Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

RayCun wrote: »
    70-80 miles/week, I think, most of them easy or very easy

Why Frankfurt?

Fast course, well-organised, relatively cheap and easy to get to.

Doesn't sell out early and no entry requirements, so we can get a big gang from the club together.

Same day as Dublin means the weather is likely to be good for running, and there are no training schedule adjustments needed - all the races put on in the build-up to Dublin will work for Frankfurt. And a day off next day is handy.

My main take away from KC's report was "water in cups" :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My main take away from KC's report was "water in cups" :p

:pac:

I don't drink a lot of water in a race. I reckon pinching the opening closed would be enough for me to drink a mouthful, the rest is going over my head anyway.

You know Rotterdam uses cups too? But they have the sponge in the opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

70-80 miles/week, I think, most of them easy or very easy

Why Frankfurt?

Fast course, well-organised, relatively cheap and easy to get to.

Doesn't sell out early and no entry requirements, so we can get a big gang from the club together.

Same day as Dublin means the weather is likely to be good for running, and there are no training schedule adjustments needed - all the races put on in the build-up to Dublin will work for Frankfurt. And a day off next day is handy.

Just did Frankfurt this year. Its well worth the trip. Any questions about it just ask? For travel we had 6 flying over, two flew to the Frankfurt Hahn airport which is as close to Frankfurt as Kilkenny is to Dublin.

Best of luck with it

Just did Frankfurt this year. Its well worth the trip. Any questions about it just ask? For travel we had 6 flying over, two flew to the Frankfurt Hahn airport which is as close to Frankfurt as Kilkenny is to Dublin.

Best of luck with it

how did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

how did you get on?

Finished with 2.47.22. It is fast so attracts a quality field I was in a group all the way around, which helped as it was fairly windy at stages.

The finish is deadly but to be honest I didn't take to much notice of it (every second counts)until afterwards and waiting for others to finish

• Advertisement

For travel we had 6 flying over, two flew to the Frankfurt Hahn airport which is as close to Frankfurt as Kilkenny is to Dublin.

Ha, just looked that up. Like "Paris Beauvais" which should really be called "Middle of fecking nowhere Beauvais"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just stumbled upon your log, after this post on the Novices thread stuck out to me:
    No reason why not. Maybe take a couple of years to run shorter distances, but no reason why you can't run sub 3. Anyone can do it.

Went back to the first page of your log and your 5k time is virutally the same as mine. I've a lot of reading to get thru! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

Finished with 2.47.22. It is fast so attracts a quality field I was in a group all the way around, which helped as it was fairly windy at stages.

The finish is deadly but to be honest I didn't take to much notice of it (every second counts)until afterwards and waiting for others to finish

I'd second this, was 4 min behind djema and always surrounded by other runners, over 500 runners in front.
    I'd say it's at least 2 min faster than Dublin, this year was meant to be one of the more difficult runs, according to a few locals.
    Highly recommend

jfh wrote: »
    I'd second this, was 4 min behind djema and always surrounded by other runners, over 500 runners in front.
    I'd say it's at least 2 min faster than Dublin, this year was meant to be one of the more difficult runs, according to a few locals.
    Highly recommend

Sorry for the hijack ray.

Why would this year have been tougher??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

Sorry for the hijack ray.

Why would this year have been tougher??

Well I was talking to a few that do it every year and they found the weather conditions not as favourable as other year's. There was a stiff enough breeze & damn cold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 cgooner

still no running, just posting these -

10k 41:35 496th
    Half 1:27:28 498th
    30k 2:04:06 471st
    End 2:56:35 449th

honestly surprised to have made up any places in the last section

Hi we'll done in Dublin, great time and enjoy the log!

Just wondering where you can get the placing breakdown for Dublin as I did it aswell but I don't see the placing on the results section?

Thanks for your help.

go to
    https://www.tdleventservices.co.uk/event-results

Select Dublin marathon on the left and enter your bib number, and click Go!

You get a row of data with your number, name, gender, gender position, etc

On that page, your number is a link. Click it to open a different page that contains your stage positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cgooner

go to
    https://www.tdleventservices.co.uk/event-results

Select Dublin marathon on the left and enter your bib number, and click Go!

You get a row of data with your number, name, gender, gender position, etc

On that page, your number is a link. Click it to open a different page that contains your stage positions.

Thanks for the help and gluck with training.

didn't last the full two weeks, I was getting stir crazy...

