. And finally stop.

2:56:35 (:32 chip time)
    449 overall, 429 male, 51 in age category

I met a couple of the guys at the end and shuffled through the chute ("this top is too small, I can't get it over my head", "maybe if you opened the zip?") and around to the west side of the square, before deciding that I needed to lie down and elevate my legs. Which meant getting a wheelchair called for me, and being brought all the way back to the finish line to sit in the medical tent for 10 minutes and eat jellies. 5 marathons, 3 tents :o.

So, 4 minutes slower than planned, an enormous 10 second PB over my last marathon (after how many thousand miles of training), but I'm still happy enough with the day. I think partly because I was in a good mood at the start of the day, really enjoyed the atmosphere (was so glad to finally get started after waiting through taper). Partly because the last few miles hurt so much I was delighted to finish :pac: Just stopping running has never felt so rewarding :) Not a great performance by any measure, but decent, and that'll do me.

still no running, just posting these -

10k 41:35 496th
    Half 1:27:28 498th
    30k 2:04:06 471st
    End 2:56:35 449th

honestly surprised to have made up any places in the last section

using the time off to work out the next block of training...

Monday
    (lunch run)
    easy run home
    coach in gym

Tuesday
    easy run in
    club session in evening

Wednesday
    easy run in/lunch run (both)
    gym session

Thursday
    (lunch run)
    easy run home with hill sprints
    coaching

Friday
    easy run in
    (lunch run)

Saturday
    tempo session - shorter distances for the next while, which means faster
    coach at track
    (afternoon run)

Sunday
    longer run (using the long runs from the Magness 10k schedule)
    coaching on the hills

all the runs in brackets are lower priority, will drop them if more recovery needed.

Races are Dublin intermediates, National novice, Dublin masters, Raheny, GIR, Terenure, Tallaght 5k/Leinster road, Dunshaughlin, and a few more along the way. Charleville and Frankfurt next autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

RayCun wrote: »
    using the time off to work out the next block of training...

Monday
    (lunch run)
    easy run home
    coach in gym

Tuesday
    easy run in
    club session in evening

Wednesday
    easy run in/lunch run (both)
    gym session

Thursday
    (lunch run)
    easy run home with hill sprints
    coaching

Friday
    easy run in
    (lunch run)

Saturday
    tempo session - shorter distances for the next while, which means faster
    coach at track
    (afternoon run)

Sunday
    longer run (using the long runs from the Magness 10k schedule)
    coaching on the hills

all the runs in brackets are lower priority, will drop them if more recovery needed.

Races are Dublin intermediates, National novice, Dublin masters, Raheny, GIR, Terenure, Tallaght 5k/Leinster road, Dunshaughlin, and a few more along the way. Charleville and Frankfurt next autumn.

What mileage will this bring you too?

Out of interest - why Frankfurt??

• Advertisement

What mileage will this bring you too?

Out of interest - why Frankfurt??

70-80 miles/week, I think, most of them easy or very easy

Why Frankfurt?

Fast course, well-organised, relatively cheap and easy to get to.

Doesn't sell out early and no entry requirements, so we can get a big gang from the club together.

Same day as Dublin means the weather is likely to be good for running, and there are no training schedule adjustments needed - all the races put on in the build-up to Dublin will work for Frankfurt. And a day off next day is handy.

Advertisement