Wednesday - 5k at lunch

Thursday - 5k at lunch

Saturday - about 6k

Sunday - about 10k

all easy pace. Right thigh got sore fairly early on Wednesday's run. Pain is gradually reducing and localizing to groin/inside thigh. Another week of easy running and it should be okay, will do something a bit faster on Saturday if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

When is your next race Ray? Just curious as to how much faster stuff you'll have done before you race again.

Next race is the Dublin intermediate cross country, first Sunday in December. It's not a goal race, to be honest, I'll be making up the numbers, so I'm not worried about getting in a certain amount of training. If I feel up to it on Thursday I'll do some strides, maybe a progression run on Saturday, and build up the miles again. But there's no hurry.

more easy stuff...

Monday - about 6k in the afternoon

Tuesday - easy 8k home from work

Wednesday - same back in

Thursday - slightly longer run home, and a few strides

Friday - back in to work

Saturday - met up with the tempo gang again, although numbers were lower post-marathon. Still no watch so just comfortably hard, and probably not very fast, for 5k. Plus a couple of laps warm-up and cooldown.

Sunday - ran over to the Intermediate XC course, 5 laps, back home. A bunch of clubmates arrived for my last two so I ended up running them faster (especially since they didn't know the course so I had to run to the front a couple of times). Legs fairly heavy still, and hip/thigh still giving me some trouble, but gradually improving.

Today - easy run at lunch, over to Irishtown and a few laps of the park.

Monday - lunch run

Tuesday - lunch run
    Easy run home, ending with strides

Wednesday - longer run into work (about 13k)
    Lunch run

Thursday - lunch run
    Easy run home, with six x ten second hill sprints near the end

Friday - longer run into work

Saturday - cross country practice. One lap warm-up, three at tempo, one cooldown. Stopped after two and a bit, joined in with some slower guys after a minute.
    Thirty minute jog in the afternoon

Sunday - two hours easy

After being full of enthusiasm for running after the marathon, now I'm low on energy. Hip/thigh still sore, hamstrings aching, soles of feet sore. Not really in the mood for cross country! (Luckily I'd be about tenth from club, so no expectations) This week has just been about getting the miles in, going out for the second runs, taking the longer routes, and getting in the strides and sprints. Will be about the same this week, but starting back on gym work too.

Will you be Jingle Belling next weekend??

Will you be Jingle Belling next weekend??

I'll be dragging my arse around the intermediate xc course on Sunday :)

• Advertisement

more miles, still no Garmin - I've been informed I'm not getting it until Christmas :) - so all distances approximate and paces can be assumed to be slow...

Monday - run home, finishing with strides, about 10k
    recently I've been doing these on the path instead of grass - easier in the dark anyway - and taking a short walk recovery rather striding diagonals and jogging the connections

Tuesday - 13k into work via Clonskeagh
    9.5 home, and 6x10 hills in Eamonn Ceannt park
    there's a hill in there, I presume made from the earth they dug out for the velodrome. The path is barely visible in the dark, and the tarmac just stops at the top of the hill, but I have just enough space for 10 seconds of sprinting. So about 10m :P

Wednesday - 13.5 into work, added a diversion through a park
    8k at lunchtime, easy in the wind

Thursday - 8k at lunch with workmate
    9k home, with more strides

Friday - 13k into work

Saturday - about 9k in the morning, ending with strides

Sunday - Intermediate XC :eek:
    On a personal level, not much to report - 2k warmup and cooldown, 8k not a lot faster in between. I have no appetite for racing pain at the moment, so this was all run within myself. Started slow, passed people steadily, especially on the downhills, and finished well behind people I should be beating. But that's what I expected from the start - I was only in it to increase club numbers and encourage people into doing cross country races.

For the club though, it was a bigger deal :) Coach said about 6 weeks ago that we had a good shot at this and started signing people up, so we got a good turnout from the faster runners. We weren't expecting to be racing Mitchell Byrne, but we had a lot of depth - 2 in top 10, 2 more in top 20, 2 more in top 30, 2 more in top 40, and 2 more in top 51 - and that's what won it, all the top 6 were important. Some improvement in seven years...

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Saturday - about 9k in the morning, ending with strides

Sunday - Intermediate XC :eek:
    On a personal level, not much to report - 2k warmup and cooldown, 8k not a lot faster in between. I have no appetite for racing pain at the moment, so this was all run within myself. Started slow, passed people steadily, especially on the downhills, and finished well behind people I should be beating. But that's what I expected from the start - I was only in it to increase club numbers and encourage people into doing cross country races.

For the club though, it was a bigger deal :) Coach said about 6 weeks ago that we had a good shot at this and started signing people up, so we got a good turnout from the faster runners. We weren't expecting to be racing Mitchell Byrne, but we had a lot of depth - 2 in top 10, 2 more in top 20, 2 more in top 30, 2 more in top 40, and 2 more in top 51 - and that's what won it, all the top 6 were important. Some improvement in seven years...
    Well done yesterday , made me feel guilty for not running or training for that matter.

lots of running...

Monday - run home from work, finishing with strides

Tuesday - longer run into work
    run home from work
    then went up to the club session. Although what they call short hills is about 250m up and jog down in the same time, what I call short hills is 10-15 seconds of sprinting and 2-3 minutes of recovery, so I was picking gaps between groups to run up and walking down past them :) 5/6k between the warm-up and cooldown

Wednesday - longer run into work
    8k lunchtime

More running...

Thursday - lunch run
    Run home from work, ending with strides

Friday - longer run into work

Saturday - 'tempo' run
    Tagged on to the guy ahead but he's also still in marathon recovery so the 6k ended up being at marathon pace
    Another thirty minutes in the afternoon

Sunday - two hours with some of the guys around Tymon, all easy enough

Close to eighty miles for the week. The coming week will be shorter with Christmas stuff coming up and national novices on Saturday

Less running...

Monday - run home from work + strides

Tuesday - run into work
    Had planned to do the club session that evening, but needed to coach juveniles instead

Wednesday - pre-work run and strides (not into work - run, home, shower, eat, then LUAS in) then work lunch
    gym in the evening. Had an introductory session last week, this was the first real one. 10-15 minute warmup then
    3 x (10 horizontal rows, 10 (each side) single leg hip lift)
    3 x (8 (each leg) single leg squats, 12 (each side) lunge wood chopper)
    3 x (10 squats (just 50kg), 10 med ball push up)
    3 x (10 good mornings (20kg, too light), 10 x-band lateral)
    could barely lift my arms at the end

Thursday - another pre-work run, funeral in the afternoon

Friday - run into work

I wish I could say this lack of running has left me bouncy and ready to race, but it's been too busy. The weather forecast suggests that tomorrow is going to be about survival anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck tomorrow, run well!!

Saturday - down to Navan for the novices.
    got there in a reasonably dry spell, in time to see one of the kids run the u15 race. The rain came down soon after and I spent about an hour sitting in the number collection tent, but things eased off again in time for the women's race. Went for a warmuup lap around the outside as they raced and that was about all my preparation.

The course was decent - only one real drag that you do at the start and end of each lap. No deep mud on the straights, but the turns were cut up pretty badly, and there were a lot of them. Like the intermediates, I started off at the back and worked my way through the field - but not very far through, finishing 225 of 254. I put some work in on the last k, and got a few people in the sprint to the line, but overall it was a tempo run, at best.

On the cooldown jog, one of my clubmates was saying I need a target, he meant a target race but a target was what I needed in the race too. I wasn't trying to get a particular time or beat anyone, and I knew that even if I ran my best possible race I wouldn't have any impact on team scores. So, for the masters I'm going to have to put targets on the back of some of my clubmates...

Club party that evening, and I was knackered

Sunday - meant to go for a long run, but I couldn't drag myself out of bed, ended up doing 5k just to log a run of some description. Feet were pretty sore on this run too.

54km for the week :eek:

Monday - 8k lunch run

Tuesday - 13k run into work, need to get mileage back to respectable levels...

Damn holidays interfering with my running :mad:...

Tuesday - ran home in the evening, 6 x 10 hills

Wednesday - 13k into work, gym in the evening

Thursday - 8k at lunch, work party in the evening

Friday - hungover jog into work

Saturday - not-a-tempo. Usual gang met at the usual spot, but then we jogged out the back of Marlay and around to St Columba's college on the other side of the M50. From here we did 80 seconds hard uphill, 50 recovery.
    The second and third were the hardest, on the road up to the car park at Kilmashogue, then there were a few flat or gentle inclines, before things got steep again. Managed 8 with the lead group, then I waited through one while the group behind caught up, and did a couple more with them, before we all jogged back.

Sunday - out early enough for a longish run, over to the park and around for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Saturday - not-a-tempo. Usual gang met at the usual spot, but then we jogged out the back of Marlay and around to St Columba's college on the other side of the M50. From here we did 80 seconds hard uphill, 50 recovery.
    The second and third were the hardest, on the road up to the car park at Kilmashogue, then there were a few flat or gentle inclines, before things got steep again. Managed 8 with the lead group, then I waited through one while the group behind caught up, and did a couple more with them, before we all jogged back.

That road just before Kilmashogue car park is actual hell. I feel sick at the thought of even trying to run any of it hard!! Well done

Advertisement